Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

who has converted a Blur XC?

I am considering converting my XC. What needs to be changed other than getting new wheels and rotors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    I am considering converting my XC. What needs to be changed other than getting new wheels and rotors?
    I am assuming you mean the Carbon XC...the Aluminum XC is not even close to fitting. It does work well with a 650b up front.

Try using the search function...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I am assuming you mean the Carbon XC...the Aluminum XC is not even close to fitting. It does work well with a 650b up front.

Try using the search function...
    Real helpful, thanks roadie. Have you converted a blur XCc to 650b? I did search and got loads of junk. I am hoping someone who has done it would kindly reply as to what they did.
    Last edited by jimmy; 01-11-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: edit

mtbr member
    Real helpful, thanks roadie. Have you converted a blur XCc to 650b? I did search and got loads of junk. I am hoping someone who has done it would kindly reply as to what they did.
    Try searching this forum w/ "XCc".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's a bunch in search, Here's one

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/201...on-825045.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thx

Steele, thanks, that thread seems to focus on "shims". I did pm the poster, maybe he can tell me what he did. I don't see how to seach an individual forum, sorry guys.

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/201...al-823887.html
    I was in the same boat as you..hard to search the forums or just too stupid to figure it out. Anyway, many have converted the Blur XCcarbon. It is awesome with plenty of tire clearence all around using a Fox fork. Mine is a 2013. Love the rear thru axle. I couldn't be happier. All you need is 650B wheels, 650B tires, Fox 100mm fork (unless you want more travel), and maybe shim the shock depending upon the frame (some say they don't need a shim, I did).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I converted my 2012 Carbon Blur xc. Im using a 120mm Fox Float, 26er fork, American Classic 650bxc wheels with 2.2 Racing Ralphs. I did not have to shim my rear shock and it has never rubbed. I will post pics later.
    I just love my bike, the handling, the weight, etc.

NedwannaB

Not mine

But I wish. If I could only gety my hands on a white blk/gold accent frame I'd be loving it.

Hurricane Jeff may chime in on his bike here. He has 2.25 RR's on it now with no shiming required.

650B Picture Thread - Page 16 - Mtbr Forums
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

NedwannaB

Too late

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I converted my 2012 Carbon Blur xc. Im using a 120mm Fox Float, 26er fork, American Classic 650bxc wheels with 2.2 Racing Ralphs. I did not have to shim my rear shock and it has never rubbed. I will post pics later.
    I just love my bike, the handling, the weight, etc.
    Already got yours covered!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Blur XCc conversion

In hindsight, conversion was pretty simple. Bought a set of 650b Stans Crest wheels and some Pacenti Quasi Moto 2.0 tires. No clearance issues whatsoever on the front with the Fox forks, but did end up using nylon washers (about 3-4mm) to shim the rear shock. Otherwise, the tire would just barely touch the front deraileur cable stop at full compression. Not worth the risk, in my opinion. Shimming was very easy and worked perfectly (with very minimal loss of travel). No other changes really required and below is the result...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails who has converted a Blur XC?-img_0657.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a fox 100 and an XCc frame, not the newest version, the first carbon frame I think. Now for the shimming...what do people mean by shimming the rear shock? I am not a mechanic not an engineer so I don't really understand how that works. At full travel what happens? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

shimming

Without shimming (reducing travel slightly), the rear tire would come into contact with the front derailleur cable and/or the cable stop at full compression of the rear shock (bottom-out). This is not something I want to happen while riding, as it would likely damage the tire and possibly a rather expensive carbon frame.

I don't want to tell you to search here again, but there is a thread in 650b forum where I learned all that was necessary to shim the rear shock. Hardest part was finding the nylon washers, but eventually found some at Lowe's which had 3/8" inner diameter and fit perfect. Installing just involved releasing all air from rear shock (very important), then unscrewing the air canister while still attached to the frame. Once open, just pried the o-ring and silver washer down and put the washers above that. It is very easy, but hard to describe in words. The other thread had pictures which help alot. Best of luck in your conversion and I have no regrets!

Wrench

It's fantastic.

2010 frame, size LG, full XT kit. Weighs in at 23.5 pounds.

This bike reads my mind.

mtbr member

Searching threads

If you go back into the top of the list of threads it this forum, the search is on the right side of the lower blue bar.
    It helps to be as narrow and presice as possible. For example "XCc" works, but "blur XCc" will pick-up a lot of extra stuff, any and all mentions of blur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeithASR View Post
    Without shimming (reducing travel slightly), the rear tire would come into contact with the front derailleur cable and/or the cable stop at full compression of the rear shock (bottom-out). This is not something I want to happen while riding, as it would likely damage the tire and possibly a rather expensive carbon frame.

I don't want to tell you to search here again, but there is a thread in 650b forum where I learned all that was necessary to shim the rear shock. Hardest part was finding the nylon washers, but eventually found some at Lowe's which had 3/8" inner diameter and fit perfect. Installing just involved releasing all air from rear shock (very important), then unscrewing the air canister while still attached to the frame. Once open, just pried the o-ring and silver washer down and put the washers above that. It is very easy, but hard to describe in words. The other thread had pictures which help alot. Best of luck in your conversion and I have no regrets!
    There is no way I could do that myself although I understand the concept of reducing the travel. Ha Ha someone needs to sell a "shim kit" for the XCc/650b.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    If you go back into the top of the list of threads it this forum, the search is on the right side of the lower blue bar.
    It helps to be as narrow and presice as possible. For example "XCc" works, but "blur XCc" will pick-up a lot of extra stuff, any and all mentions of blur.
    Roadie that is helpful. Not he best search function I would say, but your advice has helped.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There is no way I could do that myself although I understand the concept of reducing the travel. Ha Ha someone needs to sell a "shim kit" for the XCc/650b.
    Honestly, shimming a shock is as easy as changing a tyre.....don't need no kit or mechanic.

Here's a pic of where to place this washer/shims....

Just let the air out of the shock first, unscrew the air can, pull back air can a little, slit washers and slide over shock shaft, screw air can back on, air up shock, install and test ride.....

Shock performance won't change.

Too easy!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357993071.395548.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  42.5 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mine is a '12 Blur XCc, size large. Shimmed it about 4mm to clear a Neo Moto 2.1 on a Pacenti TL28 rim at full compression. Finding the nylon shims and cutting them was the most difficult part, don't even try using neoprene shims. Go nylon. Insertion into rear shock takes about 1 minute. Fork is a 2012 Fox Float 120 RLC. Maybe my favorite short-travel FS bike ever owned (and I'm not even a VPP fanatic). Bike is quick, fast and stable in any gear combo and terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wow, thanks

Nylon shim, what is the size?

Thanks for all the advice everybody. This may be my winter project. Ha ha, just have to get some wheels & rotors to start.

Recommendations on lightish XC wheels?

NedwannaB

Can't beat Stans Crest/Arch

Nylon shim, what is the size?

Thanks for all the advice everybody. This may be my winter project. Ha ha, just have to get some wheels & rotors to start.

Recommendations on lightish XC wheels?
    Or Pacenti's line. Priciey tho. Universal Cycles has some items to choose from and can build up a light wheel for somewhat less the Notubes. You can check Outside Outfitters for Alex XD Lite 650 rims and a parts assortment of tires and hubs. I don't think they build them though.

You keep mentioning "rotors", are you converting over to disc, or just need some new ones? The 650B wheels don't have anything to do with needing to chang rotor size if that's what you're worried about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rotors

understood, just that I'd have to swap out my rotors from my 26" wheels or get new ones.

NedwannaB

Oh got it

understood, just that I'd have to swap out my rotors from my 26" wheels or get new ones.
    Keep wheelset complete. They're not that expensive and worth not hassling with the change out everytime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fox 100m Fork

No problems with the fork? It will fit in a 100 mm Fox?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast