Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who's riding an X-Fusion Velvet RL2R 650b?

Going to convert my custom steel hardtail frame. Price is right and heard good things about X-Fusion.

Any direct experience to report?

The site says, "Internally converted to 650b fork using an internal travel spacer." I reached out to the company but haven't heard back. What does that mean? Easy fix I (relatively capable) can do, or does it require a "qualified shop mech?"

mtbr member
    Mine is a 2012 set at 140mm without the travel spacer. I let the air out of mine and the tire was no where near the crown.

The fork is awesome. easy to set up,stiff ,smooth rebound knob has a ton of range. it says it has 16 clicks of rebound but mine has 32...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well you can judge for yourself, there are guides in the tech part of their site.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My wife is running the xfusion RL-something-or-other (the version without the lockout) on her Carver Killer B. She is very happy with the way the fork works. Her fork has about 16 clicks of rebound to play with.

mtbr member
    Xfusion stuff is really good for the price, top performance for resonable cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I converted mine with a snap on suspension travel spacer that xfusion sold me. It has a small cutout and allows you to push it onto the shaft. This way you don't fully have to disassemble the shock to put on like the website tech manual shows. All you need is shock oil, slicky honey, and an 11mm/12mm deep well socket.
    -Matt
    Long time auto mechanic, newbie MTBR.
    http://www.SpoolinUp.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have the 2012 Velvet(no remote). I had it setup 140mm 650b spacer installed when i bought it. 140mm travel was too much so decided to change it to 120mm myself. I could not get that little travel pin pressed out so had to send it back to fusion. They were quick in turning it around. I think they charge $40 for that but that includes the return shipping. 120mm works better for me.

I have used a lot of xc forks. This velvet is the best. Very linear, responsive. No stacking up like Fox forks. Like it a lot, a great fork, not just a great fork for the price.

mtbr member
    Has anyone road the new Slant yet? I'm building up a new 650b bike and like the 34mm stanchions from Fox and X-Fusion and need to decide between the two. I've tried the Fox but haven't been able to get my hands on a Slant. Thoughts?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ctopher63 View Post
    Has anyone road the new Slant yet? I'm building up a new 650b bike and like the 34mm stanchions from Fox and X-Fusion and need to decide between the two. I've tried the Fox but haven't been able to get my hands on a Slant. Thoughts?
    Don't think it is released yet,ordered one from my Lbs as of now has not got a conformation on when or how soon it will be released.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Don't think it is released yet,ordered one from my Lbs as of now has not got a conformation on when or how soon it will be released.
    Thanks, I've got a call into the manufacturer for details, keep me posted when you get it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The 650B Slant fork won't be available until mid year 2013

What I'll be curious to see is if the 26" version will clear 650B tires also like Fox 32 forks do?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    are you going to get a tapered steerer and a headset adapter or will you get a straight steerer 1 1/8?

I'm thinking of getting the tapered and running it with an adapter unless I see a tapered frame I like. This is for conversions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm waiting for the new Slant to come out also, to run on my Tracer 275. They've pushed back the release date about twice now. Spoke to X-Fusion in December, and they said it would be out in February. I'd like to believe they won't have to push the release back any farther than that. I've been very happy with the Velvet on my hardtail. I also like their firm lockout. I've never seen a bad review of any of their forks, so I'm waiting. The Slant RL is listed as lighter than the non-TALAS Fox 34.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got a 2012 Velvet. Tire does not rub bottom of crown with fork completely bottomed with Nevegal 2.1. Not sure why they advise adding the travel reducer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Disappointing to here another set back on release.I have a 2012 Fox Float 36 sitting around and will have to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liflawless View Post
    Who can tell me which bicycle wheels
    suit cycling newbie or not.And I ride the bicycle only as a transportation,thanks.
    Hey lawless, that's a tough question to answer with the limited info you've provided, and this is probably not the best thread to post it in. You've waded into the deep end of the pool where all the lunatics who think they know better than professional bike designers argue over minutia...
    I will say that 650b is probably not the way to go simply because it's an emerging trend and current options for complete bikes, commuter tires, etc are VERY limited. You could make out well with 26" or 29" wheels, and likely the benefits of low rolling resistance and steering stability with 29" wheels would probably benefit you more than the nimble handling and full suspension advantages of 26" wheels.......but I'm generalizing, and things like your weight, height, and personal preferences can outweigh the concerns I've mentioned. I'd recommend that you look around and ask some questions in the Beginner's Corner forum, and the Commuting forum.
    Welcome to MTBR, and good luck!

mtbr member
    This is the response I got:

Unfortunately our 650b Slant will not become available until mid year of 2013. If you want another option our Vengeance Air can be reduced to 150mm and is 650b ready out of the box.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not a 650, but just wanted to give a good word for xfusion forks. I've got the Slide on my 29er and love it. Setting up the wife's FS with a Velvet up front and xfusion rear shock also. Very happy with them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is the response I got:

Unfortunately our 650b Slant will not become available until mid year of 2013. If you want another option our Vengeance Air can be reduced to 150mm and is 650b ready out of the box.
    Vengeance is very very good and a beefy fork. Be aware it's A/C @150mm will be 545...it's also a very tall fork.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b