mtbr member

Waltworks 650b drop bar conversion

Hey guys. I thought I share my latest bike build as others may be interested in a conversion simliar to this.

I ride a lot of rough double track that doesn't require a mtn bike and is too much for my 'cross bike, so what's a guy to do to fill a niche in the stable? Build it of course!

This bike was inspired from my experience at D2R2 this year. as my 'cross bike with 35mm tires just wouldn't allow me to ride full gas, no brakes - which is no fun at all.

The build is centered around my trusty custom steel Waltworks 26er frame (yes he has built some). Because the BB height was around 13 inches, and I was planning to add more height with the 650b wheels, I had Walt do a custom steel fork with shorter legs to bring the BB back down to a respectable 12.5 inches from the ground. By doing this, it increased the STA and HTA, but it was originally spec'ed pretty slack, so I had enough room to play pushing my saddle back and a slightly shorter stem (and the appropriate fork rake to balance things out).

Anyway, it rides amazing for it's intended purpose. Very stable at high speed and corners exceptionally well. It even does well in tight single track.

Waltworks 650b drop bar conversion-img_1290.jpg

Waltworks 650b drop bar conversion-img_1289.jpg

Waltworks 650b drop bar conversion-img_1308.jpg

I sweep myself
    Very cool!

I am in line for a 650b SS from Walt, I can't wait.

I have also been toying with doing a similar build for a bike path cruiser; using a first-year Schwinn (Yeti) Homegrown frame hanging around.

Again, nice ride!
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. I would love to have something like that. Around town, gravel roads, dirt roads, open singletrack, load it up and tour, etc. Love it!!

Dissolved member
    Wow a great looking bike. That fork is sick!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    Great looking bike. I would love to have something like that. Around town, gravel roads, dirt roads, open singletrack, load it up and tour, etc. Love it!!
    Yeah, it's a "category killer" for sure. Even though I have many bikes, this one is going to get a good chunk of my mileage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Yeah, it's a "category killer" for sure. Even though I have many bikes, this one is going to get a good chunk of my mileage.
    This is one of the few times in my life where I've only owned one bike. I only own a 150mm travel dual suspension bike. Not the best for jumping on for a cruise to the store or around town. A 650b drop bar would really be the ticket for me.

What's your position like on it? Is it long and low like a road bike? Or more mountain bike style in geometry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    This is one of the few times in my life where I've only owned one bike. I only own a 150mm travel dual suspension bike. Not the best for jumping on for a cruise to the store or around town. A 650b drop bar would really be the ticket for me.

What's your position like on it? Is it long and low like a road bike? Or more mountain bike style in geometry?
    The geometry and my position are almost identical to my cyclocross race bike, which is also similar to my road setup. Yes, low and long.

I'm in the midst of 'cross racing right now, so ill leave it like my cx bike. I can see raising and shortening the bars for more aggressive trail riding at some point though.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. bb7 road calipers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Sweet bike. bb7 road calipers?
    Yeah, bb7 road calipers. So far they are really nice - great stopping power and surprisingly good modulation. I'm using Yokozuna cables which I'm sure helps - they stretch very little.

I'm haven't used mechanical discs since the 90s - Hayes. These feel way better from what I remember.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice