Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I gotta sound in on this because I feel like a couple of you have bad experiences with your LBS, but you gotta remember that you had a bad experience with someone who worked at the shop and it's not the LBS. I myself have had bad experiences with that LBS mech/snob/spandex guy. Always felt like he didn't have time to answer my questions, so I just kept comin in to ask and annoy and even got a little satisfaction out of it. I was a teen at the time (mid thirties now) and went back a few years ago cause I needed a tube and didn't want to wait. He was still there and still had no time for me. So I talked to someone else, one who shared my op of the guy and we got along rollingly. Another shop I used to go to in college was great when I was in college, but when I went back I didn't know anyone and was no longer hip enough. We're all people and some of us just have attitude and we all have opinions, which is why we be rolling along on our 650b convos.
    The right shop is the one where you feel you have comradre with someone there. I like having a local shop for good convo dispensing pieces of bike lore and wisdom, not the prices. I buy where I get the best deal, but sometimes I realize the price I pay at the shop is not just for the part but the stories, bits of knowledge, and comfort being around others who share my hobby.
    My current LBS has a few Jamis 650s and shares my opinion that some freedom can be found on 2 wheels of any size. In fact, I haven't talked to anyone there who was snobbish about wheel size, be they big, small, or in between. They know I won't buy everything from them, but I'll be there from time to time to get something.
    Appropriate response?... find the LBS that's right for you, share knowledge, splash some funds their way and avoid the ones that have close minded loops for brains.
    ^^^Agree whole heartedly.

Although I won't label myself a trend setter in this "alternate quirky wheel lifestyle", but after dabbling for several years now with more than the occassionoal "wtf's with those wheels?" or "when you going to grow into a 29'r?" jabs from some shop employees ranging from floor sweeper to GM's, it's kinda nice to roll into shops nowadays and getting comments from some of the same guys about "man, guess you were onto something huh"...

Some get it, some don't. Let 'em eat crow.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

NedwannaB
    ^^^^That's what I'm talking about!

dwt
    mtbr member

What is the appropriate response to local bike shop complaint about 275?

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

"man, guess you were onto something huh"...

Some get it, some don't. Let 'em eat crow.
    Of my close riding mates- 2 still on 26", 2 on 29"- only one of the 29'er guys will go so far as saying that I MIGHT be onto something with 27.5". Even MIGHT be "ahead of the curve." Of the 2 26" riders, one is about 6'3" tall. His next bike WILL be 29". The other guy is 5'8" tall and right now is in no hurry to get a new bike. He is a bit conservative and would only go 27.5" if the big bike manufacturers put a few models on their line and at least some of our LBS sell them from the floor. That won't likely happen till 2014.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

just some guy
    The appropriate response is "I guess you don't want my business then?" Customers typically aren't stoked to hear a retailer whining.

Keep on Rockin...
    It may evolve to where the 275 won't mean having to stock more bikes.

Now most shops worth their salt carry an AM line, trail and xc. It makes a lot of sense that the 275 will take over the AM and trail line. 29ers can cover the xc/race end. Folks who've ridden all 3 wheels sizes in various applications usually get it.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Of my close riding mates- 2 still on 26", 2 on 29"- only one of the 29'er guys will go so far as saying that I MIGHT be onto something with 27.5". Even MIGHT be "ahead of the curve." Of the 2 26" riders, one is about 6'3" tall. His next bike WILL be 29". The other guy is 5'8" tall and right now is in no hurry to get a new bike. He is a bit conservative and would only go 27.5" if the big bike manufacturers put a few models on their line and at least some of our LBS sell them from the floor. That won't likely happen till 2014.
    Given that what they've seen is my 6&8 yr old converted ht frame's, an '06 KHS fs frame, recently upgraded to a new '09 Bastardo frame but only bought last spring. I doubt I'll be getting any of the "new" technology that's coming out anytime soon. Possibly a 650 specific fork at somepoint for the Ventana but of a Velvet/Loop pricepoint. Until then the Fox Floats and Vanilla will carry me across any trail rubble I encounter.

BTW, I do ride a 29r and am 5'-6".

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    BTW, I do ride a 29r and am 5'-6".
    I'm sure you're too cool for school, but you're posting in the wrong forum.

