dwt
    mtbr member

What Mountain Bike UK tests Dakar 650b Comp

And rebuking On One's Brant @ shedfire of Twitter fame, they love the bike .

What Mountain Bike

I downloaded the issue on my Iphone. Sample Quote:

"This is one of the best 130mm trail bikes we have tested at this price, regardless of wheel size"
    If you don't want XC or full on 6" AM, you should check out this bike 2013. I'm riding an old 2010 B2, and totally love it
    Last edited by dwt; 06-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I'm just not real enthusiastic about the component spec. Also the "frame set" includes a White Bros fork for $2500. If I could get the just frame and shock for $1500-ish, I'd probably be in the market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittzer View Post
    I'm just not real enthusiastic about the component spec. Also the "frame set" includes a White Bros fork for $2500. If I could get the just frame and shock for $1500-ish, I'd probably be in the market.

I agree, $2500 is a little steep for the Jamis. I also have never ridden a WB fork, and from reviews some say they are awesome and others are underwhelmed. So I am hesitant to try one.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I agree, $2500 is a little steep for the Jamis. I also have never ridden a WB fork, and from reviews some say they are awesome and others are underwhelmed. So I am hesitant to try one.
    Keep in mind that if it wasn't for WB, Jamis wouldn't be where it was now and this forum wouldn't be here. Not talking about blind loyalty; I have the old Fluid which is a great fork so the Loop is even a slight improvement it is the best on the market now. We'll see about Fox and RS 2013.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am endorsing loyalty to Jamis, KHS, Ventana, WB and X-fusion. They stuck their necks out and made this happen, so now I'm going to buy a newcomer with a sexier brand name? Hope not. The ONLY thing that would cause that would be a cracked frame. BTDT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Keep in mind that if it wasn't for WB, Jamis wouldn't be where it was now and this forum wouldn't be here. Not talking about blind loyalty; I have the old Fluid which is a great fork so the Loop is even a slight improvement it is the best on the market now. We'll see about Fox and RS 2013.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I am endorsing loyalty to Jamis, KHS, Ventana, WB and X-fusion. They stuck their necks out and made this happen, so now I'm going to buy a newcomer with a sexier brand name? Hope not. The ONLY thing that would cause that would be a cracked frame. BTDT.
    I understand all that, and I do appreciate what WB has done for 650b. However this still doesn't change the fact that reviews of the Fluid and Loop don't make it sound as good as a Fox. Especially when you consider the price of a Loop.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    after 2seasons and working on a third my Fluid has been able to handle whatever i throw at it. If I do go another route when I replace it probably X fusion. Fox is over hyped and over priced IMHO

dwt
    mtbr member
    I understand all that, and I do appreciate what WB has done for 650b. However this still doesn't change the fact that reviews of the Fluid and Loop don't make it sound as good as a Fox. Especially when you consider the price of a Loop.
    I've had this thought since I first heard about the Whole Enchilada Enduro in Moab this fall. Jamis and WB should get some bad ass pros on the Comp and get on the podium. That would be all the advertising they would need for 2013. Some 650b bike should win that race is what my gut tells me. If not Jamis, maybe Ventana or Intense or somebNorth Shore stud on a Norco 650b Range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonked
    I think the Loop is closer to the Magic, not the Fluid. But that said, I love my WB Magic. Fantastic fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Love the Loop

Fifteen mos. of abuse on my Loop, as smooth as ever. Best experience with any fork I've owned, by far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I get that whole support those who support your thing but the Loop on the Dragon 650b that I test rode was complete garbage. The stiction was AWFUL. I'm 220lbs geared up and it actually took some serious effort on my part to even get that fork to start moving. I really wanted to like it too. The POS RST Deuce fork on my Cannondale F4 was far better, IMO.

I think a lot of people posting about how happy they are with their Loop and other forks is their own justification for buying it. That seems to be a common occurence on the internet with a lot of different products. The more they tell others they like something the more it justifies to them that they made a good buy. Having said that, I would very much like to try an X Fusion Velvet. I have heard the good things about those too. I need to see for myself.

I'm no fan of the Fox that's on my Niner but the Fox forks I've ridden on other bikes feel great. None of them compare to my Reba though. It's my personal favorite. YMMV.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    I get that whole support those who support your thing but the Loop on the Dragon 650b that I test rode was complete garbage. The stiction was AWFUL. I'm 220lbs geared up and it actually took some serious effort on my part to even get that fork to start moving. I really wanted to like it too. The POS RST Deuce fork on my Cannondale F4 was far better, IMO.

I think a lot of people posting about how happy they are with their Loop and other forks is their own justification for buying it. That seems to be a common occurence on the internet with a lot of different products. The more they tell others they like something the more it justifies to them that they made a good buy. Having said that, I would very much like to try an X Fusion Velvet. I have heard the good things about those too. I need to see for myself.

