mtbr member
    Feb 2011

What size rigid fork to use 26 or 29?

I am thinking of converting my son's bike into a 650. It is a 26'er right now. If I go rigid with the front fork do I use a rigid 26'er, or a rigid 29'er. I don't know if this is a stupid question or not. It seems like one, considering it is a 26'er and not a 29'er. But hey I just don't know, and it's late and I'm tired. Thanks for the help.

P.S: the bike is a DB. in case it makes a difference.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Not really a dumb question. If you use a suspension-corrected rigid fork, then a 26er might be a better fit. FWIW, my Surly Karate Monkey 29er rigid fork is only about 3mm different from my Surly Instigator 26er rigid fork. The reason they are so close is that the 29er fork corrected to 80mm, whereas the 26er is corrected to 100mm.

Obviously you want the tire to fit inside the fork. Then you want the axle-to-crown to be in the zone for which your frame is designed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Jonathan. How much width is needed to accomadate a 650b tire(both F/R).
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j View Post
    Thanks Jonathan. How much width is needed to accomadate a 650b tire(both F/R).
    the kenda nevegal 2.1 650b tire in my opinion is the shortest tire and has
    the minimal width, so going with thsoe may be a safe bet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have three 26" forks I run 650b wheels on. All 3 can run a Neo Moto 2.3 with no problems. The forks are a Kona Project 2, an Origin 8 Black Ops Carbon, and a Redline Monocog fork. The Origin 8 fork has the most clearance, followed by the Redline fork. If you want something cheap, try the Redline option. I run a Nevegal 2.3 in that fork with plenty of clearance.

bikeboatbrewski
    If yur interested I got a Haro Beasley rigid fork unused I could sell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Not really a dumb question. If you use a suspension-corrected rigid fork, then a 26er might be a better fit. FWIW, my Surly Karate Monkey 29er rigid fork is only about 3mm different from my Surly Instigator 26er rigid fork. The reason they are so close is that the 29er fork corrected to 80mm, whereas the 26er is corrected to 100mm.

Obviously you want the tire to fit inside the fork. Then you want the axle-to-crown to be in the zone for which your frame is designed.
    Instigator and Karate Monkey are more than 3mm different.

Karate Monkey fork = 468mm

Instigator Fork = 447mm

That's a grand total of 21mm difference.