What is the appropriate response to local bike shop complaint about 275?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360122205.517755.jpg

NedwannaB
    As in?.........

mtbr member
    Bike shops are relegated to the needy, they should be thankful to need to stock more variety to RE-SELL baed on market demand. (which is what they do already) WTF?
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

just some guy
    This bike shop employee probably also shows his dirty laundry to passersby: "Hey my wife failed to get the skid marks out of my boxer briefs - SEE?!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I got into mountain biking in 1995 and invested a lot in the technology at the time (26", 3x8) getting all the best parts. Over ther years, there have been so many changes to standards (handlebar clamp size, gears, steerer tubes, wheel diameters, v-brakes - disc brakes {two mounting styles}, axle sizes.......) and I really got turned off by it so I stuck with what I had. My main ride being a 1996 Diamondback Axis with top of the line parts from the day. Now that I am looking at the idea of getting a new bike, I want it to be on my terms, so I plan to make the choice based on what I feel is best. For the riding I do and my height, 650b makes the most sense, so I have no sympathy for anyone in the bike industry that is not happy with the latest changes. I am the one with the money and it is my time to speak with it in buying what I want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Bike shops are relegated to the needy, they should be thankful to need to stock more variety to RE-SELL baed on market demand. (which is what they do already) WTF?
    Bingo!!!

I simply don't understand why a bike shop wouldn't embrace anything new and controversial. Afterall, this juices consumer interest and that usually results in more sales. Selling the same ole same ole is a twindling business model. They should be so lucky to "have to" stock more bikes, tires, and tubes that will fly off the shelves.

mtbr member
    ...Not to mention a new market segment and interest bringing people into the shop!

(wait, sorry you did mention that! )
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    They should be so lucky to "have to" stock more bikes, tires, and tubes that will fly off the shelves.
    Except they don't fly off the shelves... They sit around until someone happens to walk in looking for that obscure part and they need it today. If they can wait until next week, they will order it online. People don't buy mountain bike stuff from a shop unless it's as cheap as online and bike shops can't match that pricing or even come close to it. You can get an XT crank online for $200 dollars. Bike shop cost (what the bike shop pays for it) is $220.

These are all nice sentiments but far from reality in market where mountain bike sales of all kinds are dwindling. Even though 650b and 29ers are popular and both segments are growing, the market as a whole for mountain bikes is down and continuing to go down. Foot traffic doesn't matter if people don't buy anything and use the shop as a virtual showroom.

Online sales for all products might seem low comparatively but online sales for bicycle accessories is much higher than 10% and the significance of black Friday is huge. 10% at a bike shop in terms of profitability can mean the difference between profit and closing. The average bike shop customer makes more income than the average bike shop earns in profit in a year. If the figure is 10% for Black Friday retail sales you have to remember that's saying 10% of all retail sales for the entire year happened in one day. That is huge. That whole shopping weekend makes up more than 10% of all retail sales for the entire year. That means a significant portion of the population isn't buying anything until that sale.

Also, 650b at retail shops is still something that will sell eventually for a discount. Yes it will generate interest. It will generate foot traffic but so will a 29er and the shop will turn a dozen 29er before they turn one 650b bike. It's not that shops don't want to sell them. You have to think in terms of the shop to understand why they would complain. Why should they carry 1650b which might sell eventually at a discount vs stocking product that will be sold out for sure at full price? If it were your money what would you do?
    Last edited by GTR-33; 02-09-2013 at 05:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Except they don't fly off the shelves... They sit around until someone happens to walk in looking for that obscure part and they need it today. If they can wait until next week, they will order it online. People don't buy mountain bike stuff from a shop unless it's as cheap as online and bike shops can't match that pricing or even come close to it. You can get an XT crank online for $200 dollars. Bike shop cost (what the bike shop pays for it) is $220.
    Maybe the shops should start buying their stock online???

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Keep the faith. I've tried several LBS in order to support my LBS'. But, I do buy mostly stuff used, and do most of my wrenching, but will go in LBS and bend over and buy tubes, bottles, tires ect.. I walked into a shop that i have known the owner for 20+years and left feeling unworthy of their time. Tried another shop and left feeling like an idiot. At this point i was done with LBS's. One day i needed a chain for an AM ride, and online was not an option. I reluctantly stopped into another LBS, Owner admitted that they were more of a "roadie" shop. I thought to myself, "again, really?". BUT, they "JRAB"s in Laytonsville, Md, helped me out. I left feeling like, WOW. They gave a ****. I have been back a few time for stuff. I have always left feeling like they were happy i came by. I wish i could do more $$ for them. My point is to keep looking, they are out there. Support them. Even if its only 2 tubes and a bottle. Tell your riding buddies about them, or post on a forum. Its nice to be able to pick up something that will allow you to ride in AM. Isn't that worth the extra $$? As for original post, Its must be hard to try to keep what everybody wants on their shelves. The LBS has to buy it, keep it on their shelves and pay inventory taxes on it. Then they get to sell some stuff in the bargain bin for a loss. I wouldn't want to tie my money up on new questionable potentional fads. Thanks to all the LBS's that have their customers leaving feeling like they matter .

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    . I wouldn't want to tie my money up on new questionable potentional fads. Thanks to all the LBS's that have their customers leaving feeling like they matter .
    If the LBS tells me that 27.5" is a "questionable fad", then not only will I leave feeling like I don't matter, it will reinforce my distrust of LBS in general

Which is the point of this thread in the first place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    If the LBS tells me that 27.5" is a "questionable fad", then not only will I leave feeling like I don't matter, it will reinforce my distrust of LBS in general

Which is the point of this thread in the first place.
    So when you go into a shop looking for X and they don't have it, don't ask them why they don't have it. You might not like the answer. Too bad. If the shop had enough people asking for X they would be stocking it. You seem to be under the impression that because you get someone saying "it's a fad" means that other people have asked for X but the store doesn't stock it anyway because of some personal bias. Bike shops will sell fads if people buy them. Fat bikes are a huge fad right now IMO and people buy them so bike shops sell them. People talk about 650b, and a lot of them are talking about converting their 26er. People aren't rushing to buy 650b because there aren't many whole bikes. Bike shops sell whole bikes and service. The amount of people that go into a bike shop just for part upgrades is incredibly small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i'v been on 650b's for a couple of years, had to internet tires and wheelsets,
    i wanted to try in the vee missions tires, i gave a lbs a chance to order for me
    but they said they could not get them, so i had to internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I feel for most lbs owners. Sadly, most lbs owners that I have encountered in my 20 plus years of riding are the typical lbs knuckleheads. I pray for the others out there that do it right. Lucky for the lbs that all people with bikes are not like the people on these forums that can fix their stuff and know what they want when they shop online for bikes or parts. Gtr-33 clearly knows his stuff. Good post

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    So when you go into a shop looking for X and they don't have it, don't ask them why they don't have it. You might not like the answer. Too bad. If the shop had enough people asking for X they would be stocking it. You seem to be under the impression that because you get someone saying "it's a fad" means that other people have asked for X but the store doesn't stock it anyway because of some personal bias. Bike shops will sell fads if people buy them. Fat bikes are a huge fad right now IMO and people buy them so bike shops sell them. People talk about 650b, and a lot of them are talking about converting their 26er. People aren't rushing to buy 650b because there aren't many whole bikes. Bike shops sell whole bikes and service. The amount of people that go into a bike shop just for part upgrades is incredibly small.
    I have been riding 27.5" for two years; two bikes; all parts purchased online. Two wheelsets home built. I like the bikes; I do not think the wheel size is a questionable fad. If my LBS says it is (two have already and won't sell them) then the result is simple and obvious. I won't use either LBS and will buy the next whole bike online, be it Turner, Rocky Mtn, Intense , Cube, or whatever.

"Too bad" for who? Not for me; I will save money buying online. For the LBS? Probably not; they lost one customer who wants a so far unpopular product. BFD. They don't need or want a consumer like me. They don't need or want unsold product on their floor.

Then again, there is a Norco dealer 50 miles away from me which will have Killer B's on the floor thIs spring. I will likely make the drive and scope out the Norcos before pulling the trigger for online purchase.

If I end up buying from THAT LBS, then "good for them" not "too bad." They stocked what their supplier wanted them to carry, risky or not, and some consumer drove 50 miles to close a purchase because his local shops were playing it safe, or lacked imagination, or were just plain know-it-all old school ***** who didn't give a crap.
    Last edited by dwt; 02-10-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2