mtbr member

Which Wide Carbon Rim?

I'm buying a 2014 Carbon Sight or Troy (140mm) with a 150mm pike on the front. I ride alot of flow trails with some intermediate drops (3' or so) and gap jumps (8').

I rode a set enve's laced to I9s and was blown away. I'm looking at some of the carbon wider rims out there and not sure how wide should I go? The Nox's look pretty darn good with 27.5mm inner width, but I gravitate to derby's 35mm inner rim. I like the lb's with 30mm inner, but not sure about the 4-6 week weight. They they are the lowest priced.

Would Derby's 35mm be too wide for a 140mm 27.5 trail bike riding flow trails? Going the other way, would Nox's 27.5mm be wide enough?

I see Ibis is producing 35mm inner width wheels, so maybe wait for those in June?

I'm so confused.....
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Derby designed the new Ibis rim so you can likely get the Derby;s right now.

I just had my first ride on my new Derby's last night and was very impressed on my Santa Cruz 5010 (125mm travel). While I could not really blast the downhill to check for stiffness (due to also bedding in a new set of brakes), the rear wheel did not break loose even once on a very loose rocky climb. I am very impressed on the climbing traction alone.

All the claims may be true. These wider rims are a game changer.

mtbr member
    Subscribing to this thread and anxious to hear everyone's take on this. Planning on upgrading to a wider carbon rim for my new build at some point but don't want to pay Enve prices. Nox, LB, and Derby are on my short list and I have some of the same questions as you.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just had a set of Nextie rims built up. 35mm outer and 29mm inner. Only pavement and snow rides so far. Just thought I would give another option. These are $165 each and have a 2 year warranty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Wide Carbon Rim?-img_20140403_121422_901.jpg  

Last edited by BXCc; 04-10-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Fishing/ Biking
    I would love a set of carbon wheels. Would like to hear everyone's experiences.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My next 650b rims wheel be carbon. Want to follow this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have Derby's 40mm rims on a hardtail. They are fantastic rims and not overkill for a trail bike. I also have a set of edge DH rims, which are a little stiffer, but its not worth the extra $700 per rim!

One by Nine is Fine
    Just asking questions here: How wide is too wide, and how would it be apparent?

Right now there seems to be a race to wide, but there has to be a point of diminishing returns and/or outright dysfunction. What happens when the rim is TOO wide?

Wide light rims are my next upgrade too (after I save for awhile)... haven't yet figured out the criteria for how wide, though.

mtbr member
    good to hear others with the same questions!

Derby is out of stock for a good 6 weeks or so. They are my first choice, but I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the troy or sight and not sure I have that much patience!

For some reason the Nox's really interest me, but is 27.5mm inner diameter going be in the wide rim sweetspot? Plus, they are a bit lighter than the LBs or Derby.

The LBs are 30mm, but are probably a month plus to get, so I might as well get the Derby.

Other options are syntace w35s with a 28.5 id, am classic wide lightening with a 29.3id.

choices...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

If you haven't seen it, this is the most compelling thing I have seen promoting wide rims.

From their example it seems as long as the rim isn't wider than the tread it is helping prevent burps.

Fishing/ Biking
    wow, great commercial from Ibis. I hadn't seen that. Thanks
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

Biking Like Crazy!
    Another vote (if that's what we're doing here) for the Nextie 35mm wide (29mm internal?) with the ti wire in the bead.
    I think they get less exposure, so the lead times are less than LB. I've had mine for awhile now and noticed BCCc post
    above with the decals on them. Mine came plain (stealth).
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I stopped worrying about the weight of my rims over the past few years after destroying far too many light weight aluminum rims. After switching to the heavier Flow EX on my Niner, I was convinced the penalty was more than offset by the increased durability.

I am not sure how the weight vs durability tradeoff will be in a carbon rim but I did decide to go with the heavy duty option on the Derby's despite Ray saying I would probably be fine with the standard layup.

mtbr member

Which Wide Carbon Rim?

One more vote for Derby here. I bought my first one from his first batch last summer/fall, and a second about a month later. They built up very easily using short spokes, which only helps with weight and wheel stiffness. They've been rock solid with no tubeless headaches, incredible ride quality, have allowed crazy low pressures and I haven't trashed one tire on them. I used to go a couple months max before pinch flatting a tire running 25-30% higher pressures on Flow rims. No such trouble on the wide rims even down to 20psi in relentless rocks. I posted pics in another thread of all the rock strikes the derby's shrugged off, and I've crashed and mangled spokes in a way that would have trashed many lesser rims. The Derby's were still true enough to ride normally with two adjacent same-side spokes gone....they're really tough and stiff. The width seems ideal to me for the tire sizes that most non-XC racer mountain bikers use, 2.0-2.4....Makes for a nice fat round donut of grippy shredness with the few 2.1 to 2.35 tires I've tried.
    Ray's over the top with CS and for U.S. riders it's nice to know he's local if you need something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    I just had a set of Nextie rims built up. 35mm outer and 29mm inner. Only pavement and snow rides so far. Just thought I would give another option. These are $165 each and have a 2 year warranty.

where did you get them, I've never seen those graphics....looks good.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr View Post
    I like the lb's with 30mm inner, but not sure about the 4-6 week weight. They they are the lowest priced.

Dealing with LB was painless. It took ~4 weeks from order to delivery. Rims look great and setup tubeless easier than anything I have used before including Stan's. Weight for 35mm 650B rim was ~412g.

The ride is stiff/precise, but I am still dialling in the suspension on my new bike so it's too early to say much else.

I'd buy another set from LB.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybkr View Post
    where did you get them, I've never seen those graphics....looks good.
    Thanks. They were applied by Nextie. I just requested gloss black. They came up with the rest. The decals were applied to a glossy rim, matte coat was applied, then decals were removed. So technically there are no decals on the rims. I've tried many times to get a good pic of it but its near impossible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456 View Post
    Derby designed the new Ibis rim ...
    Not sure that's entirely true. It sounds like there certainly was quite a bit of collaboration between Ray and Ibis when he was designing his rim and they may have helped him get his overseas source set up, but according to the Ibis press release their design is unique (although it does look suspiciously like a Derby rim).

The Nextie look interesting, and at that price hard to ignore. I was about to pull the trigger on the Nox but that 29mm inner diameter sounds just about right for my build... although 422 gr is a little heavier than the NOX and LB isn't it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm between NOX and Derby myself. Go all the way wide at 34mm inner, or not quite at 28 (btw, if you haven't heard, NOX is going hookless with 7mm of rim wall). NOX has a convincing site explaining all the virtues of his design and builds and the price for complete would be the same as what my lbs would build the Derbys for.

What throws me off is why companies like Enve and Mavic with their newest rims aren't going so wide, in fact Mavic went narrower with the rear on their latest enduro set.

mtbr member
    Depends which size wheel Krob. For 275s, Noxs weigh 420, LB DH 450, LB AM 400, Derybs 465 (HD) and Nextie 390. The nexties have a hook bead, while Noxs, Derbys and LBs do not.

Everyday I think about ordering the Noxs, then I start thinking about the additional width of the LBs and Derbys.

Derbys are backordered an easy 5-6 weeks, if that matters at all. If I could grab Derbys sooner, I think I would jump on them.

I don't know, maybe the LBs are the way to go. Then I starting thinking, the difference between the LBs and Noxs is pretty small - 2.5mm.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

The Nextie look interesting, and at that price hard to ignore. I was about to pull the trigger on the Nox but that 29mm inner diameter sounds just about right for my build... although 422 gr is a little heavier than the NOX and LB isn't it?
    The Nextie's are listed as 390 +-10. Those are my actuals weights. Could be some inaccuracy of my scale. Honestly, if they are a little stronger than normal, I'm good with that. The CS was great and took 3 weeks to arrive. Is hookless stronger and better? Maybe, but I've never killed a rim at the bead so I should be good. The 2 year warranty helps too. I like the Derby's but I wasn't sure if it would fit my frame. And the Nox rims didn't fit in my budget.

What a rough life we live when we split hairs about carbon rims for our pedal bikes. it sure is fun though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    The Nextie's are listed as 390 +-10.
    What a rough life we live when we split hairs about carbon rims for our pedal bikes. it sure is fun though
    Indeed! Yeah I was just visiting their website and see their claimed weight is 390 +/- 15 gr. Even at 420 gr that's pretty much in line with Nox at quite abit less money.

Nox $469; Weight: 420 +/- 10 gr

Nextie: $165; Weight: 390 +/- 15 gr

Light Bicycles: $175; Weight: 400 +/- 15 gr

Derby: $299; Weight 440 +/- 10 gr (465 gr for the HD)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    those are sweet, very tempted to go with the 12k vs UD...ill be lacing them to blue I9 and gold nipples..tough call

mtbr member

Which Wide Carbon Rim?

Love, love, love my Derby's. They are amazing and I like supporting a local business.