mtbr member

Wanting to Upgrade!

I have just began really riding a lot and I would like to upgrade to a 27.5 FS. I have narrowed down my choices to three bikes -
    1. Scott Genius 740
    2. Trek Remedy 7
    3. Santa Cruz Bantam

I have looked at the specs and seem to similar and i'm looking for some experience with any of these bikes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Really sort of different bikes. Scott has 150 travel, Remedy has 140 travel and the Bantam has 125 travel. All the suspensions are different styles of a single pivot type system. Remedy isn't even in shops yet and the Bantam literally just came out and I've yet to see any user reviews on it and only a few guys in this forum have one of the new Scott 650b bikes. For 2014 Scott went to a Fox rear shock which is a good thing. You might also look at the Norco Sight Killer B and the Giant Trance or even the Rocky Mountain Altitude bikes which also more or less fit into your category range.

What kind of riding and trails are you doing now and what do you want to do in the future? Do you really need a 150mm travel bike?

mtbr member
    Yeah, the question is 'what bike can you actually get right now?'

And what is the geometry? What do you like?

Ride 'em and decide.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    I live in central Illinois but my job allows me to ride in other locations. I really enjoy technical trails. I have read up and thought an Enduro bike would work good for what I'm doing but I am far from knowledgeable on this!! I would like to make this purchase something I could ride for quite some time. On the suspension I'm not sure what I need but I just noticed a'lot of the bike manufacturers were going to the longer suspension. I don't have any bike shops in my area that deal in Norco or Rocky Mountain. We have one LBS that has Giant but very little in MTB.

mtbr member
    We have a LBS that deals with Scott and seems to be pretty knowledgeable. We have another LBS that deals in Specialized but they have no 27.5 bikes. I have come to realize that since i'm only 5'5" tall I need to stay away from 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm looking to upgrade, and found a 27.5 Lynskey Titanium that has me all-consumed. I don't know anything about Lynskey. Can anyone comment on their experience with Lynskey and/or a Titanium bike? It's performance? Durability? Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi Eric,

I am in a similar situation - looking for a 27.5 FS trail bike (I think).

So far I have narrowed the choices to the Rocky Mountain Altitude, Norco Sight and either the Santa Cruz Heckler or Bantam. I have yet to work out whether I need/want 120 or 150mm of travel (my current bike is a 15 year old hard tail bought when it was new).

As most of these bikes are new (at least in the 27.5 size) it seems reviews are few and far between...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Plenty of reviews on the Rocky Altitude and Norco Sight (including the 26" Sight that won the UK's trail bike of the year not long ago). All your choices would be a huge upgrade from what you have now so see if you can demo a few to see what fits and a price that works for you. The Norco has 140mm travel BTW. Why not the Giant Trance in the mix. Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the heads up - I tracked down that article on the Norco. Now it's a waiting game until most of these bikes get in country to see them in person - 4-8 weeks to go from the dealer estimates...

mtbr member
    GeemanNZ,
    I talked to a guy this weekend at the trails that had the Giant Trance. I really liked that bike. After a long talk he convinced me if I could afford it to go with the Carbon frame due to my size and weight. I started looking at the carbon version of the Giant Trance Advanced SX 27.5 and the Trek Remedy 9.7 27.5. I need to look at them side by side and see the difference in components because there is alot of difference in price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Eric, my colleague at work rides a 26er Remedy 7 and thinks very highly of it. Someone else suggested the Trance - I will check it out.

I think my budget will keep me very much in the alloy selection, rather than carbon : )

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauxhall View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade, and found a 27.5 Lynskey Titanium that has me all-consumed. I don't know anything about Lynskey. Can anyone comment on their experience with Lynskey and/or a Titanium bike? It's performance? Durability? Thank you.
    I think Lynskey has kept improving over the years which is great to see from a company. Their first pro29 was flexy and they skimped on materials to make too light. Over the years they have made their frames very stiff and have changed designs to make stronger in important area like the headtube, seat tube, and rear drops. The rear has also been widened for larger tires.

I wanted to get a inexpensive Chinese carbon 650b but ended buying another lynskey problem is I bough too large a frame XL so now I need to sell (in the classifieds) to order a new correct sized L. They will give me a great deal on the mistake but I am now eyeing the FS however I am not sure I what the extra weight and maintenance of a fs bike

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    I've heard great things about the Scott's and the 2014 looks like the best sorted yet. The bantam works on a simpler single pivot and the remedy a little more advanced, for what it seems you are doing I think the Scott is the best choice and most versatile.