mtbr member
    May 2011

who has gone from a converted 26 to 27.5 bike and replaced it with a dedicated 27.5?

what bike did you convert to 27.5" and what 27.5" bike did you eventually buy?
    did you stick with same brand?
    was there a big change and was it worth it?

i'm running a converted specialized carbon epic for over a year so i can't go with the same brand. i might even consider going from xc bike to an all mountain bike too. my other choice is to just upgrade my bike to XX1 or X01
    '10 specialized epic comp carbon - 650b

mtbr member
    I have not but curious on this topic. Right before 650b came into mainstream I built my 26r FS TranceX (sweet). I'm cheap and it was probably 1/2 the cost of a 29 build, and since I don't race and like tight technical terrain, it was an educated choice. For me just the change from a vintage 26 to the trancex with fat tubeless and 5" travel was a huge improvement, but realize 650 would be sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Planning to buy a Santa Cruz 5010 in the new year. Going from a Pivot Mach 5. Would really like to stay with Pivot but they don't do a bike that I want. Was going to buy a Pivot 5.7 C but really wanted something between that and a Mach 4. The Santa Cruz seems the closest to what I want and can be built either All Mountain or XC/Trail which is the way I will go.

Pivot will most likely build what I want late next year but unless I hear something by February I will be ordering the Santa Cruz. From what I hear I will be happy with it anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a converted SC Blur XCc and in the process of building up a Solo(5010). Although both bikes are quite similar, I cannot see the 5010 as a replacement for the Blur. The Blur will still be my xc race bike, a role which I feel is excellent for that bike. The 5010 will be more of my everyday trail bike.

mtbr member

who has gone from a converted 26 to 27.5 bike and replaced it with a dedicate...

Had a 650b TRc for a 1 1/2 yrs and a few thousand miles. Will be building up a Solo with a all the same parts with the exception of a true 27.5 fork. I'll let you know how it goes. Only report I've read on here said they felt quite different which surprised me as the only diff. is a slightly longer chain stay and slightly lower BB.

As a side note, I borrowed two of my buddies RIP Nines and can say for sure that they were no where near as fun to ride. Much harder do manual. Much less nimble. Good to know that I'm not missing anything for how I like to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just sold my Santa Cruz Blur LT conversion and bought a "new" (lightly used) Bronson. I should get it this week, but due to snow and cold here in Colorado it might be a couple of weeks before I can ride it and report back. One of the reasons I switched was a good deal selling my Blur and buying the Bronson... but in reality I just wanted a new bike to try something different. I don't expect a noticeable performance change, but I think the relatively lower BB and the Fox 34 up front will help as well as SC's newly refined VPP design on the Bronsons. I'll post back when I ride the Bronson a few times.

mtbr member

who has gone from a converted 26 to 27.5 bike and replaced it with a dedicate...

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I just sold my Santa Cruz Blur LT conversion and bought a "new" (lightly used) Bronson. I should get it this week, but due to snow and cold here in Colorado it might be a couple of weeks before I can ride it and report back. One of the reasons I switched was a good deal selling my Blur and buying the Bronson... but in reality I just wanted a new bike to try something different. I don't expect a noticeable performance change, but I think the relatively lower BB and the Fox 34 up front will help as well as SC's newly refined VPP design on the Bronsons. I'll post back when I ride the Bronson a few times.
    One of my friends recently made the same change. He said there is a pretty big performance boost. The Bronson pedals much better, carves sharper and is more playful in the air. He hit a decent size drop that he had ridden around several times before and now felt confident doing. I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. Hopefully I'll be riding next week and can report back soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I went to a Pivot demo yesterday and wanted to ride the Mach 6 carbon but they were out. I did ride the Pivot Les, 429 and Firebird but can't see any of those replacing my epic.

Thanks everyone else for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
    Planning to buy a Santa Cruz 5010 in the new year. Going from a Pivot Mach 5. Would really like to stay with Pivot but they don't do a bike that I want. Was going to buy a Pivot 5.7 C but really wanted something between that and a Mach 4. The Santa Cruz seems the closest to what I want and can be built either All Mountain or XC/Trail which is the way I will go.

Pivot will most likely build what I want late next year but unless I hear something by February I will be ordering the Santa Cruz. From what I hear I will be happy with it anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    One of my friends recently made the same change. He said there is a pretty big performance boost. The Bronson pedals much better, carves sharper and is more playful in the air. He hit a decent size drop that he had ridden around several times before and now felt confident doing. I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.
    This is interesting. I have a Blur LTC set up 27.5 in the front and demoed a Bronson, and it was fun, but felt a little bigger/longer/less nimble than my Blur. Also didn't climb as well as I expected. I think I may have just had a bad day and that I the suspension wasn't set up right for me. I might have to demo the Bronson again.

mtbr member
    I built a Nickel 650b last year, no 650b specific parts but the wheels and tires, and it was great fun. Liked to hop around and wheelie, etc.
    This year I bought/built up a new Anthem 27.5 and the most noticeable thing to me was speed in cornering and efficiency in pedaling. Neither one of those may be due to the fact I converted a 26" bike to 27.5 but the bottom bracket was pretty high after conversion and there was a little more suspension movement as well.
    The shorter travel frame geometry specific for the 27.5 rolling gear makes it handle carve corners faster than the converted bike. It feels allot faster.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Was thinking of doing a Pivot 5.7 (Al) conversion. Saw the youtube of the Carbon version conversion. Anyone know the max rear tire width is on the 5.7 for 650b? Anyone have the conversion? If so, any dislikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    As a side note, I borrowed two of my buddies RIP Nines and can say for sure that they were no where near as fun to ride. Much harder do manual. Much less nimble. Good to know that I'm not missing anything for how I like to ride.
    I had the same experience with a 4 day demo of a Ripley....it was awesome in all the same ways my 27.5 dw conversion bike is (carbon damping, great pedaling, light weight, etc.), but it laid to rest any doubts I had about going deeper into 27.5 world vs making a costly switch to 29"... the mid-size wheels and accompanying from geometry are just right for me.

Sorry, to the OP, that I can't add anything...I'm hoping to make the switch to a dedicated bike in 2014.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Went from Carbine,rear like a wet noodle broke upper shock linkage because of the severe flex and am now on a Mach 6,to call it just stiff is an understatement,and yes it is something you can feel under very aggressive riding.for a rider with great skills who likes to ride hard and fast this frame allows you to get the job done with the right tool for the job and make you look good doing it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    that's too bad about the carbine. i really wish i had the chance to ride the Mach 6 carbon. i'm thinking i don't need that much travel but everyone seems to love it.

74 & 29 pilot
    I ran a 650b flow on the front of my Pivot Firebird for about 9 months and was unsure of the fit in the back. So in Sep '12 I bought a Carbine 26" along with 27.5 rear drop outs and ran it 26 while for two weeks while I built a set of LB carbon rims on DT 350 hubs. Then I ran the carbine as a 27.5 bike and having proven the fit on the rear of the FB, which Derby told me it was good, I bought a rear 650b flow for it. There was a pretty noticeable change in the Carbine and it was great. The FB was an outstanding bike and the larger wheels just made it faster in the chunk on climbs and descents. I sold the FB as a 26", only because I couldn't get it under 29-30lbs with the lightest yet trail worthy components. I kept riding the Carbine until I dislocated my shoulder in April. After seven months off, I'm now on my first 29er, a Pivot 429c, and love it! I think 27.5 is a great wheel size, but for the type of riding I want do these days and the terrain I ride, I don't see myself going back down anytime soon.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What else has shown to be true to the benefits of 27.5 is my Strava times.I bought my previous Carbine as 26 and converted,I improved all my Strava times right off the start,and not just on descents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This was the start of a great thread. Would love to hear more first person reports.

mtbr member
    I had planed on replacing my Santa Cruz 650b TRc (over a year in this setup) with a Solo few months back, until I actually rode it. M and L on 2 different occasions, full day demos.
    To me, the TRc conversion feels a bit more playful, while loosing some in the stability department to the Solo. My main concern is the limited rear tyre clearance with the converted TRc, not a mud setup for sure.
    Otherwise I like the elevated BB at 13.4".

I have recently put my 26" wheels back on the bike, practicing with flats proper technique, jumps and wheelie. Much easier on smaller wheels...
    Everything under 2h, 26" for fun. Anything longer, 27.5 preserves the energy and is easier on technical climbs. 26" tends to hang on rocks noticeably more.
    It's almost like having 2 bikes .
    I still prefer 650b for longer trail rides, and if I have to pick just one size it would be 650.

I am now thinking to keep the TRc indefinitely and get a longer 6" 650b dedicated bike.
    Really like the Mach 6 after a demo...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I went from a Specialized Epic 29'er to a Giant Anthe Advance 27.5 last year. The change was very pronounced, I dropped almost 5 minutes off of my fastest lap times with nothing other than the change.
    2013 Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1

2014 Giant Propel Advance w/ Ultegra