mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Smile What are my options 100mm FS

Looking for a 650B 100mm travel front and back! for xc racing and marathon racing. Seems like 95% of 650b are 120 or more. I want to build a light weight fs rig!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xcfire View Post
    Looking for a 650B 100mm travel front and back! for xc racing and marathon racing. Seems like 95% of 650b are 120 or more. I want to build a light weight fs rig!
    How tall are you? Unless you're really short for the riding you describe and travel, a 29er really is the better tool
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    5'8 ft right in between I thought the course would dictate more of the wheel size than rider height?

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Giant Anthem 27.5, $2,250 and 100mm front/rear with a decent build. But if you can swing about $3,400 they have a carbon model with nicer bits hanging off of it.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wheel size has less to do with height than riding style. I'm 6'2" and not a fan of the 29ers. I respect them, just not my thing. I love the 650Bs though. I will say this, as a bike shop employee fitting people who ride Mediums or smaller (Giant and GT sizing is almost exactly the same) to 27.5s is a lot easier than to a 29er. Most of our customers are new to the sport and I'd get complaints about the toptube being to close when they were standing on the ground. Some will go with the Talons, and some love the feel of the 29er enough to deal with the clearance issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Man, I'm not positive, but it looks like Giant's Anthem X 27.5 is the only one in that category. GT and Jamis both seem to have gone with 130mm bikes that they feel are capable Marathon racers. Otherwise than that it seems to be all Enduro/All Mountain rigs.

mtbr member
    Scott spark, but might be 120mm

Scott Launch three new 650b Models | Spoke Magazine

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    How tall are you? Unless you're really short for the riding you describe and travel, a 29er really is the better tool
    People need to stop posting this. Wheel size has nothing to do with suspension travel or height. I noticed most often people that say this are under 6' themselves. I'm 6'4" and I can say without a doubt that, while owing all three wheel sizes, 650b wheels are no more or less suited to me than anyone else. The only people that have problems with wheel size are small 29ers and I've seen a 4' something 10 year old little girl killing it on a 29er, smaller than the plethora of guys that claim a small 29ers can't fit them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    People need to stop posting this. Wheel size has nothing to do with suspension travel or height. I noticed most often people that say this are under 6' themselves. I'm 6'4" and I can say without a doubt that, while owing all three wheel sizes, 650b wheels are no more or less suited to me than anyone else. The only people that have problems with wheel size are small 29ers and I've seen a 4' something 10 year old little girl killing it on a 29er, smaller than the plethora of guys that claim a small 29ers can't fit them.
    I was just stating a current reality, it's what the trend is, if I'm wrong, then please, give us that long list of 100mm 650B bikes.

I call bs on the 4' 10 year old killing it unless killing it mean just riding around the pavement.

Sorry if I disagree, but I feel when you need to start doing this to make a bike fit, it doesn't fit:
    What are my options 100mm FS-img_3301-700x937.jpg
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another option:

Lenz Sport Revelation 650b

Lenz Sport :: The best full-suspension mountain bikes :: Revelation 650b

"This super light Lenz mountain bike sports 3 or 4 inches of smooth travel and 650b wheels"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/the...am-848775.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...uy-870120.html

There are a few interesting choices. Custom builders and less known brands like Scapin, Olympia or FRM.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You should take a look at the Kona HeiHei series it is pretty sweet. There closest thing to what you want is the precept, 27.5 FS, but has either 120mm or 130mm up front.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by xcfire View Post
    Haven't you heard, 650 with 120mm is the new 100 XC/Marathon setup!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I was just stating a current reality, it's what the trend is, if I'm wrong, then please, give us that long list of 100mm 650B bikes.

I call bs on the 4' 10 year old killing it unless killing it mean just riding around the pavement.

Sorry if I disagree, but I feel when you need to start doing this to make a bike fit, it doesn't fit:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3301-700x937.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	830924
    Last time I checked, no one asked if you thought a 29er would be better.

Must have really hit a nerve. Yes she is an XC racer in the making. She was on a XS small WSD Trek X-Cal and tearing trail since I was at the trail riding myself and not sitting in a bike shop spouting my opinion of what is and isn't proper bike "fit". Funny thing about kids vs out of shape 40 something dudes when it comes to "fit". No one needs to have a -25 stem to ride a bike whether you claim it "fits" properly or not. What's going to be the difference? What is the purpose of the fit and what if you don't care about being in the most optimum pedaling position?

The point of my post that was mostly taken out of context, was that the whole notion that 29ers are more appropriate for tall people than 650b is nothing but opinion. You were adding nothing useful to the discussion other than typical shop talk BS about fitting.

As for 100mm XC bikes... There aren't many 650b bikes but that has more to do with trending and people like this guy mindlessly repeating everything they hear. Here on MTBR even before there were 650b bikes, most people posted their baseless opinions on where 650b should start and most people claimed they should definitely in the trail and AM categories first. As all these people who have never seen a wheel in person suddenly all became experts on where the wheel size is best developed and marketed.

How many new 100XC bikes are produced from any brand? New XC 29ers are moving over 100mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last time I checked, no one asked if you thought a 29er would be better.

Must have really hit a nerve. Yes she is an XC racer in the making. She was on a XS small WSD Trek X-Cal and tearing trail since I was at the trail riding myself and not sitting in a bike shop spouting my opinion of what is and isn't proper bike "fit". Funny thing about kids vs out of shape 40 something dudes when it comes to "fit". No one needs to have a -25 stem to ride a bike whether you claim it "fits" properly or not. What's going to be the difference? What is the purpose of the fit and what if you don't care about being in the most optimum pedaling position?

