Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What would you change about this TRc build list?

-2013 32 FLOAT 140 CTD-ADJ FIT WHITE 15QR 1.5T FACTORY

-Shimano XT M785 Pre-Bled Disc Brakes Metal Pads
    -Shimano XT RT86 IceTech 160mm 6-bolt Rotor pair (or 180/160 haven't made final decision)
    -Answer ProTaper AM Handlebar Carbon 1" Rise 720mm 31.8mm Black/white
    -Salsa Flip-Lock Seat Clamp 35mm
    -Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack Headset
    -Jagwire Ripcord DIY Derailleur Kit
    -Ergon GS1 or GA1 Evo grips
    -Thomson 30.9 x 410mm elite Black Seatpost

-2013 Shimano XT 1x10 170mm Crank 11-36 Cassette
    -Shimano HG94 10 speed MTB Chain
    -Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple 170mm no rings -Crankset with Bottom Bracket
    -Shimano XT M771 11-36 10 speed Cassette
    -Shimano XT M780 10 speed Shifter Rear
    -Shimano XT M786 Direct Mount Shadow Plus GS Mid-Cage Rear Derailleur Silver
    -Surly Stainless Steel Ring 34t x 104mm
    -MiniG2 SL Guide 32-36T BB Mount

-Rims- pacenti tl28 or flows 650b
    -Hope pro 2 Hubs 10mm rear
    -sapim triple or dr Swiss double butted spokes
    -pacenti neo motos
    -DT Swiss RWS Thru-Bolt 10x135mm Aluminum Lever

What should I change or have I missed? Goal is as light as possible while still being durable and within a reasonable budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    -2013 32 FLOAT 140 CTD-ADJ FIT WHITE 15QR 1.5T FACTORY

-Shimano XT M785 Pre-Bled Disc Brakes Metal Pads
    -Shimano XT RT86 IceTech 160mm 6-bolt Rotor pair (or 180/160 haven't made final decision)
    -Answer ProTaper AM Handlebar Carbon 1" Rise 720mm 31.8mm Black/white
    -Salsa Flip-Lock Seat Clamp 35mm
    -Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack Headset
    -Jagwire Ripcord DIY Derailleur Kit
    -Ergon GS1 or GA1 Evo grips
    -Thomson 30.9 x 410mm elite Black Seatpost

-2013 Shimano XT 1x10 170mm Crank 11-36 Cassette
    -Shimano HG94 10 speed MTB Chain
    -Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple 170mm no rings -Crankset with Bottom Bracket
    -Shimano XT M771 11-36 10 speed Cassette
    -Shimano XT M780 10 speed Shifter Rear
    -Shimano XT M786 Direct Mount Shadow Plus GS Mid-Cage Rear Derailleur Silver
    -Surly Stainless Steel Ring 34t x 104mm
    -MiniG2 SL Guide 32-36T BB Mount

-Hope pro 2 Hubs 10mm rear
    -sapim triple or dr Swiss double butted spokes
    -pacenti neo motos
    -DT Swiss RWS Thru-Bolt 10x135mm Aluminum Lever

What should I change or have I missed? Goal is as light as possible while still being durable and within a reasonable budget.

I would change most everything but the hubs and tires. Just my personal preferences.

The frame uses a ZS44 top, EC49 bottom headset. Not all Zero Stack.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would change most everything but the hubs and tires. Just my personal preferences.

The frame uses a ZS44 top, EC49 bottom headset. Not all Zero Stack.
    Good catch I'll make sure I update that.. And fair enough. I knew many would do things very differently thanks for the input.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I wouldn't do a one-ring setup myself, but I already have a 1x10 XT setup on my hardtail 29er and while I can grind out 30+ mile rides with lots of climbing my legs are literally shaking by the end. I am definitely putting a 2x10 setup on my LTc as soon as I can get all the bits to finally finish the build.

Is that FOX fork the 650b one or is that a 26" fork? I got the Revelation 650b fork for my LTc but I'm ok with raising the front up and raking it out just a little more. If I were worried about stack height I'd look at the xfusion forks that are designed to work with 26" and/or 650b.

Otherwise your build look very close to what I have planned. I think 720mm is probably just about right on the handlebar width, at least for me. The XT stuff is solid, I would go 180 on the front rotor.

Would be keen to know where you end up going for the wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    I wouldn't do a one-ring setup myself, but I already have a 1x10 XT setup on my hardtail 29er and while I can grind out 30+ mile rides with lots of climbing my legs are literally shaking by the end. I am definitely putting a 2x10 setup on my LTc as soon as I can get all the bits to finally finish the build.

Is that FOX fork the 650b one or is that a 26" fork? I got the Revelation 650b fork for my LTc but I'm ok with raising the front up and raking it out just a little more. If I were worried about stack height I'd look at the xfusion forks that are designed to work with 26" and/or 650b.

Otherwise your build look very close to what I have planned. I think 720mm is probably just about right on the handlebar width, at least for me. The XT stuff is solid, I would go 180 on the front rotor.

Would be keen to know where you end up going for the wheels.
    I live in South Florida so climbing isn't really a concern. I haven't left my center ring in awhile and I asked in the Fl forum and many are running 1x without any issues or complaints. I see your point though. If all else fails I can order the rings, FD, and shifter.

Fork is the 26". I don't really want to mess with the intended geo, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll look into the xfusion.

I'm researching the light bicycle carbon rims now as well. The wheels for this build kinda got me stumped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The new frames uses a 142mm TA in the back right? You'll need a 142x12mm rear hub

mtbr member
    It's a 2012 frame.. 135mm out back.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would go Hadley on the rear hub. Hope Evo front is fine

Save some money and use SLX components. SLX brakes still come with the finned pads but organic. More progressive and less potential noise. 160 rotor on the back should be fine. I prefer Sram shifting but that's just a personal thing.

I'd go with the Pacenti rims for FL and that bike.

DT also has a triple butted spoke if you feel the need. You know I'm a fan of the Sapim Force triple butted.

Might have a look at the new tires now available. Love the Neo's but you might find something even better for your conditions?

Looking pretty good so far. So much is personal and you need to tailor the setup for your riding conditions. That is something people sometimes overlook when doling out advice. What works for you in FL will probably be completely different from me in New England for instance.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

Save some money and use SLX components. SLX brakes still come with the finned pads but organic. More progressive and less potential noise. 160 rotor on the back should be fine. I prefer Sram shifting but that's just a personal thing.

DT also has a triple butted spoke if you feel the need. You know I'm a fan of the Sapim Force triple butted.

Might have a look at the new tires now available. Love the Neo's but you might find something even better for your conditions?

Looking pretty good so far. So much is personal and you need to tailor the setup for your riding conditions. That is something people sometimes overlook when doling out advice. What works for you in FL will probably be completely different from me in New England for instance.
    I have SLX brakes with finned organic pads and XT IceTech rotors on my SS. They can really scream when I brake hard but they work well. The lever bushings are a bit sloppy and make them feel cheap but don't affect performance. My Magura Martas are quiet in the same situations, a bit more power, and have a higher quality feel at the lever. Both are among the easiest brakes to bleed.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

I was going to go SLX, but I'm getting the XT for less than $50 more. So I think it's def worth the difference. Ill look into the Hadley for the rear. Looking into the nobby nics for tires too. If I go with the pacenti rims I will have to find a local tire builder, no luck finding one close on here. I know a local shop has one, but have no idea if they are any good.

I hear what your saying about location, but I haven't ridden on a ton of different bikes to be able to have super solid opinions on most things. I know I like the shimano shifting. I know I hate avid brakes. I'm aware this doesn't make me the most knowledgable person to do a build, but I was unimpressed with what the production models were coming with for the price. So that's why I'm asking y'all since I know many of you have a lot more experience than me. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice build. For 1x setups, I personally like X0 crank arms (175mm) with an MRP Bling Ring, but what you have is fine.

I would also install a dropper post and a smaller front chainring (30 or 32t), but I ride a lot of hilly, rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Nice build. For 1x setups, I personally like X0 crank arms (175mm) with an MRP Bling Ring, but what you have is fine.

I would also install a dropper post and a smaller front chainring (30 or 32t), but I ride a lot of hilly, rocky terrain.
    I really like the xo and bling ring setup, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost increase over the XT. I have heard they aren't that stiff and the BB that comes with the XO is crappy so I would need to replace that as well further adding to the cost increase. Love the look of the direct mount ring though.

I am back and forth about chain ring size. Somewhere between 32 and 35t. And I'm waiting on the dropper BC all the ones out now seem to have pretty significant reliability issues. I think thompson's will be out soon. We will see if they can come through w a reliable dropper.

usually cranky
    looks like a pretty sweet spec to me. the one thing i would change is use a race face ss ring, lighter and more bling imo, and use an e13 1x or similar, i dont think a full guide is needed on a trc. make sure to get a clutch derailuer too.

usually cranky
    and id totes m'gotes go fo some hr2s when they come out.

Dissolved member
    +1 to X0 / other SRAM spiderless crank and a bling ring, it works beautifully with the G2 SL Mini. Btw. do you really need the G2 w/skid plate? Something like the Lopes guide might be good enough if you do not plan to hop on rocks and logs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    +1 to X0 / other SRAM spiderless crank and a bling ring, it works beautifully with the G2 SL Mini. Btw. do you really need the G2 w/skid plate? Something like the Lopes guide might be good enough if you do not plan to hop on rocks and logs.
    You both may be right that the bash isn't really needed. I really don't want to deal with dropping the chain though so I know a guide is a must. I've been trying to research who has the clutch rd and just an upper guide, but haven't seen much.

Man you both have me questioning whether I should get a quote on the XO. I wish they sold just the naked cranks.. Have either of you ridden the XO and bling ring combo to be able to compare it to the XT 1x setup. Is there any functional difference?

mtbr member
    Arch EX 650b should be shipping in about 2 weeks. This seems like a good compromise for weight and durability. I love my flows on my NomadC, but I'm waiting for Arch EXs for my TRc 650b.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    Arch EX 650b should be shipping in about 2 weeks. This seems like a good compromise for weight and durability. I love my flows on my NomadC, but I'm waiting for Arch EXs for my TRc 650b.
    What tires and spokes are you going with? Yeah the arches seem to be a good in between..

Dissolved member
    You both may be right that the bash isn't really needed. I really don't want to deal with dropping the chain though so I know a guide is a must. I've been trying to research who has the clutch rd and just an upper guide, but haven't seen much.

Man you both have me questioning whether I should get a quote on the XO. I wish they sold just the naked cranks.. Have either of you ridden the XO and bling ring combo to be able to compare it to the XT 1x setup. Is there any functional difference?
    The Lopes guide will get you all the chain safety of the G2 with some weight savings. I can only comment on SLX 1x vs. SRAM X7/Bling ring. The Bling ring setup is a couple of grams lighter (BB weights included) even with the X7 cranks but the main advantage is IMHO the simplicity of the whole thing, easy to change gear ratios (28T-38T) w/o crank modification or expensive things like Widgit and more clearance for a guide - the chairing bolts and spider are no longer in the way. OTOH, I had to toy with the GXP spacers to get the ring where I wanted it. X0 would be nice but I got the X7 for like $100 so it was a no brainer for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The Lopes guide will get you all the chain safety of the G2 with some weight savings. I can only comment on SLX 1x vs. SRAM X7/Bling ring. The Bling ring setup is a couple of grams lighter (BB weights included) even with the X7 cranks but the main advantage is IMHO the simplicity of the whole thing, easy to change gear ratios (28T-38T) w/o crank modification or expensive things like Widgit and more clearance for a guide - the chairing bolts and spider are no longer in the way. OTOH, I had to toy with the GXP spacers to get the ring where I wanted it. X0 would be nice but I got the X7 for like $100 so it was a no brainer for me.

Did you use the x7 bb as well? Do you feel it is on par with the slx bb? How long did it take to adjust it to get a proper chain line? Thanks for all the input. This will be my first go at 1x so I'm attempting to get it right the first time if possible.

Lopes guide seems to be a good compromise. Less protection, but still an upper and lower guide. Good call. It was on the original list. Didn't realize how much lighter it was until you mentioned.

Dissolved member
    Did you use the x7 bb as well? Do you feel it is on par with the slx bb? How long did it take to adjust it to get a proper chain line? Thanks for all the input. This will be my first go at 1x so I'm attempting to get it right the first time if possible.

Lopes guide seems to be a good compromise. Less protection, but still an upper and lower guide. Good call. It was on the original list. Didn't realize how much lighter it was until you mentioned.
    Yes I use the X7 GXP BB. I does not have as nice finish as the Hollowtech BB but I like its design better, it is more elegant and you do not have to carefully preload the bearings with that funky tool. I only did about 100 miles on it so far so I cannot comment on its longevity but there is always the Hope and Chris King alternatives.

The biggest "catch" with the chain line adjustment is the realization that the non-drive side spacers modify the chainline. I had to sand a 2.5mm spacer down to about 1.5mm to get the ring where it needed to be. Not a biggie at all. I had it all done and adjusted under two hours.

mtbr member
    You'd be way ahead going with a Works Components -1.5 deg angleset instead of that overpriced CC-110 IMHO! There is very little difference between the 110 and their 40 series other than the bling colors. Not a fan of single rings for trail bikes either; gravity bikes is a different story. I think that's a mistake. Everything else looks okay. And 90% of riders on 650's won't need a chain retention device with the new rear ders.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Magura TS8 650B over the Fox 32.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    Magura TS8 650B over the Fox 32.
    Why do you feel the TS8 is a better choice?

mtbr member
    I just like the look of it myself, and the reviews have been very good compared to the Fox:

Magura TS8 R150 Fork - Tested - Pinkbike

You can set it up for 140 or 150 mm travel. I think it requires minimum 180mm rotor though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast