Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nimble biker

what do you guys think of 27.5 wheels?

how does it compare to 26" wheel?

dwt
    mtbr member

About 1" larger than 26" in actual diameter with tire mounted (26'ers are really closer to 26.5"). A tad better roll, and a tad less flickable. No radical difference like 29" (which rolls much better but can feel like a tank)

So folks who buy them say best of both worlds. Others disagree, so they don't buy them.

Only way for you to decide is to demo yourself. If you can't where you live, take a vacation to somewhere you can.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    There's no way I would go back to the 26er wheels for my MUSS. Unless I bust'em up and I'm unable to fix the 650b in a timely and easy fashion and I need to ride. Compared to my 26er geared rides, the converted MUSS is the go to bike. I'll likely build a geared set and use them for the other rides. In this forum, I think you'll read a lot of the same opinion. There are plenty of threads that speak this truth. As dwt stated, the only way to really know is to try for yourself.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    giant bikes seem to be pushing 650b pretty hard, and they had a litle section in their catalogue showing how the 650b is the best of both worlds. Although the numbers do back it up, a lot of it is about rider size.
    I'm 6'5" at 240lbs, and I've ridden similar bikes back to back at a demo on a local trail, same day (29er to 26" to 650b to 29er). The 650b are better than the 26" wheels to me, but I prefer 29". The whole hard to turn, not as nimble, doesn't accelerate doesn't really apply to me because of my size. If I could find 32" wheels, I'd probably go for it. Switchbacks are a litle more difficult, but that's the only thing I've noticed where 26" has the benefit.

Dissolved member
    We think they are the 650bee's knees and we recommend you get a taste before you spend gold for a new bike.

PS: this topic has been beaten to death here, just browse the history of this forum

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    They're round, just like 26" and 29" wheels.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Hah. Just a little rounder then 26, less than 29. Just go try them.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've never been a fan of 29ers, and I'll never go back to 26" after riding all wheel sizes, pretty much sums it up from my own experience. If you haven't ridden them yet, you should demo some bikes. If you ride a 26er, you will not notice such a big difference, which is NOT a bad thing. Some people complain about not noticing much of a difference from 26" to 27.5, as they did with 29ers, but can you blame them? some think that since you didn't notice a huge difference, that it must not be that good or that it wont make a difference, but it will make a big difference, you just might not feel it within your first 5 minutes

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I'm in same boat. Looking for an excuse to buy/build a 650. i love my nimble, quick, fast to get up to speed 26ers , but 29ers rolls over, keeps momentum but slower to get rolling. i had a 69er, not sure why i changed it out. (I think it had non disc in back). in any event gonna get (disc) frame and build 69 again, if i don't love it or win lottery, i'll build a 650.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    In my experience 650b feels like 26 going up, but when you descend and corner you can feel the better traction and stability with the slightly bigger wheel size. The thing is, I don't think its a big difference/improvement at all. However, even though it's a small improvement, its still an improvement, even if it 5% or whatever the numbers say. That is why I'm going to build a 650b up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can anyone explain why downhill still uses 26"?

I'm still partial to 26" myself. All of mine run 26" and parts are plentiful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    From what I'm understanding in regards to the effects, benefits or feel of a 27.5 compared to a 26" or a 29" of what some have posted on this post or many other post that are similar.
    You are going to feel a bigger difference on a 29er from a 26er, there's no doubt, does it mean that the difference is good or better, there is a lot of discussion on that matter.
    Some talk about 27.5 being the best of both worlds ( that's my take) but that's been disputed by some( for some reason some believe that can't be possible).
    I'm not saying 27.5 is the "end all" wheel size, as of right now, I believe it to be superior in most cases for my personal riding/ racing.
    It comes down to what you like, if you can, spend time on all 3 sizes, maybe of bikes of the same model, each with the different wheel size and make your decisions based on those rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I converted my 26-inch Range to 650b and am really happy with the result. Very interesting comparing the same bike with 2 different wheel sizes. The 650b version is slightly lighter, climbs tech better, corners better, gets better traction, and feels much more lively. Downsides are that it sits taller, which reduces standover clearance and stability going downhill. Also requires a bit more steering input, but soon becomes intuitive. Much better trailbike but not as good AM bike as the the 26-inch version

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swagbrdr View Post
    Can anyone explain why downhill still uses 26"?
    Probably because they are a stronger, if everything else is equal. Same model/size of rim, same spoke count, same hub, etc...; smaller diameter rim will be stronger. This is a stronger argument for 26 over. 29. The 26 vs 27.5 strength would probably be similar, but only a litle bit weaker than 26. Given time, DH will probably go to 27.5 once someone steps up to the plate and does it.

dwt
    mtbr member

Now there's a useful comment.

HT's and FS are both mtn bikes.

6" of suspension and 4" are both suspension.

Disc brakes and V brakes are both brakes.

Tubeless and tubed are both tires, as are Rocket Rons and Nobby Nics.

So what's your point? Other than trying to be clever?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

how does it compare to 26" wheel?
    i ride bikes w/ both 26" and 27.5" wheel sizes (was able to retro-fit 27.5" NeoMotos in my current 26" 6" and 4" travel full susp bikes), and also ride a 29er (i replaced my FS 29er w traditional XC-oriented geo for a slacker "AM" HT model).

since rider height/size is relevant to the discussion, i'm 5' 8" (173cm).

for me (and i emphasize that), the difference is small but noticeable. i feel it mostly on rolling terrain where i can maintain momentum better--when riding 27.5" wheels, i'm either gaining on others who've out-pedaled me on my 26" wheeled bike, or coasting/pumping behind them (more than before) as they continue to pedal their 26" wheeled bikes.

climbing and general trail "feel" on my 4" bike after the 27.5" conversion was definitely smoother overall (but i think that has as much to do with suspension as it does wheel size: my 4" bike is a simple "high-forward" single pivot, ie like a Superlight or Heckler, and its rear end firms up a bit when pedaling; the bigger wheels' slightly shallower angle of attack tends to mask that firmness to some degree). however, my 6" bike's dw-esque virtual pivot/parallel "mini-link" design is more active when pedaling/climbing, so that difference in trail "feel" is not as noticeable compared to my 4" travel bike.

as others have posted here (and all over the web), the fact that (1) all else remaining equal (i.e. spoke gauge, lacing pattern, and general overall wheel weight), a wheel built around a smaller 26" rim should be stronger than a similar wheel built around a larger diameter rim, and (2) the 26" hoop's angle of attack relative to 27.5" and 29" wheels make it easier to pop off every little feature on the trail, i don't see 26" disappearing anytime soon for burly DH/FR/DJ/slopestyle riding, despite all the b.s., internet hype, and general fear mongering on pinkbike or other sites.

wheel size and biking is like variety in skiing, surfing, etc--it's all horses for courses and choosing the right tool for the job at hand. the wheel size "issue" is tired and played out imho, and the 3 common sizes today (26"/559mm rim, 27.5"/584mm rim, and 29"/622mm rim) all have their pros and cons. one isn't ever gonna be better than the others for all riders in all situations. it's always gonna boil down to prioritizing your gear for the kind of riding you wanna do (with the emphasis on you as an individual).
    Last edited by slo_rider; 10-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Now there's a useful comment.
    Thanks! I thought so.

