mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Voodoo Wanga or Bokor to 650B - Who has done it?

Curious who has tried this either on a Wanga, Bokor, or a Bizango and curious what the results were. I have a Wanga that I would like to try a set of 650Bs on. What kind of shock were you running? What were the pros and cons?

Would love your experiences. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I had a Bizango with a 26" rigid fork. I found that made it a bit too nervous. A longer fork might have tamed things down some. The fork I used was 445mm/38m offset. If I would have thought about it more, I would have tossed on my 29er rigid Fargo fork (465mm/46mm offset) to see how that worked. But that frame is already gone...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a Wanga with the sliders, and running it SS. I have run a Velvet RL2 w/o the recommended spacer, and currently a WB Loop, both set at 100mm. Both forks were great on this bike. The BB is noticably (at least to me) higher, and the handling is adversely affected, but it is not terrible. I would not want to run a fork that is any longer than 100mm because of this.

I generally do not like sliders, and these ones are par for the course in my book. They work okay, but I do have to adjust and retighten them on occasion. Clearance is adequate for my RR 2.25's, but I cannot move the sliders all the way forward or the tire will rub. Since I am running SS, I never will have the tire that far forward anyway.

Overall, the pros outweigh the cons. It is definitely a fun bike to ride, but I really want a 650b specific frame. I would be willing to sell the frame. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I actually already have a Wanga but am running 26" wheels on it. I absolutely love the bike. Sorry to hear about your challenges with the sliders, never have had any issues with movement on mine. I have heard of others having that issue but mine have always been solid.

That is great insight into the bottom bracket height and I was kind of assuming that as this already has a pretty tall bottom bracket with 26". I was more thinking about picking up wheels and a fork to play around but before doing that wanted to hear a bit about others experiences. Thanks for the thoughts and keep them coming.

What would Tesco do?
    I've got a Bokor with sliders set up as a single speed and so far I'll just say I'm not a fan of sliders...so far anyway. I'm not sure who makes those particular sliders but after one good torque of the cranks uphill my wheel moves to the left (non-drive side) every time. They have those little set screws which are supposed to keep that from happening...and they don't. In fact I'm starting to get a pretty good sized impression on the slider from that screw. They also creak pretty bad. Minus all that the bike rides great. I have mine set up with an On One carbon 9er fork and it's been great. Just wish I could find a 650b compatible aluminum frame with rear facing horizontal dropouts & disc tabs.

bump and grind
    Voodoo Wanga - 650b with gobs of clearance for 2.35 neomotos or 2.2 Wolverines (taller than the neomotos). Absolutely problem free conversion. Ran with 100mm fox up front and I have no problems with the BB height. All in all, a great conversion.

nothing relevant to say
    I used a Bokor as aa conversion a few years back. Had it set up as a geared bike, 1x9, and as a a single speed...then even as an off-road fixed. I was byfar my favorite conversion. The frame is reasonably light weight and I never had a problem with the sliders. They had tensioning screws that never failed. If you plan on running a suspension fork go with a Bokor, if you want to run a rigid fork go with the steel frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very nice. Glad to hear all the thoughts here. I have the Wanga already and really only ride steel frames so I will be sticking with it and also currently running a suspension fork on it but that may go to a rigid fork at some point.

What are people running for shocks? Be curious which ones you all like with the 650B. For reference I currently am running a Marzocchi air/oil. It is buttery smooth and super quiet. The one thing I would not want is any fork that is noisy, really takes away from the tranquility of a ride in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for all the thoughts.

Anyone have some pics of one with 650bs on it? Also curious to see a picture with the position of the sliders running the 650s.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    I'm currently riding a converted Bokor and it turned out much better than I expected. I'm running a fox fork set to 120mm travel. I also tried a WB Fluid fork set at 100mm travel but it made the front end feel "low" to me so I ended up selling that fork. The bike is set up as a 1x9 now but I'm going back to an SS setup which I think suits this bike better. I've had zero issues with the sliders.

I wish I could find a Wanga in my size because I subscribe to the conspiracy theory that says steel is a better bike frame material than aluminum. Overall though I'd have to say that the Bokor gave me a ton of "bang for buck" especially since I decided to jump on the 650B bandwagon early but didn't want to invest in a high dollar custom frame.

Voodoo Wanga or Bokor to 650B - Who has done it?-photo-21-.jpg
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    here is my wanga (21") love the 650b set up,this thing fly's around my local trails.improved my lap times by about 5mins on a 2.4k loop! compared with my 9 speed santa cruz heckler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Voodoo Wanga or Bokor to 650B - Who has done it?-img_20131229_175705.jpg