nimble biker

what are advantages of 27.5 bike compare to 26 inch ?

I am still an old school 26inch biker. Can someone explain it to me?

650b me
    A small improvement in roll-over and traction without losing the playfulness of 26" wheels. That's it, really, IMO. A small enhancement. Not worth ditching your 26" immediately, but worth considering for your next bike.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The wheels are larger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

About 1.2".
    Riding slowly since 1977.

nimble biker
    does the 27.5 have significant traction in mud?

mtbr member
    I own all 3 MTB wheel sizes, 29 and 275 both Intense Tracers size small and 2 26rs, both old school 9-10 year old Horst link Turners. My opinion is that the 29r wheels do have obvious superior rollover but at the cost of odd geometry comromises of long stays and steepish head angles compared with 26 and even 27" wheeled bikes. I feel like a 26 or 27.5 wheeled bike could be made to offer a more 29" wheeled bike ride with some longer chain stays, at least the stability part and the planted front wheel on steep climbs.
    As far as a comparison of my 2 Tracers I do feel an advantage with the 29r in rolling over small bumps, it comes at a price IMHO of making climbs of 95%+of my ability where momentom is allways being built and thus cannot be taken advantage of.
    The 275 head angle is 3 deg slacker, has slightly shorter stays resulting in a wheelbase less than 1/2 inch shorter than the T 29, meaning it has most of the wheelbase stability of the 29r with some extra stability of a more relaxed head angle and 1/2 inch extra travel. I also don't feel as though I'm sitting as high on the 275 of these 2 bikes I enjoy the 275 quite a bit more. Just one mans opinion.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    I own all 3 MTB wheel sizes, 29 and 275 both Intense Tracers size small and 2 26rs, both old school 9-10 year old Horst link Turners. My opinion is that the 29r wheels do have obvious superior rollover but at the cost of odd geometry comromises of long stays and steepish head angles compared with 26 and even 27" wheeled bikes. I feel like a 26 or 27.5 wheeled bike could be made to offer a more 29" wheeled bike ride with some longer chain stays, at least the stability part and the planted front wheel on steep climbs.
    As far as a comparison of my 2 Tracers I do feel an advantage with the 29r in rolling over small bumps, it comes at a price IMHO of making climbs of 95%+of my ability where momentom is allways being built and thus cannot be taken advantage of.
    The 275 head angle is 3 deg slacker, has slightly shorter stays resulting in a wheelbase less than 1/2 inch shorter than the T 29, meaning it has most of the wheelbase stability of the 29r with some extra stability of a more relaxed head angle and 1/2 inch extra travel. I also don't feel as though I'm sitting as high on the 275 of these 2 bikes I enjoy the 275 quite a bit more. Just one mans opinion.
    thanks for your comments. I find your opinion is the best one so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    A small improvement in roll-over and traction without losing the playfulness of 26" wheels. That's it, really, IMO. A small enhancement. Not worth ditching your 26" immediately, but worth considering for your next bike.
    That is exactly the right explanation. It's another one of those incremental improvements that makes today's bikes much more capable than those of ten or even five years ago.

It also allows you to design a larger-wheeled bike than a 26" without compromising geometry to fit your desired travel (or vice versa), as is a problem with the 29" wheels. There's a reason you haven't seen 6" 29ers until very recently.

Regarding traction in the mud, yeah, a little bit better than a 26" wheel. Your tire choice is going to have a much bigger impact though.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    This pretty much summs it up. The really good Thing of 650B-Bikes is that the Geometry and Suspension-Kinematics needs only slightly Changes from the 26-Bikes to adapt the bigger Wheel. At least we are talking about 12,5 mm in BB-Height, Chainstay-Lenght and Axle-Path. There is no Need to steepen the Headangles or other Geometry-Tweaks to make the bigger Wheels behave like a 26-Bike, which is the most important Task when designing 29er-Bikes.

I´m riding a V2 Banshee Spitfire, which offers both 26 and 650B via Dropouts, but already has a very low BB-Height. The only Difference is a 10 mm higher BB that can hardly be noticed when riding on Asphalt-Roads. In natural Terrain all this vanishes and comes down to the Advantages Golden Boy mentioned.
    If you feel right at home on 26er-Bikes, you will feel right at home on 650B-Bikes in a very short Time.

When it comes down to Traction, especially in muddy Conditions, yes - a 650B-wheeled Bike does a little better than 26, same for Cornering and Braking. Climbing does need slightly less Effort and overall a little more Comfort is given on a long Day in the Saddle.

But: Mostly important is the right Tire-Choice, which is non-650B-specific and does have the biggest Effect, regardless of Wheelsize.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The 'small improvement' makes the 26er feel largely inadequate.
    Maybe one could say that it is a polished more refined riding experience.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion