mtbr member
    May 2011

Who makes really heavy duty 650 Rims, Thanks

I am currently running MTX 33's and want something similar in a 650 for the rear.

mtbr member
    Pacenti

BikeLugs.com

mtbr member
    Last edited by cryde; 09-01-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I Am like 300, carbon fiber? is placenti tough? boy the 650 stuff is high. Thanks for help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Stans Flow EX 650b

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    I Am like 300, carbon fiber? is placenti tough? boy the 650 stuff is high. Thanks for help.
    These are pretty cheap at $300. I just bought some 26" DH carbon fiber ones from Light-Bicycle for about $200 a piece, but Derby Rims seems to be of a way better design and quality. Worth the extra money IMO. Plus you're supporting one of our local guy and MTBR member. And they are freaking light at 440g. Can't do that with an alloy rim over 25mm wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think you will find anything as strong as the MTXs. As for strong normal non-carbon break the bank variety rims, I think its either the Stan Flows EXs already mentioned or Velocity P35s (now called Blunt 35 apparently).

mtbr member
    If you get a DL31 36 spoke set up, I'm pretty sure it should be able to handle you doing just about anything but riding it down the mountain with no tires on it. I run the TL28 on my rigid 29er SS and beat that thing like useless mule. In 9 months I haven't had to so much as true a wheel. With my gear on, I weigh about 225.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't mind if it is a little heavy and do not want to break the bank. I jump a lot of curbs at high speed. I don't really mountain bike that much. I do like a high speed urban riding where I make my own trail and run over and jump stuff making my own path. I bend the MTX 33's on occasion and they are cheap to fix, only 60$ per rim for the rim only.

I actually run a 26er RH XXL with 29er MTX's and 40 CM tires and it works great for what I do but I want to start jumping more at high speed and I blow the tires out on the rear jumping and hitting curbs at high speeds.

I want the extra cushion a 27.5 tire will give me to do more off road stuff and probably less tire blow out . I bend the rear rims because the 40CM tire does not provide the cush I need when I hit a curb fast at speed.

The setup I have now is good but I think a good big strong tire in back would aid? I cannot run a full size 29 tire because it will not fit on my 26 frame RH. So I want to run a 27.5 in rear and also in front when I start play riding off road.

Thanks for helping me.

Huckin' trails

Well then carbon fiber rims are as strong as it gets. You can get them re-enforced too.

Otherwise I would suggest to run higher pressure so you don't blow off the rim again. For urban stuff you should really stick around 50psi, maybe 40 if you're lightweight.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run real high air pressure ,the problem is the tubes blow and I run HD tubes as well. What about tubeless would that help?

mtbr member
    It would eliminate the tube....it takes a much harder whallop to pinch flat the casing of a tire than it does a thin squishy rubber innertube. You also won't have to worry about puncture flats from thorns or nails because the liquid sealant heals em right up. But, you will still have to worry about denting the rims, which I do more often now thanks to the low pressures allowed by a good tubeless setup. In fact, I've dented the crap out of my FRONT Stan's Flow rim but in 2 solid years of abusive riding with 25psi in them I've never had ONE single pinch flatted tire, despite hitting them hard enough to fold the rim bead down. The rear, however, has been a different story, because I'm forced to run skinnier tires back there...I've pinched a bunch of those, but still far less trouble and better performance running tubeless.

The 650b rims aren't any higher than their 26 or 29" equivalents....you're just looking at more expensive rims now.

Pacenti and Blunts are both nice rims, but built to be wide AND light as possible at those widths....you'll still fold rim beads down if you wail on them. Go with the fattest tubeless ready tire you can find to minimize that.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you've got a 26" bike, just get a 26" inch wheel and a fat tire. Run the whole thing tubeless and keep the pressure up around 36-38 PSI some 2.4" or 2.5" tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Yeah, if you've got a 26" bike, just get a 26" inch wheel and a fat tire. Run the whole thing tubeless and keep the pressure up around 36-38 PSI some 2.4" or 2.5" tires.
    Yep, there you go. +1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey you all thanks for the help. On the road is a 29 or 27.5 much faster than a 26 rear?

I run real high speed road, like 20+ MPH all the time and just cut a path to make a short cut. That is how I like to ride.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    Hey you all thanks for the help. On the road is a 29 or 27.5 much faster than a 26 rear?

I run real high speed road, like 20+ MPH all the time and just cut a path to make a short cut. That is how I like to ride.
    Of course bigger wheel diameter on flat pavement will be faster. Better rolling resistance is the main advantage. Unless you put a fat MTB tire on though.

mtbr member
    The larger wheel/tire will only be faster for you if you're actually spinning out your fastest gear (literally, you can't peddle any faster because your feet are flying off the peddles) and then, honestly, based on the discussion that's been had, and my previous advice, I'd say change your gearing, and stick to what I told you for tires and wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    The larger wheel/tire will only be faster for you if you're actually spinning out your fastest gear (literally, you can't peddle any faster because your feet are flying off the peddles) and then, honestly, based on the discussion that's been had, and my previous advice, I'd say change your gearing, and stick to what I told you for tires and wheels.
    Put a bigger front ring gear? I run my bike 90% of the time in top gear with the 29 wheels now. So then it will be a 69er with a small front tire.