Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    wanted ztr 355 650b rim

    just like a lot of people, looking to buy a rim.

    timber1991@yahoo.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    371
    I'm pretty certain that I saw a reply by Kirk Pacenti on a thread the other day stating that there would be 355's available, and to call Stan's. Can't remember which thread it was, but you might just give them a call.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22
    just talked t

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22
    just talked to Peter at N. T. this morning. nothing available

  5. #5
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,589
    Why are folks so obsessed with Stan's? American Classics are about as light and are stiffer. I use to run Stan's now my 29er and my 650b are AC shod...

    http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...c-650B-XC-Disc
    Last edited by DaGoat; 01-27-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Why are folks so obsessed with Stan's? American Classics are about as light and are stiffer. I use to run Stan's now my 29er and my 650b are AC shod...

    http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...c-650B-XC-Disc
    OP is looking for a rim. AC is only available as a wheelset?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22
    have had AC wheels-great rims. have SUN equalizer 650b-are good. stans tubeless bst is hard to beat for ease/reliability for tubeless. need a match for my front 355 650b. trying 650b front and back this year.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by russqj
    just like a lot of people, looking to buy a rim.

    timber1991@yahoo.com
    Sent you an e-mail.
    B

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955

    Looking

    I'd be interested in one hoop as well if someone comes across them. I have one extra but would like a pair just in case.

  10. #10
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbike
    OP is looking for a rim. AC is only available as a wheelset?
    Yeah, and why not buy a wheelset? OK, they're expensive. Got it!

    But if you want something that works REALLY well, you buy an AC set for $600, rip it all apart and string it with a Lefty front hub and a DTSwiss 240 rear free wheel setup for 10mm RWS. It cost you another $200, so you sell the AC hubs for $75 a piece and you have a killer setup for $650...

    The thing I like about the AC rims is they are 3/8" deeper profile which means shorter spokes and a stiffer wheel.

    Believe me, I've been down this rabbit hole and yeah, I got it, expensive!
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  11. #11
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,547

    Ditto here

    I'd like to find one also to be able to use w/ Paul v brakes. Appreciate a pm if someones hoarding some surplus. I'd like to help them w/ their addiction.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    868
    I have a Stans 650b 355, new in box. Update, Sold.
    Last edited by buggymancan; 02-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22
    still looking for a rim.

    timber1991@yahoo.com

  14. #14
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,589

    The alternative...

    Here's the set of AC's I had done. Came out sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wanted ztr 355 650b rim-img_3834-web.jpg  

    wanted ztr 355 650b rim-img_3836-web.jpg  

    wanted ztr 355 650b rim-img_3838-web.jpg  

    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    I'd like to find one also to be able to use w/ Paul v brakes. Appreciate a pm if someones hoarding some surplus. I'd like to help them w/ their addiction.
    Same here. There is a real shortage of decent, dirt-worthy 650b rims that are v-brake compatible. There is the Velocity Synergy but only available in silver now. Would love to see something like the Sun Rhyno Lite in 650b. Or bring back the ZTR 355!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Those are nice looking wheels. Why doesn't AC just sell just the hoops? Kinda b.s. if you ask me.

  17. #17
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    Those are nice looking wheels. Why doesn't AC just sell just the hoops? Kinda b.s. if you ask me.
    I hear ya... I have never approached them about selling just a rim. Worth a shot I guess...

    I assume they figure they optimize their profits doing a wheelset. In these economic times I guess I can't fault them for optimizing profits.

    Again, the thing I like about the AC Rims is they are a taller profile, making the spokes shorter and the wheel stiffer. I particularly noticed this on the 29er rims. Not sure the 650b is quite as tall a profile as the 29er.

    My 2 cents.
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I hear ya... I have never approached them about selling just a rim. Worth a shot I guess...

    I assume they figure they optimize their profits doing a wheelset. In these economic times I guess I can't fault them for optimizing profits.

    Again, the thing I like about the AC Rims is they are a taller profile, making the spokes shorter and the wheel stiffer. I particularly noticed this on the 29er rims. Not sure the 650b is quite as tall a profile as the 29er.

    My 2 cents.
    My LBS checked into it a bit and they won't even sell a rim for a repair of their wheelsets let alone sell a single rim. You have to send the wheels back to AC.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: salimoneus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    My LBS checked into it a bit and they won't even sell a rim for a repair of their wheelsets let alone sell a single rim. You have to send the wheels back to AC.
    What a stupid business policy, I will avoid them in the future. Very greedy.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    What a stupid business policy, I will avoid them in the future. Very greedy.
    I agree. Maybe someone should send them this thread. They could probably sell a bunch of 650b rims. I'd consider them myself if I could get just rims.

    This is from their FAQ section;

    Why doesn’t American Classic sell individual rims?We are often asked this question. Our rims are lightweight and can be difficult to build. We handle all wheel rebuilds in-house because our experienced wheel builders maintain our quality standards. Sorry, we do not make exceptions to this rule.

    http://www.amclassic.com/en/faq.php

  21. #21
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    We are often asked this question. Our rims are lightweight and can be difficult to build. We handle all wheel rebuilds in-house because our experienced wheel builders maintain our quality standards. Sorry, we do not make exceptions to this rule.
    Wow, that is pretty lame... they are trying to convince me that they have the only "experienced" wheel builders in the world? I think Dan Swinton and a whole ton of other wheelsmiths out there would take exception to THAT!

    Dan's "rewired" a number of AC's for me and I have nothing but great rides out of them. Maybe AC needs to hire him!
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    371
    That is absurd.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reformed roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,427

    hmm.

    Those rims look an awful lot like Alex rims...

    They can be had for what? Less than $40.
    That would leave plenty of cash for a solvent to remove the glue from the stickers

  24. #24
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    Those rims look an awful lot like Alex rims...

    They can be had for what? Less than $40.
    That would leave plenty of cash for a solvent to remove the glue from the stickers
    Uhmmm is right... did a quick look see and the dimensions are the same 24w/19h... ERD is a little different 566 vs 563... Not sure they are the exact same rim, but they are a similar design. Not sure about the weight either, but is probably a great alternative.

    The Stans is a lower profile at 24w/17w which equates to 1/16 of inch longer spokes on the radius or 1/8" across the diameter. Not that much to be too concerned about I would think.

    For comparison the AC 29ers are 26w/23h... now you are talking 1/4" on the radius or a 1/2" shorter spokes across the diameter. I've definitely felt that 1/2" on my 29er.

    And the Velocity blunts? 28w/20h... taller and wider... but I think a wee bit heavier too.
    Last edited by DaGoat; 02-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  25. #25
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,547

    Try $28..........

    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    Those rims look an awful lot like Alex rims...

    They can be had for what? Less than $40.
    That would leave plenty of cash for a solvent to remove the glue from the stickers
    Having it built up now. Similar but a little taller profile, probably more compared to the AC. As for stickers, probably won't need much solvent as mine had some delam of the clear over sticker out of box. They are going to work fine.

    Just called back yesterday to order another hoop and was told they were out of stock. It appears I may have got the last. So for now I will be running mis-matched along with a WTB Laser up front. Waiting on a 2.1 Neo arriving Thursday.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •