mtbr member
    Feb 2008

What's the best 2.1 or below all round tire for rear applications?

OK...I just wanted to start this thread because previously a few guys went in this direction kinda...
    and the other thread we talked on was not really heading this way.
    ...so what are some good tires in this size(s) for rear use?
    I'm sure this was covered before though...LOL...so (maybe...)...here we go again.
    Personally I'd like to use a larger tire, but my frame choice can't handle larger tires.I'm a Clyde, so I'll need
    a pretty durable tire.
    Any thoughts?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Uncle
    Pacenti's Neo-Moto in the 2.1" size - fairly small and good all rounder. Rolls well, good grip, etc. Looks like there's some newer stuff in the pipes, but I can't think of a reason to suggest anything else.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2nd for the neo-moto.

Dissolved member
    NeoMoto 2.1, I was happy with Nevegal 2.1, too. For more XC oriented applications, I suspect the Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 might work pretty well also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Crossmark
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm waiting...
    Maybe next month?
    650B Palace: Big Tire News Bulletin
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Personally I'd like to use a larger tire, but my frame choice can't handle larger tires.I'm a Clyde, so I'll need
    a pretty durable tire.
    Any thoughts?
    What frame is it you're trying to convert? And what rim? That might open up alot of recomendations for fit. What tires do you normally like to run given your terrain and which 650b's, if any, have you tried?

Having experience with several models of the tires out for fit on fs conversions (excluding Swabs as I know they run bit bigger, or the new ones the big manf are starting to offer) most recently picking up a CrossMark. As for fit and fast(er) rolling wise they may be a good candidate, but not the durability you're looking for. I picked up a standard 60 tpi version but they do make an EXE (or similar acronym-120 thread count and abit lighter?) version. If clearance is factor, but need some more knobs given your trail conditions, you could try a 2.1 IRD FireXC PRO. They run a little smaller in overall diameter, a little wider overall in tread projection on the sides then compared to the 2.1 Nevegal. So depending whether your limitations are on the stay bridge or side stays might determine which tire as well.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well I already talked about the Reken...from what I'm reading I'm thinking a Nev or the Fire XC would prollly be my best choices.
    But the first thing I want to do is see what the offerings Vee Rubber look like when they arrive. I'm kinda glad about the added BB height 650 conversions present because of my disability(I lost my foot).I'm not completely sure yet,but I think I might have to use pedal extenders to give me some extra pedal width and help me keep my foot on the pedals.The extra width will mean more possibility of pedal strikes...so the extra BB height will be a good thing. I'm also gonna need super traction tires...all the help I can get to keep me upright.I say again...i'm not a tire expert,but with the limited space of the Reken frame,I'm thinking it's between Nevs and Fire XCs...tipped more so toward the Fire XC.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Well I already talked about the Reken...from what I'm reading I'm thinking a Nev or the Fire XC would prollly be my best choices.
    But the first thing I want to do is see what the offerings Vee Rubber look like when they arrive. I'm kinda glad about the added BB height 650 conversions present because of my disability(I lost my foot).I'm not completely sure yet,but I think I might have to use pedal extenders to give me some extra pedal width and help me keep my foot on the pedals.The extra width will mean more possibility of pedal strikes...so the extra BB height will be a good thing. I'm also gonna need super traction tires...all the help I can get to keep me upright.I say again...i'm not a tire expert,but with the limited space of the Reken frame,I'm thinking it's between Nevs and Fire XCs...tipped more so toward the Fire XC.
    Too many replies to keep track of I guess.....

I can tell you right now the Nev will fit the Reken. I am going to throw a couple different tires on mine this weekend. I will post results.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a coupla more 26er frames I wanna try as 650b too...I heard it works with Rekens.I have a coupla GT frames I wanna try too.
    First I gotta get a set of wheels built.i'm hoping the Sun Inferno27 rims I got work OK tubeless...with the Trail Takers especially.
    The triple triangle of GT frames have a bit different seat stay setup that a regular double diamond frame...so time will tell I guess.
    Another possibility for me is a 2009 Mongoose Otero Elite frame I have. That one has the width to put in a Trail Taker. I gotta get going this week on the wheels.The Goose is a FS frame.Not the best, but what I got.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld