Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

When will Specialized crack?

Apparently, Specialized have put in a massive order for 27.5 forks for 2015. Also rumors have that Aaron Gwin was on 27.5 for the worlds. Some serious back pedaling from Spec when they release the tweener.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Meh... Specialized was also late to the 29er game after implying that they wouldn't make one. I doubt anyone at Spec cares if we think they are back pedaling as long as they continue to sell bikes.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Whatever Gwin was on for Worlds, he sucked.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Spec has been testing 27.5 wheels for a while now, people have seen them at some of their favored test trails in California.
    I think next year they'll have long travel 27.5 bikes, I'd bet on stumpy fsr's and them finally dropping 26" from that line and possibly an enduro model, doubt you'll see them do it anywhere else.
    If they really wanted to get into the market with a splash they could come out with a 100-110mm xc trail/race full squish bike that's under $3k and under 25#, those would sell like hotcakes.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    come out with a 100-110mm xc trail/race full squish bike that's under $3k and under 25#, those would sell like hotcakes.
    I'd buy one. In all honesty, the first builder to nail this gets my bread, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I don't think anyone can build a rig that light for that price.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    scott spark 740 will come in just over $3k and about 27lbs FWIW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Whatever Gwin was on for Worlds, he sucked.
    It is amazing how he has fallen off this year, after dominating on the Trek...maybe it is about the bike.

Or it's karma for how he parted ways with Trek...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think Specialized is happy to let the other manufacturers take the risk and do the heavy lifting to build a market for 27.5. You can bet that if 27.5 proves to be a big success, Specialized will introduce bikes quickly. This is the same way they handled 29ers. The smaller innovative companies have a good opportunity in the meantime.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by WillTheGreat View Post
    I think Specialized is happy to let the other manufacturers take the risk and do the heavy lifting to build a market for 27.5. You can bet that if 27.5 proves to be a big success, Specialized will introduce bikes quickly. This is the same way they handled 29ers. The smaller innovative companies have a good opportunity in the meantime.
    ^^^ This.

Re Gwin: Yeah, he really is off his game. I can't believe he left the Trek gig... Seems like he had a good thing going, why mess with a winning thing /team / bike????
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Gwin said he had a better deal with Spec'd. I think that was pretty simple. He said it in an interview a few times.

If you want to hear about 275, go watch the RedBullTV World Cup coverage. 2h44m of 275 coverage. They talked about it a few dozen times at least. They SAID that Gwin was on 275 but that don't make it so, as we know.

As soon as 275 bikes reach real numbers, Spec'd will be there. They said they built mules to test out the size. I would bet Camber (or new Camber-ish model) as well as Demo, hardtail, Stump and Enduro. Could very well be introduced through EVO models of each as well. That would be a quick/easy toe in the water.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post

If you want to hear about 275, go watch the RedBullTV World Cup coverage. 2h44m of 275 coverage. They talked about it a few dozen times at least. They SAID that Gwin was on 275 but that don't make it so, as we know.

For sure Logan Binggeli did on a KHS.

But Minnaar rode a V10c 26" for the win. He rides a Bronson in Enduro. If SC had a 27.5" DH bike, would he have raced that? And would he have still won?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    It is amazing how he has fallen off this year, after dominating on the Trek...maybe it is about the bike.

Or it's karma for how he parted ways with Trek...
    There was a very telling video on Dirt where Gwin admitted that between signing for Spesh and Fort William he had been at home in Cali, hadn't tested the bike at any world level tracks and had basically done his own thing for training. Spesh/Gwin really dropped the ball there, Minnar/Syndicate and Atherton/One Ind are always completely committed off season, nobody gets past them without doing the same.

Payback for arrogance? Failing to appreciate what Captain Whiteley really did for him? Maybe. It's certainly been a humiliating year for Specialized Racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    I can't believe he left the Trek gig... Seems like he had a good thing going, why mess with a winning thing /team / bike????
    Because Spesh are paying him more to finish nowhere than Trek were paying him to win.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    When will I care about anything Special ed does?

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    When will I care about anything Special ed does?
    When they produce a bike that fits you better than any other on the market? I don't own ANY Spesh stuff now, get rubbed the wrong way by their attitude, but will NOT rule out getting a Spesh Epic, SJ, Camber or Enduro in 650b when (not if) they come out.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you've never ridden a Stump or Enduro. You have to admit that they are two of the most capable platforms on the planet and have been for about a decade now. And they didn't suck before that.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Sram guys can run any bike they want, they're on Enduro 29".

I don't think Specialized are in any rush to produce 650b bikes when they have an almost unique 29" product.

mtbr member
    Yeah, and the SRAM guys don't get deals from Spec'd so they have to buy them either at wholesale or find a nice local shop for EP.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    This is a great question. I can only speculate, but I think within three years. Of all the surveys I have seen, very few people are actively seeking 26ers. If they are not in the market for a 29er, the 650b is the next choice.
    I think it's kind of the same thing as how the big U.S. automakers took longer to get on board with electric/hybrid technology. They waited for Toyota and Honda to generate buzz then they jumped in the market.
    I am only speculating, however. I am just a normal dude who follows industry trends and such.

mtbr member
    I thinkin less than 5 years the 26 in wheel will be dead. its going to be 27.5 and 29 only
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Sounds like you've never ridden a Stump or Enduro. You have to admit that they are two of the most capable platforms on the planet and have been for about a decade now. And they didn't suck before that.

mk
    Why do you have to admit that? Every rider is different, it's great if you like the FSR suspension, but blank statements like that are useless. Had one, wasn't great to me, like VPP better. Would love to demo a DW link bike, might be even better than VPP for me.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

I'd love to demo a Yeti SB-95. I hear the switchback setup works really really well
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    I'd say you have to admit it like you have to admit that the IH Sunday is one of the best dh bikes ever made. Ubiquity, popularity, performance (under some), durability, etc.

It's not a measure of if YOU like it, but rather, that you understand that it's a great product.

I may not listen to gospel music, and I may even say 'I hate it' but I would clearly admit that the music itself has value and is 'good'.

Similarly, the FSR system has been adapted from 4" up to 9" travel applications, with 20+ years of effective design and implementation. That is a fact and you have to be able to at least appreciate the uniqueness of that reality in the bike industry and give a company credit for being able to do that.

That's all I meant. I'm kinda the opposite of you. I don't like the harshness of VPP and DW but I realize that it is an effective system with many supporters and effective implementation across many, many platforms.

Make sense?

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't really give a crap when Specialized comes out with 27.5, alot of other manufacturers are realizing the benefits of the wheel size, big S already said that they found " no benefit" of the wheel size, but money talks, they'll have them mid 2014 is my guess.

I'll go further on your thinking, I believe in less than 5 years, 27.5 will be the DOMINANT wheel size.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    I thinkin less than 5 years the 26 in wheel will be dead. its going to be 27.5 and 29 only
    Don't post that idea in the AM forum. They will "respectfully" disagree.

Also, if not for everyday trail riding, 26" will always be the go-to size for DJ, stunt, park, and other applications where any extra weight or handling compromise is a deal killer.

So, even if most new offerings in the foreseeable future are not 26", there will always be a market for them. Example, they still sell 8 speed parts in a world where 9, 10 and now 11 speed predominate. It to mention v-brakes and rim brake rims where disc brakes rule the roost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast