mtbr member

who owns or extensively ridden the el bastardo

please post your thoughts of the el bastardo. please comment (if you can) how it compares to other bikes you have ridden.

i am considering purchasing one but there is really a dearth of info out there. i read the compcyc review but felt like it was a bit ambiguous...

other bikes i am considering: santa cruz blur xc; intense 5.5 fro; el guapo; pivot mach 5

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    please post your thoughts of the el bastardo. please comment (if you can) how it compares to other bikes you have ridden.

i am considering purchasing one but there is really a dearth of info out there. i read the compcyc review but felt like it was a bit ambiguous...

other bikes i am considering: santa cruz blur xc; intense 5.5 fro; el guapo; pivot mach 5

I have one that I have been riding exclusively since March. It's a great bike and does everything I ask it to. There will be very little written about this bike specifically, but that is because it's so new. However, for comparison sake you could refer to the El Ciclon and X5 reviews. The El Bastardo is essentially an El Ciclon / X5 but made for 650B wheels.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn...3_1547crx.aspx

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn...9_1547crx.aspx

The other bikes you are considering are 26" only frames. You could run a 650B wheel in the front of these bikes, but anything other than an apples to apples comparison (F&R 650B wheels) might not give you meaningful insight into how these bikes compare.

650B.com did a review, it's a little more conclusive, but very short.

KRob also did a El Bastardo review at Dirt Demo a couple weeks ago:

2008 Interbike Dirt Demo

Good luck,

KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 10-07-2008 at 05:34 PM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Krobs reviews are the best out there! i'm now beginning to think its not the best time to buy bastardo. may be best to see the next iteration and wait for better wheels and forks... feel free to convince me otherwise.

the more i look at the pivot the more i like it... however, the sale prices at competitivecyclist are awfully appealing.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Krobs reviews are the best out there! i'm now beginning to think its not the best time to buy bastardo. may be best to see the next iteration and wait for better wheels and forks... feel free to convince me otherwise.

the more i look at the pivot the more i like it... however, the sale prices at competitivecyclist are awfully appealing.
    Personally, I try to stay out of the 'convincing business". However, if you read posts about the 650B wheel size from Derby, TNC, YogiProphet, DeisleCruiserHead, Ray Lee and many others, you may just be convinced.

They will tell you there are plenty of fork options that work great already (and if I have anything to do with it, there will be more very soon). They will also tell you that the 650B wheel size offers a significant performance advantage...

Having said that, all the bikes you mentioned are very good; you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Buy the one you think you'd like best and you probably won't be disappointed.

Good luck,

KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 10-08-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

As for wheels and forks. I don't think it get's any better than stans ZTR. Then you've got the blunts if you want some more weight. Forks..........I couldn't be happier with Fox, although it's not an official 650b fork. It's more than capable. White brothers is a good option if you've got the $$$.

I've always thought that Ventana Blue with the Fox white fork would look killer and probably rider pretty darn awesome.

Now is a GREAT time to buy a Bastardo.......Although, what happened to the Rapscallion??

Have I mentioned the Neo is my favorite tire........Just got done riding for 1.5 hours with kung fu traction.

Yea, I'm hooked on 650b.

mtbr member
    cool i'm torn. if only i could ride before i buy. competitive cyclist doesnt have a demo or a built bike for me to even try. no shop in little rock has a built 650b... sucks. more and more i am gravitating to the pivot mach 5...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was so currious about the 650b based on what I was reading I built me one using the Stans rim tubeless. I have a Lefty and the swap was a no brainer. I got to try it for a few weeks until I trashed my Scalpel frame. Although it was a front wheel only setup it made a world of difference. I had to use a loaner bike for three weeks while my Scalpel was in the shop for the warranty job. Hmmm! Back to 26" It seemed to suck IMO. Once I got the Scalpel back I felt right at home again. I even tried some new terrain with mean rock gardens, loose rock switchbacks, and debris polluted trails which can rob one of all their energy. I never felt so good before after finishing this course. I liked the handling much better. I would love to own a bike that had the wheel size in the rear also but I can afford one right now. For now it's just the 650b front wheel but I will never go back to 26" unless the tires become so scarce I can't get them anymore.

mtbr member
    cool i'm torn. if only i could ride before i buy. competitive cyclist doesnt have a demo or a built bike for me to even try. no shop in little rock has a built 650b... sucks. more and more i am gravitating to the pivot mach 5...
    Sherwood had several El Bastardos that were at Interbike Dirt Demo - unless they were gobbled up by buyers at the show, perhaps you can call Ventana and see if you can get one sent to you via your LBS. I think they used to do that and if you liked the bike, the cost of getting the demo too you was factored into the final price of the bike/frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry for the late reply I have been in Baja for a couple weeks...

I am on one extensively since June/July with 2-3 rides a week, it is my go to #1 bike, literally hundreds of miles... my experience is has been just awesome...

If you search under my name and "bastardo" I have a long, rambling writeup somewhere. It is pretty accurate though I wrote it only a couple weeks into owning the bike intending to post more on it later. It is a good all around really neutral feeling bike frame. Really good climber and all around XC bike but with the power top be AM. The tire size itself feels really powerful, sort of like the benis of 29er without the mass (I ride all three regularly). The neomoto also just rules. To me it actually feels more like a 29er than a 26er other than it has that 26er-style cadence that I really like. It was a big expensive experiment for me but I am 180% happy with the results. I personally will never go back to 26er again except for a townie or cruiser. I hope it helps...

mtbr member
    I didn't get "extensive" time on the EB, but I was pretty impressed when I rode the El Bastardo at I-bike.... and now that I know that several 26er forks are also compatible with the 650b wheel I'd be even more likely to go that way. Not that I had any major qualms with the WB 130 that was on it. It's just nice to know there are more options from the big brands that will work.

The idea of the EB with a Pike, Float 140 QR15, or 36 TALAS sounds pretty kewl.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I keep getting tempted by a FS 650B (Bastardo specifically) but I'm also thinking I should wait till someone else jumps on board- Turner, Ibis, Intense. Hopefully, a tire company or two will make some TR or UST tires.

I just bought a 29er and really like it and would not mind converting my Mojo to 650B but rear tire clearance is an issue I don't want to mess with....at all. I guess I'll be "content" with the 26er and 29er till the next appealing 650B comes out. Sorry for not advancing the movement in its infancy but I'm all for jumping on the bandwagon once there are some choices.