I'm no fan of the Fox that's on my Niner but the Fox forks I've ridden on other bikes feel great. None of them compare to my Reba though. It's my personal favorite. YMMV.
    I don't have anything to justify, apparently you don't know how to adjust suspension.The Loop came on my bike, I was highly skeptical because I have had no experiance with WB products. I'm just calling as I see em.

bonked
    I think you're confusing stiction with the way the valving is intended to work on that fork. The Loop has an improved version of the magnetic valving in the Magic. Not intended to be very 'plush' and active like a Reba. I have both, I prefer the Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
    I think you're confusing stiction with the way the valving is intended to work on that fork. The Loop has an improved version of the magnetic valving in the Magic. Not intended to be very 'plush' and active like a Reba. I have both, I prefer the Magic.
    That would be my guess--the platform valving must've been cranked up. I made that mistake with my Magic just the other night. Had it cranked down from some mixed road/trail riding then hit a rough trail and said, damn, where's my travel? It's a fantastic fork--I think it's the best performer I've ever used. I like it lots more than the Talas I had on my Trek. I'd try/buy a Loop in a minute.

I feel more like I owe 650b a debt of gratitude for the fork rather than visa versa, because I wouldn't have tried a White Bros fork if I hadn't gotten interested in this wheel size and basically had so few other suspension options...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post

I think a lot of people posting about how happy they are with their Loop and other forks is their own justification for buying it. That seems to be a common occurence on the internet with a lot of different products. The more they tell others they like something the more it justifies to them that they made a good buy.
    Very true. But in my case, I got one of the best eBay deals ever and stole the Fluid. So I'm not justifying paying a lot of money for a mediocre part. I'm just saying its a good fork at any price, especially a low one

Last summer I built up 2010 Jamis B2 buying a new frame for $500 closeout price on eBay. Swapped out components from my old 26'er. Needed front and rear wheels + fork. For around $375 I got a used Fluid, ZTR 355 rim laced to 20mm King hub plus Neo Moto 2.3 tire. At that price, if only the hub was any good, I'd be in good shape. Turns out all parts were and still are primo. Found a used eBay Blunt rim for the rear, which I laced to a new XT rear hub with 10mm bolt on thru axle.

Meanwhile, sold my26'er frame, fork and wheels for more $$ than the 650b parts.

So I ended up with a Frankenbike but who doesn't love those when they work great and cost little? I'm a huge eBay junkie and scored big time for my 650b.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Would like to hear more info from the article if anyone has it available.

Also guys, Francois here at MTBR will be getting a new Dakar 650B Pro for testing (hopefully he has it already). It will be interesting to get his take on the bike especially after how much he likes his converted SC Blur TRc and the rave review the bike got last year from MB Action mag. I can't wait for this review.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Would like to hear more info from the article if anyone has it available.
    No doubt Jamis will post it up on its website soon -along with all the other reviews and shoot outs.

I feel hesitant to post it up. Wouldn't want to piss off my UK mates for $4.95, online price per issue.

That said, one more tid bit :

This is simply a well put together bike that's increasingly at ease as the terrain gets increasingly challenging. At the same time it is a massive amount of fun on fast winding local singletrack. It loves being thrown around and exhibits absolutely no nasty habits. It's a class act.
    Anybody have a wife, GF, or SO that worthy??

Also guys, Francois here at MTBR will be getting a new Dakar 650B Pro for testing (hopefully he has it already). It will be interesting to get his take on the bike especially after how much he likes his converted SC Blur TRc and the rave review the bike got last year from MB Action mag. I can't wait for this review.
    Me too.
    Francois, two words PORCUPINE RIM!!

Last edited by dwt; 06-08-2012 at 12:08 PM.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Here is the full article:

http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/cate...-comp-12-46277

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here is the full article:

Jamis Dakar 650b Comp - First ride | Review | BikeRadar

Thanks for the link. Sounds great!

Guess I should finally put together my 2011 B2 and see how it rides
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Guess I should finally put together my 2011 B2 and see how it rides
    Um, yeah. I'm such a type A I could not handle having those parts lying around waiting to be put together.

Does your model have WB Loop or X-Fusion forks? What rear wheel + hub?

The 2010 has WB Fluid fork, and 135mm spacing + 10 mm QR in the back. I built my wheel with XT hub + 10mm bolt on thru axle. Have no clue how that compares with 12 x 142mm Maxle. At least superior than 10 mm QR axle of which I have broken 3 in the last 10 years: Spot SS mtb, Mavic mtb. and for good measure AM Classic road.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?crfzcl

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    And rebuking On One's Brant @ shedfire of Twitter fame, they love the bike .
    laughing. made my day :-)
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interested in hearing more on this bike. I am very interested in picking one up.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Interested in hearing more on this bike. I am very interested in picking one up.
    Should be available from any local Jamis dealer. Haven't heard they are sold out