Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I decided to order a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 for the rear. I hoping that will fit. Those pics of the Neo Moto rear clearance is pretty tight. I don't know if the Ardent will fit and if that Neo Moto clearance is the "norm" but I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's more than the Neo Moto. I'll post pics when I can to help youse out.

Update: I just saw that Neo Moto picture. I would've gotten that one since it's already proven. Oh well, we'll see how this Ardent fits and rides.
    Last edited by myitch; 11-27-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update #2: I just installed a 2.35 NN in the rear and shimmed the shock with four 3/8" nylon washers. There's actually more clearance than I thought there'd be. I have about 3mm clearance from the back of the swingarm/BB area and 1mm from my front derailleur cable. I'll update after a trail ride soon.

mtbr member
    shimmed the shock with four 3/8" nylon washers
    You shimmed your shock 1.5 inches?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    You shimmed your shock 1.5 inches?
    No, the ID hole is 3/8". The total stack might be about 3mm or so.

And BTW, my Schwalbe HD fit with plenty of room on the Velvet fork. Nice. Cant wait to ride this puppy.

mtbr member
    Ahhh. That makes more since.
    That's how much mine is shimmed. Haven't had a chance
    to mount the NN yet, so good to know it will work in the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    No, the ID hole is 3/8". The total stack might be about 3mm or so.

And BTW, my Schwalbe HD fit with plenty of room on the Velvet fork. Nice. Cant wait to ride this puppy.
    How much travel do you lose with the 3mm of shims?

NN 2.35" is as tall as they come so I'm surprised you only had to shim it that much.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

NN 2.35" is as tall as they come so I'm surprised you only had to shim it that much.
    I'm not sure how much actual travel I lost but the shock stroke lost about 3/8" from the end. I didn't measure, just an estimate. Not too concerned though.

I had a short maiden voyage on my newly 650B'd TRc. In a word: AWESOME!
    I rode up my local trail which is littered with sharp-edged rocks, couple of tight turns, fast sections, very small 4" launchers which are great at high speed. I've ridden this trail probably about 1000 times on about 8 different bikes over the years.

The TRc climbed better than before (with 26" wheels), though with slightly more effort to keep the larger OD going, but easier over the rocks. Going down was a total blast. I had more confidence than before and felt nearly as fast as my HD (with 170mm coil front and 160mm rear). I didn't feel the lost rear shock travel difference.

Even with the large 2.35 NN in the rear, it never buzzed anything and for sure I used up the rear shock stroke. The clearance is very tight at the yoke of the chainstays, but even with a little sticky mud on the trails, it didn't pack up. The NN's seem to shed the mud pretty well. HD front and NN rear is winner combo!!!

Man, I am now sold on 650b! The TRc is such a great bike for this and with time, I might feel as fast down this rocky trail as my longer travel Ibis HD. And to think my TRc is 26lbs 7oz vs. my HD at 32lbs 5oz. One happy camper here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

I don't think you lose any travel in real world use.
    Even unshimmed you can't push the o-ring off of the shock shaft. If it is less than before it is imperceptible. I had the TR for 7 months before I made the switch to 650b. It doesn't feel like it has less travel now.

@Myitch - I know you had some concerns with the RP23. How's it feeling to you?
    Last edited by mestapho; 12-15-2012 at 06:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    @Myitch - I know you had some concerns with the RP23. How's it feeling to you?
    Eh, mestapho.

The RP23 seems fine. I like the Monarch on my HD and thought it may improve the TRc also. Its one of those you-don't-know-what-you're-missing-until-you-try-it type of questions. I've read mixed reviews on the Monarch's performance on the TRc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2