The point of my post that was mostly taken out of context, was that the whole notion that 29ers are more appropriate for tall people than 650b is nothing but opinion. You were adding nothing useful to the discussion other than typical shop talk BS about fitting.

As for 100mm XC bikes... There aren't many 650b bikes but that has more to do with trending and people like this guy mindlessly repeating everything they hear. Here on MTBR even before there were 650b bikes, most people posted their baseless opinions on where 650b should start and most people claimed they should definitely in the trail and AM categories first. As all these people who have never seen a wheel in person suddenly all became experts on where the wheel size is best developed and marketed.

How many new 100XC bikes are produced from any brand? New XC 29ers are moving over 100mm.

Sounds more like my one line hit your jugular.

OP posted a question on a public forum, are you our official forum police?

I offered an opinion in case the OP is caught up in the 650b fever and hasn't tried a 29er yet. That's it.
    Are you the office fit police to?

Where did I mention 29er is better for tall people or any of the other crap you just posted?

I have a 5ft wife, so my fitting comments come from some experience not the armchair. Maybe you should do some reading on the women's forum and the discussions of trying to fit a good fit. Can it be done yes, is it a lot harder yes.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am currently riding a 2012 Jamis 650b pro and I love the bike. Of Course I am only 5' 7" with a 30" inseam and 15.5" with a 90mm stem fits me perfect. The bike has 130mm of travel and it works perfectly for pretty much everything I ride.

My past bikes were a 100mm Moots Zirkel full Suspension which I regret selling and a prior to buying the Jamis a Specialize Epic S-Works 29'r. In my honest opinion it was the best dirt roadie bike I have ever owned but when I took it into super tight twisty rocky single track it was a Pig at best. After 4 months of fighting the bike and hating riding I sold the back for 50 cents on the dollar to just get rid of it.

That is when I bought the Jamis 650b and fell it love with riding all over again. Jamis has been around the block and understands 650b better them most everyone so I figured I would give it a try and I am very impressed.

So my new goal was to build up a 2nd bike with 100mm travel front and back. So I have been searching for about a month now and I have spoken with Katie @ Eriksen (( Welcome to Kent Eriksen Cycles - Custom titanium bikes and frames )) about building either there 4"-4" Ventana or the 3.9" - 4/5" Bingham design bike. If I bought another bike from Ken (First bike was a YBB that I rode for 12 years) I am certain I would ride it for the next 10 years.

But now Giant is in the game as well as a few others. So I am going to sit back till after interbike and see what's out there.

But honestly if you bought the Jamis 650b with 130mm travel you would be very happy. The only reason that I am looking at the 100mm bike is to be 2" lower for the super tight low tree limb trails that I seem to like to ride.

ps my Jamis 650b is 23lbs as a 1 x 10 ( no pedals )
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Really need to check out Lenzsport. I had a Revelation 3.0 650b built earlier this summer, and CANNOT BELIEVE what a great ride it is. Super crisp handling, 25.8 pounds for full suspension seems pretty great to me. Can't get over how fun it handles. Seems pretty beefy. And you can spec your own components so no compromises.

Lenz Sport :: The best full-suspension mountain bikes :: Revelation 650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I totally agree with this.
    I'm 6'3" and ave had 8 29ers over the past 7 years. They're good for beginner to intermediate riders as they are huge skill compensators. As a certified mtb instructor I train all sorts of riders on all bikes and I believe that thebenefit of 29ers appear on rolling terrain. Anything steep, tight and technical and they can be a nuisance. For meat 225lbs the 29er was never stiff enough (unless you're happy to spend $8,000). People continuously spout the crap that at 6' and over you should be on the big wheels. Try telling Steve Peat and Gee Atherton that!
    For skilled riders 29ers numb the trail - like riding with anaesthetic.
    I prefer a 650b any day. I ride a converted RM element and can't wait for some short travel options. Looks like Giant is the main one out right now. Really hoping pivot or Santa Cruz will release something soon.
    Medz

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

check out Lenz

Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    I totally agree with this.
    I'm 6'3" and ave had 8 29ers over the past 7 years. They're good for beginner to intermediate riders as they are huge skill compensators. As a certified mtb instructor I train all sorts of riders on all bikes and I believe that thebenefit of 29ers appear on rolling terrain. Anything steep, tight and technical and they can be a nuisance. For meat 225lbs the 29er was never stiff enough (unless you're happy to spend $8,000). People continuously spout the crap that at 6' and over you should be on the big wheels. Try telling Steve Peat and Gee Atherton that!
    For skilled riders 29ers numb the trail - like riding with anaesthetic.
    I prefer a 650b any day. I ride a converted RM element and can't wait for some short travel options. Looks like Giant is the main one out right now. Really hoping pivot or Santa Cruz will release something soon.
    Medz
    Seriously, if you're seeking short-travel 650b, check out the Revelation 3.0. I looked at all the name-brand 650b rides at this price point and I really think I scored on this one. I think they nailed the geometry, and I think I ended up with better component setup by being able to pick and choose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What travel front fork did you go with on your ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainroo View Post
    Seriously, if you're seeking short-travel 650b, check out the Revelation 3.0. I looked at all the name-brand 650b rides at this price point and I really think I scored on this one. I think they nailed the geometry, and I think I ended up with better component setup by being able to pick and choose.
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's a Reba RL with the 100mm spring setup. I think it can also be set up for 120mm