mtbr member
    Feb 2012

What Frame for a Fox 34 Talas 27.5, 150-120mm travel?

I bought one of these clearance forks, and am considering which frame to build it up on. I know the Giant Trance would work well, considering that is really close to the travel that comes stock on their trance 1 model. I can get a Trance frame only for $1,285 from my local bike shop. Any other suggestions or good deals out there on 27.5 frames (Full suspension or hardtail) that this fork would work well for?

I thought it would also be sweet as a hardtail fork for the Transition Transam 27.5, as that is specced with a 140mm fork on the build kits.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

mtbr member
    A Blur LTc...that's what I'm doing
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Turner Burner...
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    I know the Giant Trance would work well, considering that is really close to the travel that comes stock on their trance 1 model. I can get a Trance frame only for $1,285 from my local bike shop.
    Make sure you do your homework and confirm someone makes a 1 1/4" headset top bearing/cup for the frame to take a 1 1/8" fork (Tapered).
    I was actually considering the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Make sure you do your homework and confirm someone makes a 1 1/4" headset top bearing/cup for the frame to take a 1 1/8" fork (Tapered).
    good call

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've got a great XL Burner frame to sell you.

mtbr member
    I run that fork on my Tracer 275 and it's a great match, the frame is more plush but the forks pretty nice too.
    I would like to have tried the Foes 275 before I bought the Intense but according to the MTBR comparo the Tracer is the best peddaler.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

It'll work

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Giant's framesets come with 1 1/8" upper headsets. The Trance X29 i built up last year came with one, as well as the Trance 27.5 I'm in the process of finishing (see photo, sorry for the orientation- mobile phone pic). So no worries there. At the time I was looking at these forks, but the sale price wasn't as good so I got the Velvet 140/110 DLO instead. But if I could have gotten a Fox 34 Talas for 200 bucks I would have!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Frame for a Fox 34 Talas 27.5, 150-120mm travel?-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm surprised that everyone seems to want to swap out all the internals and change everything around in these forks.......how on earth could a 1,000 dollar fork be made soo poorly? I mean if it goes through the travel too quickly on the Descend mode, couldn't you just leave it in Trail on descents? Or add a smidge of air.......does super small bump compliance matter that much?.......Or on a trail with big drops and such, make sure you've got a little extra air, and on smoother easier trails, take a little out that day? ....Any first hand experience here?

mtbr member
    Setup is key & simply leave it in trail!

So many options for a frame, my vote is the Norco Sight Killer B!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Setup is key & simply leave it in trail!

So many options for a frame, my vote is the Norco Sight Killer B!
    No kidding! Time to go to the next thread and find myself a carbon hardtail frame to match with this fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    I bought one of these clearance forks, and am considering which frame to build it up on...

I thought it would also be sweet as a hardtail fork for the Transition Transam 27.5, as that is specced with a 140mm fork on the build kits.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.
    I'm leaning toward this option as well. Good idea, keep us updated with your choice!