View Poll Results: Which reason most convinced you to go with 650b?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roll better than 26"

32 43.24%
  • Stronger than 29er

2 2.70%
  • Shorter chainstays than 29er

18 24.32%
  • I dare to be different

11 14.86%
  • My last name is Pacenti

11 14.86%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why you chose 650b?

I'm trying to find out the MAIN reason why you decided to go with 650b wheels over the other sizes. We all know the arguments, but it'd be interesting to see which one was most pursuasive, eh?
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    I voted for shorter chainstays, as if and when I ever get a FS bike again, it will be with 650bs because it will allow for shorter chainstays than those long ass stays required on 29er Fullies.

Reviewer/Tester
    My reasons ... The wheel size has all the attributes of both 26" and 29'er in one neat package. With the appropriate fork, most 26" bikes will accept a 650B wheel so your endo ratio will drop markedly and your rollover will rise. As a full 650B with the bigger wheels on both ends, you get a nice balanced machine that handles well, has the acceleration of a 26" bike and the rollover capability of a 29'er.

What's not to like?

Rainman.
    Last edited by Rainman; 11-20-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i voted the "different" one, but i choose to run a 650b on the front because it is as tall as something as crazy-large as a 26x2.7 at the weight of a typical 26x2.3

a taller front has worked for offroad motorbikes for a really long time as well

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

yup

It just so happens my last name is Pacenti... go figure.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    I see two votes for Pacenti - did Mrs. Pacenti vote too?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I see two votes for Pacenti - did Mrs. Pacenti vote too?
    No she didn't... I am just as surprised as you!

Pacenti Cycle Design

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Need more choices, and ability to pick more than 1 item.

I need a bike with shorter wheelbase, and stiffer wheels.

1 ☼ ♥
    I'm short (5'6") and the 29er platform just doesn't cut it. Not to mention the slower handling from the longer wheelbase. With the 650b wheels I can still roll over S**T pretty well while maintaining the shorter wheelbase that I like. The 26" geometry has been good to me and the style of riding I do.

mtbr member
    It just made sense. My favorite 26" tires were about 700mm in diameter. Why not reduce my peripheral wheel weight and be able to use lower pressures? Then I built a few 540b bikes, and now I'm super sold. Riding is believing.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Cuz, I have 6 other bikes, and needed an excuse to rebuild my first FS frame.
    Turns out to be one of the funnest bikes I have.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

TNC
    noMAD man

I am Pacenti!...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    No she didn't... I am just as surprised as you!
    No, I am Pacenti...No, I am Pacenti...

I'm in the better rolling camp, but I like a subtle cornering improvement they provide also. I'm a long travel AM bike guy, and I love this thing on the front of my Nomad. I'd probably also like one in the rear, but it won't fit. I'm not too broken hearted about a 26" rear, as I like the way they accelerate. In the front, however, with a 160mm fork, my Nomad is just that much more capable in rough terrain. On a longer travel bike, if the front wheel clears something, it's a good bet the rear will follow relatively well. Two of the guys at the shop are running Spec Epics with these front and rear and love them.

mtbr member
    Theres 3 Pacenti's here?...haha

Only dead people are old
    I just dare to be different and I like things that make sense in such a simple way (like 650B sized wheels). I've never been happier with my rides than now (and I have only tried a 650B front wheel with a 26" rear - a sizzling combo).

I like to ride my bicycle
    I don't have a 650b bike yet, but one reason that appeals to me is higher bottom bracket clearance for my Rush.

mtbr member
    Hmmm.

4 Pacenti votes out of 24 seems to indicate that almost 13% of 650b owners have honesty issues.

Makes me wonder about the validity of the other results... and further erodes my faith in mankind.

Not a whole lot, but a little.

Keep voting. Vote early. Vote often!
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Hmmm.

4 Pacenti votes out of 24 seems to indicate that almost 13% of 650b owners have honesty issues.

Makes me wonder about the validity of the other results... and further erodes my faith in mankind.

Not a whole lot, but a little.

