mtbr member

Good job! Ventana El Bastardo 650B Demo with Nevegals

Ventana bikes was out with their demo fleet today and I rode the El Bastardo 650B and El Chucho 69r. Both bikes were great but I liked the El Bastardo. I didn't get enough ride time to really get to know the bikes but the El Bastardo felt light climbed great and rolled over rocks and holes almost like a 29" wheel IMO. While riding the 650b bike I noticed the tires were griping really well and rolling fast. I thought to myself that the Pacenti tires were great just like the reviews. When I got a closer look they were Kenda Nevegals on Stans ZTR rims. Maybe that's old news but I thought Pacenti was the only 650B tire manufactuer to date. The ride left me thinkingI the 650B wheels could be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Cool - where was this demo event?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Cool - where was this demo event?
    Cooks corner in So Cal. It was hosted by the Path bike shop in Tustin. They had about 30 Demo bikes and Ventana CEO Sherwood Gibson was there doing bike setup and answering questions.

nothing relevant to say
    did you like the Nevegals? You should take a look at my blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    did you like the Nevegals? You should take a look at my blog.
    The Nevegals felt fast and had good grip. It's hard to say what is bike and what is tire because of it being a demo ride. If anything I think the tires helped the bike out.

I rode the 69r that had Nevegals also but for some reason it felt slower on the long fire road climb. I even stopped to add more air because it felt like the rear tire was low and bogging me down. The air didn't help much. Lot's easier on the 650b bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sweetness.. I went crazy with tire experiements on 26ers in '07. My favorites were the WTB moto raptors out of the bunch, sick, all around MTB tire. Turns out it's also the tire of choice in Moab... Anyway, I felt like the Neo was like a tight, lighter, sportier moto raptor is my best description... But then with the characteristics of a 29er Did I mention I'm a happy camper?