Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

What made you want the 27.5 over the 29?

Did the 27.5 just feel better right away compared to the 29 or did it take some time to figure out? Maybe it's because it's not much bigger than the 26 and the 29 just felt like it wasn't comfortable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I only believed half the 29er hype so I only went half way there...

mtbr member
    Well I am currently on a cross country oriented HT 29er. Picked it up to try out mountain biking, fell in love, and quickly moved on to more trail riding. So I decided to go FS. Knew the geometry I wanted, so I started testing all the bikes I could. For me (5' 10" long torso short inseam) the 27.5 bikes felt better for the most part. There were a couple 29ers along the way (Process 111 and Specialized Enduro 29er) that felt pretty good, but I ended up going 27.5 because that was the bike that just clicked. I would have checked out 26ers but hardly any in the LBSs around here.

mtbr member
    I've been riding for years a hard tail 26er. A couple years a go I thought I give a 29er a shot because of the big hype, and because I wanted to try something different. So I bought a used 29'er Motobecane Phantom hard tail. DIDN'T LIKE IT. So I gave it to my son and went back to my 26er. Still I felt like I needed something a little bigger, but because of my hight 5'4' I am limited. So now I purchased a Cannondale Prohet only because with the full suspension I can convert it to a 27.5 (with some alterations) using my existing components. So. I'm exited and soon I will post my final conclusion in the experience. I believe it will be a positive one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Being 5-5" It will provide the advantages of a taller tire with out feeling too far off the ground which would make me ride more conservatively.

Vincit qui patitur
    I have 29er and 27.5.
    29er for XC and 27.5 for AM
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Anderson View Post
    Being 5-5" It will provide the advantages of a taller tire with out feeling too far off the ground which would make me ride more conservatively.
    Wow. Uh...this is a joke, right?

mtbr member
    Because 27.5 is the future, like it or not. And it's that good too. I know people get castrated on here for calling 29ers hype. But for me, when I saw a 5 ft tall shop guy (because he liked them???) trying to sell a fleet of 29ers to every woman, child, and man, I decided, for myself, that it was just a bunch of hype, a gimmick to sell something new. Although they have a niche xc market and, in their deffense, they are getting better geometry/travels so the sky is the limit for future designs. That's my opinion, to each their own. I thought the 27.5 looked to big in front of the bars at first, but now when I take my 26 inch cross country for a gravel grind it really scares me to think I use to ride that bike the way I did. The 27.5 is stabel and confidence inspiring, yet quick and nimble, really. It really is an excellent tire size for many, if not all applications and I think the bike designers have gotten this one right.

mtbr member
    With the Fuel EX8 26, i felt like i was getting hung up on random rocks here and there (also the steeper head angle and worn out suspension doesnt help the case) and just needed a little more of everything. So, slacker head angle, more travel and larger tire would be the ticket. Then the Troy came out with the 27.5... Done. That bike has been rocking my world. The sections of trail i used to get jammed up on, are now ridable. I carry more speed where my 26 used to slow down, rail turns faster and feel much more comfortable going faster. It is a combo of everything thats making my riding better though. Being a better, more experienced rider in general, fresh suspension with more travel, slacker head angle, taller tire, wider tire, better gearing in 1x, wider bars, etc...

I just love 27.5 and my bike in general. Everything more i wanted, i found in the 27.5 Troy. Mainly, I wanted something nimble and fun and in my eyes, 29er needs more effort to throw around. 27.5 made more sense.

It's about showing up.
    From 26 the 29 just felt floppy while steering and massive when spinning up. So I never bit. When 27.5 came out and it was time for a new bike I tested 3 29ers; a Carbon Tallboy, Spot HT, Spec Stumpy FSR Carbon. Nice bikes. Then I tested the 27.5 Solo and the Anthem Advance 1. While I did not care for the geometry of the Solo, both bikes were quicker as soon as you hit the pedal. The bikes were easier to whip around and still had an improved roll over 26.

for me, with my preferences, it was a no-brainer.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Re: What made you want the 27.5 over the 29?

Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I have 29er and 27.5.
    29er for XC and 27.5 for AM
    Yep same as this guy

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 08-11-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I bought into it years ago and converted a C'Dale Prophet. Didn't much care for it then. Fell for it again last year when the wheel size was blowing up.

For me -- considering my size and terrain -- 650b just isn't all that much different from a 26er. So I'm back on 29ers.

Which is not to say I don't like 650b. Wasn't the best choice for ME, but I'm glad the size is available for those that are stoked by it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am in the market for a new bike to replace my 9 year old Enduro. The 27.5 Heckler, the new one with a Pike is my number one choice. I would have preferred 26" but they aren't available anymore. I thought about the Tallboy LT and other 29ers FS that are longer travel, but cost is an issue and some are just overkill for me, e.g., Enduro 29 is just too much for what I ride. E29 and Camber were strong n the list but for travel reasons and that I don't want to spend another 9 years on FSR, I am going with santa Cruz.