NedwannaB

Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    i ride bikes w/ both 26" and 27.5" wheel sizes (was able to retro-fit 27.5" NeoMotos in my current 26" 6" and 4" travel full susp bikes), and also ride a 29er (i replaced my FS 29er w traditional XC-oriented geo for a slacker "AM" HT model).

since rider height/size is relevant to the discussion, i'm 5' 8" (173cm).

for me (and i emphasize that), the difference is small but noticeable. i feel it mostly on rolling terrain where i can maintain momentum better--when riding 27.5" wheels, i'm either gaining on others who've out-pedaled me on my 26" wheeled bike, or coasting/pumping behind them (more than before) as they continue to pedal their 26" wheeled bikes.

climbing and general trail "feel" on my 4" bike after the 27.5" conversion was definitely smoother overall (but i think that has as much to do with suspension as it does wheel size: my 4" bike is a simple "high-forward" single pivot, ie like a Superlight or Heckler, and its rear end firms up a bit when pedaling; the bigger wheels' slightly shallower angle of attack tends to mask that firmness to some degree). however, my 6" bike's dw-esque virtual pivot/parallel "mini-link" design is more active when pedaling/climbing, so that difference in trail "feel" is not as noticeable compared to my 4" travel bike.

as others have posted here (and all over the web), the fact that (1) all else remaining equal (i.e. spoke gauge, lacing pattern, and general overall wheel weight), a wheel built around a smaller 26" rim should be stronger than a similar wheel built around a larger diameter rim, and (2) the 26" hoop's angle of attack relative to 27.5" and 29" wheels make it easier to pop off every little feature on the trail, i don't see 26" disappearing anytime soon for burly DH/FR/DJ/slopestyle riding, despite all the b.s., internet hype, and general fear mongering on pinkbike or other sites.

wheel size and biking is like variety in skiing, surfing, etc--it's all horses for courses and choosing the right tool for the job at hand. the wheel size "issue" is tired and played out imho, and the 3 common sizes today (26"/559mm rim, 27.5"/584mm rim, and 29"/622mm rim) all have their pros and cons. one isn't ever gonna be better than the others for all riders in all situations. it's always gonna boil down to prioritizing your gear for the kind of riding you wanna do (with the emphasis on you as an individual).
    Or whatever word's appropriate! Enuff's enuff already! Ride your ride whatever the circumference....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Appropriate steps:
    1. Know the 3 different mtb wheel sizes

2. Choose your favorite

3. Be a dick about it.

-How to be a mountain biker

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Probably because they are a stronger, if everything else is equal. Same model/size of rim, same spoke count, same hub, etc...; smaller diameter rim will be stronger. This is a stronger argument for 26 over. 29. The 26 vs 27.5 strength would probably be similar, but only a litle bit weaker than 26. Given time, DH will probably go to 27.5 once someone steps up to the plate and does it.
    Ahh yes. Great point. I should have know this. Duh. Another reason to stay with 26". Thanks for the knock on the skull...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Thanks! I thought so.
    sar·casm

/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun

noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Appropriate steps:
    1. Know the 3 different mtb wheel sizes

2. Choose your favorite

3. Be a dick about it.

-How to post on MTBR forums
    Fixed it for you.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    KHS riders Logan Binggeli and Kevin Aiello successfully race DH on 27.5 wheels. Minnaar won the World Championship on a 26", but like all the Santa Cruz Syndicate riders, races Enduro on a Bronson. Santa Cruz doesn't make a 27.5" DH bike (yet) who knows whether he would have ridden one at Worlds if they did. Certainly didn't "need" bigger wheels though, huh?

mtbr member
    So far I am really liking the 27.5 wheels on my Troy. It does not really feel like it has bigger wheels in the tight terrain, but it definitely rolls over stuff better. I really need to take it to the trials we have that are real tecky, rocky and steep though to get the last aspect of how the bigger wheels do.

-Brett

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The most amazing thing about this thread is you caught dwt on a good day in post #2 (he did warm up a bit in later posts unrelated to your original question). I figured for sure he would tee off on this question but StiHacka covered it pretty much in post #5. It's been beaten to death so do the research

Yeah, that's my contribution to this thread even though I've given plenty of good info for a long time in this forum section.

dwt, glad you were back to yourself in the later posts
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast