mtbr member
    Aug 2008

what's the deal w/ Carver Bikes?

So I've been looking at frames, 650b specific, and I have stumbled on to Carver Bikes and can't understand how they are so cheap. They offer Ti frames for almost half of what most other companies sell them for. How is that possible? are they crap? are they made in china/taiwan? Anyone have any stories? I ask because there is only one review on them posted.

thanks to anyone with good info in advance.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    The Carver Ti bikes are made in China - but IMO they are of fine quality at their price point. Pluse you can work with Davis Carver - an awesome guy by the way - super nice and way into bikes - to customize as you see fit.

I rode their Bumblebee 650b in back/29er in front on a long term test for www.ridemonkey.com last year and it did not disappoint at all. Really nice riding bike.

So it can't hurt to give him a call and talk with him a bit.

Hope this helps.

Mark

mtbr member
    Arn't they "made in China" only b/c that's where Davis resides? I thought I read somewhere that he still does all the welding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

From his website

"All Carver frames are hand made by industry veteran, Dave. Attention to detail in design, materials, and craftsmanship are what separate the Carver from the rest of the pack. Hand welding frames one at a time is the only way to achieve the consitancy and quality that Carver Bikes demands"

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Not sure who Dave is, but Davis Carver does not make the frames.
    They are made in China, and they are made very well. No up charge for custom and the turn around time is usually pretty fast for custom.
    Davis is a good guy to work with.
    I've had 2 Carvers and the quality was equal or better than some smaller custom US built frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Not sure who Dave is, but Davis Carver does not make the frames.
    They are made in China, and they are made very well. No up charge for custom and the turn around time is usually pretty fast for custom.
    Davis is a good guy to work with.
    I've had 2 Carvers and the quality was equal or better than some smaller custom US built frames.

http://www.carverbikes.com/index.php...id=21&Itemid=6

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yikes. i dunno if i cant support bikes made in china considering that is the country that ours is in debt to. i'd rather keep my money circulating in the usa if i can help. thanks for the info guys.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Dave is an American living and welding in China for Davis. He does the AL frames though.

I believe XCAD does their Ti stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    yikes. i dunno if i cant support bikes made in china considering that is the country that ours is in debt to. i'd rather keep my money circulating in the usa if i can help. thanks for the info guys.

Good then you should probably stop buying at least 1/2 of the stuff in your house including your clothing, furniture, BBQ grill, etc... Unfortunately just the nature of the beast today. I've seen carvers, they are very nice.... Handmade in the US is nice but not something overly important. That said I'm looking at my rides and at least the frames are all US except an early 80s Univega, made in Japan I swear it's a co-incidence!

mtbr member
    I've got a Spicer/XACD built ti fork on my Ti Dean cross bike. It seems their quality can be hit or miss. The welds on it appear solid (no discoloration) but aesthetically are all over the place. The fork has held up to very well to fire road/single track riding as well as nasty roads during winter weather. I've run it with disc brakes with good results to date (a bit more flexy than a carbon fork but uber comfy). Never seen a Ti carver in person but I have seen a few XACD built habeneros, I'd imagine the aesthetics/quality is only going to be as good as Carver's quality control.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    Good then you should probably stop buying at least 1/2 of the stuff in your house including your clothing, furniture, BBQ grill, etc... Unfortunately just the nature of the beast today. I've seen carvers, they are very nice.... Handmade in the US is nice but not something overly important. That said I'm looking at my rides and at least the frames are all US except an early 80s Univega, made in Japan I swear it's a co-incidence!
    sorry to get you all riled up. i realize it is near impossible to live life buying only american goods and that is why i clearly stated that " i try to keep my money circulating in the usa IF I CAN HELP IT"

and as far as it "not being something overly important" well that is %100 relative to the consumer. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy chinese, or that chinese made products are always inferior, simply that i prefer to keep my money in this country in this current crisis.

as for the fact the the welder is american by birth and currently living in and running a business in china: that IMO is no justification. money leaves the usa and enters another country and will be circulated there because if you live in china you wont be going to KIng Soopers for your groceries nor will you spend it towards buying a home in the usa. but you will pay taxes to the chinese gov't and not the us gov't.

I dont mean to sound all preachy and am not here to impose my philosophy on anyone else, I just wanted some facts before making a purchase, and to those who provided them i am thankful.
    no chain no gain.