Keep voting. Vote early. Vote often!

fwiw, I am not the only one....

http://www.champagnewines.com/wine/i...ro_pacenti.htm

http://www.interaction-design.org/re...a_pacenti.html

http://articles.latimes.com/writers/john-pacenti

Pacenti Cycle Design

TNC
    noMAD man

Lol!

Well, I swear my post about being Kirk Pacenti was based on a lame "Spartacus" analogy and not multiple voting.

That said, you're always going to get jokers or just plain curmudgeons trying to muddy the water in polls like these. I think the commentary that follows the polls is much more meaningful that the numbers reflected. Anyone can punch the little empty hole in the poll vote box. The comments that follow by individuals willing to do so are more substantive.

I'm thinking that maybe "ACORN" or a group of disgruntled 29'ers have infiltrated this poll to cause havoc and push their evil agenda........and before heads explode......that's a joke.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Well, I swear my post about being Kirk Pacenti was based on a lame "Spartacus" analogy...
    Ha! I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pacenti Cycle Design

www.derbyrims.com
    - Easier rolling than 26 wheels
    - Short chainstays
    - Good gearing rates
    - Better traction than 26 wheels
    - Many choices of existing high quality coil or air forks available compared to very few 29'er fixed travel air sprung forks.
    - Allows longer travel suspension than feasible with 29 wheels.
    - Converting my ’06 Ibis Mojo to 650b raised the BB almost 1/2 inch allowing the deeper sag I like with increased pedal clearance.

Converting to 650b has got me demoing again after hating the handling of the early Fisher 29'ers and a couple other early brands which turned me off to 29'ers as just too big for good handling bikes. The Turner Sultan DLW and especially the Pivot 429 are very well balanced and good handling, the Turner 29’er is slow handling but well balanced for more rough and loose or sandy trail. But the only advantage over my longer travel 650b Mojo with similar suspension design is the bigger wheels do roll very slightly easier over sharp bumps at low speed, otherwise 650b with more suspension travel is much higher in performance in nimble handling, acceleration, and climbing and downhill.

I think 29’ers, possibly even bigger wheels for very tall riders, rule singlespeed and rigid bike off road uses for M to XL sided riders. 650b should takeover in a few years as the standard wheel size for trail bikes. Downhill bikes needing very large volume heavy tires will probably remain 26 inch.

mtbr member
    derby probably pretty much summed it all up right in that post of his above.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    derby probably pretty much summed it all up right in that post of his above.
    Yup. That about says it all. I tried to vote for more than one catagory, but I had to go with rollover....although I was thinking about changing my last name to Pacenti...if they would have me

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm using mine for commuting w/ Fatty Rumpkins. I went for it just because I've tried rolling 40ish mm tires with 29ers and 26ers. 26ers spin out (I ride SS/Fixed) and 29ers slowed me on hills and took too much work to keep up speeds. I like it, minus a really low BB. I didn't have money for a new frame, so I threw them on my KM. I rode them the 130 miles to Portland with gear for Thanksgiving and was pretty happy.

mtbr member
    May 2007

too short for a 29'er

Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    I'm trying to find out the MAIN reason why you decided to go with 650b wheels over the other sizes. We all know the arguments, but it'd be interesting to see which one was most pursuasive, eh?
    I would think one of the most common sense reasons(hopefully) to run 650's would be a person's stature, ie: shorter inseam, and perhaps torso/arm length. I'm 5.9'ish on a good day with a 30" inseam, with a longer torso in proportion to my legs,,, and although I fit decent on a 29'er, 650's make more sense for my weird body build. How many times have you seen riders well under 5'7" riding 29'ers, a bunch eh? Doesn't make any sense to me but some tiny riders do love the big wheels so more power to them..........it's all good. I will have a 650 b custom bike put together by April and i look forward to having another option when I go to the garage. This bike will also be able to run a 29'er up front, that's what I am stoked about experimenting with

mtbr member
    im going to use one on the rear of a non sus coirrected 29er kelly frame with a jones/vicious fat hub fork up frront and the snow rim/endo tyre. shoul all balance out geom wise and ride wise.

i appreciate the new choice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast