mtbr member

New question here. what will 4K get me these days?

first new bike since '07...here is my wish list, attempting to stick around $4,000...

*650b specific 130-150mm carbon trail frame
    *prefer modern suspension like VPP or DW-link
    *XT, XO or XO1 component set (prefer Shimano XT brakes)
    *size L or XL, want to be in the 28lbs range stock

Back in '07, this was easily doable. It seems like bikes are ridiculously expensive now. Looking for some solid suggestions. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I don't think 4k is possible for that build, at least from the VPP and DW bikes I'm familiar with.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    With $4k in your pocket - I suggest you start riding some carbon 650b bikes. Ones that wowed me were:

- Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon R
    - Ibis Mojo HDR
    - Rocky Mountain 750 MSL
    - Scott Genius 710
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    If you build the bike looking for deals online you might be able to do it for close to $4k.
    We are coming into the time of year when everyone is closing out the 2013 stuff for next years inventory so you can save big money on the components.

-Stans flow ex 650b wheelset for about $550
    -XT brakes, bought online for about $115 each, rotors for another $50 each, ~$330 total
    -tires for about $100-120
    -crankset with BB, XT, $120-140
    -XT shifter and der ~$300-350
    -XT cassette and chain ~$130
    -X-fusion velvet, ~$450
    -cockpit items ~$350 for decent stuff

That's about $2,500 and you haven't bought a frame/shock yet, going to be tough, might consider aluminum frame in lieu of carbon. Bronson aluminum frameset is msrp'd at $1,950.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah frame price for Carbon is going to dent you for around 2600 on most of the bikes available. You would have to cheap out on parts somewhere to get in at 4K and that will probably cost you weight. 5K is probably a more realistic goal unless you spend lots of time finding stuff on clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    That's about $2,500 and you haven't bought a frame/shock yet, going to be tough, might consider aluminum frame in lieu of carbon. Bronson aluminum frameset is msrp'd at $1,950.
    I would prioritize a better fork and wheelset over a carbon frame for your budget. Like madsedan suggest, go aluminum. I am guessing $4200 with an Al frame and $4800 cf if you build it yourself and XT is your minimum build group. To get you started, Pricepoint has Stans wheelsets on sale for $470 shipped when you use the 15% off SUMSALE coupon.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    The Intense Carbin 275 Rally build at pricepoint is about as close as you will get to your $4k mark complete. The few parts that aren't to your spec could be swapped later, you might be able to remove what you don't like new when you get it and sell it to cover some cost of the upgrades.
    It comes out of the box with a nice fork, rear shock, some xt parts, an SLX crankset which it plenty good and light, etc.

The bike is $4,800 and if you call and do a little haggling you might be able to get the 15% off deal and get the price down to $4k and a few bucks.

Competetive sells the Mojo HDR in a "special blend" kit as well thats really affordable and you could do the same with that, selling off parts and upgrading as you ride.

mtbr member
    Try to find a deal on an Intense Carbine frame, not the 275 version, if you can get a 2012 or 2013 they are identical with the exception of the 275 drop outs on the rear, they are only like $250 new, can find them cheaper online. There have been people selling those new on fleabay from time to time for like $1,600.
    If you do a search you'll find that the carbine and carbine 275 are indeed identical except for the replaceable dropouts.

mtbr member
    Not much as much as you should be getting thatís for damn sure!

I was in the same boat as you until I got my Bronson. I was on a 07 bike for the past 6+ years, I rode the crap out of it. Cost me $1500 back in the day and I put about another $1500 into it. Now I bought a Bronson C R and can honestly say that the performance level of the stock builds (not the frame) is about the same.

Prices have sky rocketed, a good value buy is becoming harder and harder to find. Prices for 650b and carbon are pretty absurd. However with aluminum you can do it.

My wish list was the same as yours except I wanted a medium frame. Take it from me it canít be done, not at 4K. What I did is go for the carbon frame with cheap spec will be upgrading as soon as I can. I wanted a Sram/Rock Shox build and you just cant get that stock, so that made the choice easy for me.

I think 4,600ish if your lucky, but realistically thatís a 5K build. Unless you can get a smoking bro deal at your shop. Offer them cash see what happens, especially on the 2013 models. I was able to find smokin cash deals on an SPX Burner and SPX Tallboy LT C pretty much the same price point of the Bronson C R, but I chose to go with the upgrade the Bronson route.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Wont 4k get you a heckler? I'd think for that youd have a frame, fork and wheels. Then transfer parts over and then upgrade as money allows.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not DW or VPP but find yourself a leftover Jamis Dakar 650b Pro which is their top of the line model with great component specs. Should be easy to get it new for around or under 4K.

Here is a barely used 19" on Pink Bike from a 29'er rider who wanted to give 650b a shot.

2013 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro - Pinkbike

Other options like mentioned above are the Carbine(275) or perhaps lower you spec a bit and get a new Trek Remedy or Giant Trance and upgrade as needed or the lower end Norco Sight same thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Ibis Mojo HD special blend is the closest thing out there to what you are looking for.

Great bike too. I think it costs $ 3800.
    You will have to add the 650B wheels, the component spec will be much lower than what you want. But understand that a carbon frame runs $2500-3000, Xo-1 is $1500, and you still need wheels, fork, cockpit, etc...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you get a 20% discount from your LBS (I would expect to get this, especially if I was preordering), then you can get a 650b Trek Remedy 9 for about $3800. It's not carbon, but you get a Fox Factory series fork, full XT, a great wheelset, etc.

Alternatively you could get the lowest spec Remedy carbon for about the same price, but I'm not entirely sure how much this model will cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    4s can be done but not a lot of choices.

For $4500 I'd buy:

1) Forthcoming Devinci Troy frame - lifetime warranty, carbon, includes a CC 40 HS, 2013 frame MSRP is $2100 which is $600 - 900 cheaper than everyone else's. Both Atlas and Dixon's are fun bikes so I expect the Troy to be good. It's a DW Split Pivot not DW Link or VPP.

2) Full XT group with brakes from Merlin Cycles - $728 shipped from UK to US.
    Shimano XT M780 2 x 10 Disc Brake Groupset - Black | Groupsets - MTB | Merlin Cycles

3) Hope EVO2 650B Arch EX wheels from someone like CRC - $460 shipped from the UK to US

Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo 650b - Pro 2 Evo 650b details

Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stans Arch Rear 650b | Chain Reaction Cycles

Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo - Stans Arch Front 650b | Chain Reaction Cycles

4) Xfusion Sweep Fork - Should be ~$600 at Universal Cycles with VIP15 coupon. They should be in hand soon

5) Leaves you ~$600 for handlebar, stem, grips, dropper post, saddle and tires which is doable with fall sales. Reverb sales will be your best bet on the dropper at this price.

No real compromises any where other than with regard to choices.

-Shane
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How convertible are those hubs? The wheelset from PP is fully convertible if I am not mistaken (20/15/9 front 135/142 rear with adapters).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hopes are fully convertible. When you say PP wheels are you referring to Stans 3.3 hubs or something else? Seals are poor on most of the chinese hubs. I personally think Hope makes a much better hub with reasonable POE, than all the cheap ones coming out of china. These wheels are Hope hubs, Stans rims and Sapim spokes with brass nips. All good, quality parts I would buy if on a budget.

From their site:

"The following types are available and can be interchanged with additional spacers/axles which are available separately: - Front QR - Front 9mm - Front 20mm - Front 15mm - Front Maverick fork - Rear QR - Rear 10mm Saint - Rear 12mm (135) - Rear 10mm Bolt in (135) - Syntace X12 142mm". They also were one of the first to have a XD1 driver for XX1

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?it...ab=description

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    How convertible are those hubs? The wheelset from PP is fully convertible if I am not mistaken (20/15/9 front 135/142 rear with adapters).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

jrm
    mtbr member
    fully convertible but the 24 point engagement sucks...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Hopes are fully convertible. When you say PP wheels are you referring to Stans 3.3 hubs or something else?
    Thanks for the reply and sorry to thread jack. Yes, I am talking about the Stans 3.3 hub. I am defintely for buying non-Chinese made parts when they are available. In general, I have had a lot of bad luck with Chinese made goods that look quality but quickly fall apart. The POE isn't a big concern either. I went from the older style Crossmax ST with, I believe, 24 POE to the new style with 48 and can't really tell much of a difference other than the noise.