Between the Tallboy LT and the Heckler, issue is cost, Pike, and wanting something more compact than 29 on FS, would have way preferred 26". If it was between a 26" heckler with a Pike and TallboyLT, I wouldn't consider the Tallboy at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the insight people. I'm haven't test ridden any 27.5's yet so I'm in the process of getting a feel for everything out there. I have my ss 26 that I'm holding onto, but thinking about maybe going 27.5 or 29 but not sure yet. I'm not off road as much as
    everyone here but thinking maybe a 29 frame with slicks for road use, and if I decide to use off road can switch the treads. There's also the 27.5 in the mix so I'm finding it quite confusing about which frame to go with. Hold onto the 26 for off road, and just go ss road frame, or 27.5/29 with slicks, and switch tires as I use for off road?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got back into riding about 8 years or so ago. At the time, 26er was basically all there was as far as options. I rode my 26er for about 4 years, and got some good use out of it, however, money became available and I decided it was time for a new rig. About that time, 29ers were becoming pretty popular and the LBS really tried to push them. I test ride the Specialized Rockhopper (i believe it was the RH) and felt pretty uncomfortable on it. The bike just didnt seem stable underneath me. I continued to search and try other bikes and test rode the Superfly 29er. It was night and day different then the RH. I was set to buy it, and the salesman offered me his basically new Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er with about 25 miles on it at a very realistic price (about 1/3 of new). I was skeptical due to my RH experience, but asked for a test ride anyways. I took it around the parking lot a few times and immediately it was better than the RH. Just to make sure i wasnt just "settling", I went to the Specialized Demo day and rode the same bike around for about 2 hours on my local trails. The bike was amazing. Though it did not have the "flickability" of my 26er, there was not a huge difference in the two in that regards, but it rolled over everything and was fast. Fast forward 3 years and I again became ready to purchase something new. I was super interested in both the Santa Cruz 5010 and the Yeti SB-75. I was looking to go to a FS that would have provided me a happy medium between the 26/29. Though I had not seen much "flickability" difference, I was ready to find that all around bike. Something that would roll over everything, but was nimble on the trail. I decided to go with the Yeti and could not be happier. It is everything that my 26/29 were AND everything that they were not. It is the perfect mix of the two. I think companies have hit this nail on the head going with a 650b.

Good luck with your purchase. Im sure you will select the right bike for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I never believed 29ers were better than 26ers, I even posted a post on mtbr back in, I believe 2002, about maybe a middle size like 27.5" would have been better idea than going up to something that was so much bigger as the 29er. Of course in some situations 29ers are faster, never did real really like mine, a ht and a fs. Then in 2009 I got the chance to ride a 27.5er and immediately knew this wheel size was better that the 29ers I've owned and ridden, but also way better than all the 26ers I've owned and ridden. Im sold on this size, from everything from xc to dh.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 06-28-2014 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    To me 29rs look odd.....and if I am going to drop $3,000, looks are part of the equation

thecentralscrutinizer
    For me, it was how the 29er handles and accelerates. Though not terrible, it is a huge jump coming from my 26er and i have never been able to get the 29er to handle like I want in part due to the height of the set-up required because of the tall wheels. Anyway, I finally decided to build a FS bike and knew that I would definitely not like a 29 FS with an even longer wheelbase, so I rented an Anthem 27.5 and knew that would be the right bike for what I needed.

I do think 29ers are best suited for people taller than me...lol
    Last edited by mopartodd; 06-29-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: to be less specific
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post

I do think 29ers are best suited for people 6 ft. and taller...
    How bout 5'11?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    To me 29rs look odd.....and if I am going to drop $3,000, looks are part of the equation
    Are 29er's that much?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I liked 9ers, I like 26ers and can only afford one bike to do it all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To clarify, i love my 29er ht, Yelli, but given a number of considerations, prefer a smaller wheel size for FS.

If money were not an issue, i'd have a FS 29er, no problem, e.g., E29, Lenz lunchbox, TallbotLt, Process111, i'd probably like them all, but I can only afford one fs bike right now, and that's driving the boat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Some of the new style flow trails have much more jump lines and bermed corners which make the 29 feel a little flexy. Wheels are super important on a 29er. With that being said I wanted a stiff, slack, and short rear cs which you now have plenty to chose from.

mtbr member
    Been riding 26'ers forever but tried a few 29'ers. I liked the 29'ers stability at speed and being able to roll over stuff but the lack of razor-sharp handling killed it for me.
    And better bunny-hopping with a 650b to boot.
    Last edited by upstateSC-rider; 06-29-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast