Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What Large Volume 650b Tires Clear a TRc and X-Fusion Velvet?

I'm going for the 650b conversion on my TRc. But before spending $60-$80 per tire, I'd like to know what large volume tires clear.

I like aggro tread and high volume and would hate to spend those dollars if there werent much clearance. The Schwalbe NN and R. Ralphs look good on their website but what widths are they? From the pictures, it looks like the NN is good for front and RR for rear.

What tires have been tried and trued?
    Last edited by myitch; 11-20-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Largest I've had in the back of the TRc is a 2.35 Nevegal and the new 2.35 Nobby Nic.....maybe 7mm of clearance, dry weather only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What rim was the tire on? How you liking that 650b TRc and NN tire? What you have up front?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Probably had one, if not the first conversions I know of back in September last year.

First off with American Classics and RaRa then I had 2 sets of Stans Crest/Hope hubs again with RaRa for trailriding and the 2nd set of wheels with 2.35 Nevegals for shuttle days.

Both tyres I mentioned in the my other post are on Stans Crest.

Dissolved member
    Which Velvet, which year? I have a 2011 (or 2010) Velvet RL without the 605b shim and when fully compressed, a NeoMoto 2.3 on Alex XD Lite (a narrow rim) just clears the crown. With the shim installed, you should have plenty of clearance for the biggest tires.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The new NN 2.35" tire measures 2.3" with my caliper so width is no issue. About 711mm tall though (almost 28") and this is where you'll need to shim the shock even more on a TRc if you want to run that tire. The Velvet or a regular Fox fork would need to be shimmed or you would have crown contact at bottom out.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    The new NN 2.35" tire measures 2.3" with my caliper so width is no issue. About 711mm tall though (almost 28") and this is where you'll need to shim the shock even more on a TRc if you want to run that tire. The Velvet or a regular Fox fork would need to be shimmed or you would have crown contact at bottom out.
    What do you mean even 'more'? More than what? I plan to run a NN or HD on the rear of my TRc so your words of experience are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Even more?

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Even more?
    This goes back to history. You should be able to find threads about rear shock shimming for NeoMoto 2.3 clearance for a bunch of frames. Neo 2.3 used to be the benchmark tire for conversions. I am guessing that by even more, Skidad means more than what was discussed in the past as sufficient for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Everything I've read so far states that the nobby nic 2.35's are much bigger than the neo-moto. As someone who is looking to B a TRc, I' think I'm going to go nobby nic 2.25 in rear b/c I THINK what skidad meant is that the schwalbe tires are bigger than the pacenti's thus requiring more travel limitations.
    from what I read from a poster's conversion, Shimming the shock 3mm reduces travel by almost 10mm. I don't want to loose any more travel than that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh, that's what I was afraid of, losing more travel to accommodate bigger meats. We're already going to have to shock shim for any 650b tire. It's not like 125mm is a ton of travel already and to lose more is just not worth it. I think I'll have to go the 2.25 route also for NN. Now that might be too small compared to the 2.35 HD I plan for up front. It might be a motocross bike...

Just how much bigger are the 2.35 NN than the largest Neo Moto anywaz?
    Wait a minute. On bikediscount (Germany) the NN's aren't available in a 2.25. Are they elsewhere?
    Last edited by myitch; 11-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a NN coming on Wed. so I'll take some before and after pics of the difference in clearance (currently on a Neo moto 2.3) I don't plan on adding more than the 3mm of shims I already have.

Dissolved member
    Wait a minute. On bikediscount (Germany) the NN's aren't available in a 2.25. Are they elsewhere?
    Yup, here you go - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 650b/27.5"" x 2.25 Tubeless Ready Folding Pacestar Tires - Pro Bike Supply

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    dang. $20 more than bikediscount's 2.35 NN. is this the cheapest price around?

mtbr member

subscribed

subscribed

Dissolved member
    dang. $20 more than bikediscount's 2.35 NN. is this the cheapest price around?
    How much do the Germans charge for shipping? The last time I ordered RaRas from Germany, shipping was like 50% of the total.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    How much do the Germans charge for shipping? The last time I ordered RaRas from Germany, shipping was like 50% of the total.
    I paid $26.48 shipping on 4 schwalbe evo tires from bike-discount the beginning of the month. (And still am waiting for them to arrive.) Order worked out to $46 a tire shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    This goes back to history. You should be able to find threads about rear shock shimming for NeoMoto 2.3 clearance for a bunch of frames. Neo 2.3 used to be the benchmark tire for conversions. I am guessing that by even more, Skidad means more than what was discussed in the past as sufficient for it.
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks StiHacka

The Nobby Nick 2.35 measures about 711mm in diameter where the Neo Moto measures approx. 698.5mm. A Nevegal 2.35 is approx 704mm and my WTB Wolverine 2.2's are also approx 704mm in diameter.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    I have a NN coming on Wed. so I'll take some before and after pics of the difference in clearance (currently on a Neo moto 2.3) I don't plan on adding more than the 3mm of shims I already have.
    What size you planning on putting back in the rear? Pics would be great and very helpful. My 650b wheels are on the way and I need to order tires soon.

I plan to go 2.35 HD front and would like a 2.35 NN rear, but I'll wait to see what you're running. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I test fitted a 2.3 Neo Moto on the rear of my TRc the other day and it was a super tight fit already. I shimmed the shock using 3mm of washers and even then at full compression the tire just buzzes the front derailleur cable and the wheel was somewhat tough to install due to the axle hitting the derailleur hanger when you are trying to put the wheel on.
    If the NN 2.35s are any bigger in diameter than the Neo Motos then I don't think they would fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I test fitted a 2.3 Neo Moto on the rear of my TRc the other day and it was a super tight fit already. I shimmed the shock using 3mm of washers and even then at full compression the tire just buzzes the front derailleur cable and the wheel was somewhat tough to install due to the axle hitting the derailleur hanger when you are trying to put the wheel on.
    If the NN 2.35s are any bigger in diameter than the Neo Motos then I don't think they would fit.
    Well, then. No go on Neo Motos. Thanks for that info.

What's the "next" biggest tire then for the TRc rear? The NN 2.25? What did Francois use?

mtbr member
    Well, then. No go on Neo Motos. Thanks for that info.

What's the "next" biggest tire then for the TRc rear? The NN 2.25? What did Francois use?
    The 2.3 Neo Moto works fine on the rear of a TRc. I've bottomed my shock out plenty of times with it and haven't had an issue. It did buzz my Big Air tire inflator that was in my seatpost. I just flipped that upside down. I have pics around this thread or on the SC TRc thread of the tire clearance with the TR. Just off the top of my head it's about .25-.3" of clearance in front of the tire and about the same on the sides.
    I do have my shock shimmed 3 mm's.
    I'm not convinced its needed as I don't think you can achieve full compression of the shock with it aired up. I figured it's cheap and easy insurance so I shimmed it anyways. There is no noticeable change in the ride with the shims.

mtbr member
    Here is the view of a 2.3 NeoMoto from underneath on a TRc:

Dissolved member
    I have ordered a NN 2.25 recently and I am hoping it will work in RS Lyrik. I'll compare it with the 2.3 Neo when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I paid $26.48 shipping on 4 schwalbe evo tires from bike-discount the beginning of the month. (And still am waiting for them to arrive.) Order worked out to $46 a tire shipped.
    Me too - 4 tires (2 folding + 2 wire bead studded) shipped to Canada in just under 3 weeks for $28.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast