mtbr member
    Mar 2008

What will we see for DH in 2014?

Seeing the new RS Boxxer Lowers at the Worlds was promising and Fox 40 also has lowers for the bigger wheels, any news/thoughts on more DH frames for 2014 or will we need to wait until late 2014 releases/2015? Santa Cruz seems to release a new 650b frame every other week, maybe a 650b V10 (more likely V8.5?).

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I am getting a Makulu.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

~~~~~~~~
    My thoughts....
    Looking at 26" dh bikes it's already a tight fit for the rear wheel and long shocks/travel. Rear wheel/axle path, kinematics, etc are crucial on a dh race bike, if those can't be maintained or improved due to the larger wheel size, then you are talking about compromises that will need to be made that may distract from the ultimate goal. Especially the shorter chainstay trend. I'm not saying it can't or won't be done, carbon frames will likely take a big role to make it work.

I think Stevie Smith provided some good evidence in the crankworx air dh that the bigger wheels help to allow a rider to go faster in those infamous WBP braking bumps. I would love to have a chance to test this one out. I ride the park on my 26" dh bike and have not had the chance to experience them on my 275 bike.

It's starting to look like a 275/29 wheeled bike is truly faster, but in a dh race application there is a good possibility that although the bike is "faster" it may actually at the same time be more difficult to ride it fast.

All just my speculation and the things I'm paying attention to. Also, I'm short. As it is now 26" rear wheel contact with the seat is an issue with 8" of travel, and I hear this regarding medium size frames as well. I'm not very optimistic that the 27.5 8" travel dh bike is going to work for me on the truly rowdy trails for the way I ride.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out. That sure was an entertaining dh Worlds though!

U $ 4 O?
    Will we get ust rims and tires w/ our boxers and 40's ??
    ©

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    I am getting a Makulu.
    62.5 H/A with 650 wheels? Holy slacker action.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Looks like Intense is already in with the showing of its 951 27.5 DH rig at Eurobike. Looks like it uses the Dorado for now but RS and Fox seem to be on board with offering some 27.5 options. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.