mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wild Hair - Racer X 69er experiment

So,

I've been a die-hard 29er guy since my 293 Fisher that I bought back in '03. I really hadn't ridden much prior to this and was busy with med school so I didn't really ride the 26" wheels at all. Just here and there on other's bikes when trading during rides. It was evident that my big wheels rolled better and were more stable but I dind't like the sluggishness - but I was willing to pay that price because the 26" bikes felt so twitchy after being used to my big fish.

So, loooooooooooong story short and after many 29er bikes in the interim (Moots, KM, GF hardtails, another 293, Sir9, RIP9, current ride RX 29er) and 1 XC race, I've been looking for something a little more. What I really wanted (I thought) was a short CS, full suspension 29er. I even spoke to multiple custom framemakers who would not do it due to the added complexity of seat tube maniupulation required (Titus, Vicous, Mint). I didn't want to lose the fast roll of a 29er, wanted FS, but I was tired of not being able to lift the front end, didn't want the loong wheelbase of what is available.

Then while surfing, I ran across a RX 26" bike and after seeing Carver's fisher FS 69er conversion, I purchased the frame. I swapped my 29er rear triangle out for the 26er, bought an inexpensive wheel for the rear tried the experiment.

After two weeks on this bike, It kicks ARSE!!! its a blast and I didn't expect it to be this good. By shortening up the CS, the wheelbase shortens up making it more nimble and manageable. It takes much less english to manuever around the trail. I'm not sure why I had resisted trying a 69er but its really pretty awesome. It also doesn't take the longer windup while accelerating but gets up to speed quickly.

I don't think theres a "best" bike. But this is the most fun I've had on a bike since '03

I'll post pics when I figure out how to shrink my photo files!!
    T

mtbr member
    so you have the front triangle from a Racer X 29er and the rear end from a 26er? Pretty cool.

Hit us with the Pics sir!

mnt bike laws of physics

Awesome!!!

I know, when I heard Carver did that with his Fisher all kinds of ideas were brewing in my head of how to make a 69er. 'Tis sad very few manufacurers make one...non to my liking.

It is quite a risk since you have no idea what the numbers are gonna turn out to be. You might have a super low BB or something else wacked out. Can you measure the BB height for me? And do get those pics for us to see...thanks!

BTW, Can i buy the rear of the 29er and the front of the 26er....just kidding

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yogi - you want them, SOLD! Haha, It would be nice to find a buyer. I think I'll put them on ebay and see what happens, what the heck. I've had this gnawing feeling that I"m wasting parts of a bike but now I just don't care because the bike is so fun.

MMcG - I hear ya, I'm not computer literate beyond checking my email. Luckily someone on the passion forum had the same Q and others gave some tips. Gonna try to put them up tonight. I'll make some measurements - the shock came from the 26" frame and the geo feels much like a 26" RX. I tried it originally with the shorter 29er rear shock but BB was low and HA raked out.

Just had another ride last night - so fun. The only drawback I've found so far is that the seated STEEP climbing is just a hair better on the 29er for traction. On the other hand, I hated standing climbs on the 29er rear because the back end broke loose ALL the time. Now, I can hammer away, no loss of traction.

I heard Trek may use their new suspension with the '09 69ers. That may make them contenders.

High Alpine Adventure
    Well, to resurrect a thread, I'm thinking of something similar. I just finished a build of a Racer-X 29er and I was thinking of selling my Racer-X 26er frame.

Now I'm thinking of throwing a Lefty SL 110 on it and going B-6. The Lefty is a little shorter from axel to crown than a normal 100mm Reba but the 650b wheel will make up for that.

Anyone play around with something like this? I'm think it will be a little slacker with a touch higher BB, which is all good in my book.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB