mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Vee Rubber TT's vs Schwalbe HD's

Currently running HD's. Anybody got opinion on how the Vee Rubbers Trail Takers compare?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've tried the Trail Takers and Fluids on the front of my Bronson, I pretty much hated both. Both seemed overly round, the side knobs were too far out/too low - you could never get to them. There was no cornering bite.

I'm on a Hans Dampf now in the front and quite pleased, though I wish I could get HR2s front and back (everything is sold out but the 2-ply wire versions).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    The Michelin wild gripr's are out now too, if the hr2 is out of stock

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I've tried the Trail Takers and Fluids on the front of my Bronson, I pretty much hated both. Both seemed overly round, the side knobs were too far out/too low - you could never get to them. There was no cornering bite.

I'm on a Hans Dampf now in the front and quite pleased, though I wish I could get HR2s front and back (everything is sold out but the 2-ply wire versions).
    Thanks, Noah. I'll look elsewhere, maybe HR2's or DHR2's? I also have read good reports about the Chunkey Monkey's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    The Michelin wild gripr's are out now too, if the hr2 is out of stock
    I forgot about Michelin, the WG 2's sound interesting. Is there a 650b version?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just answered my own question, looks like there is a 650b size in the reinforced version. Should I try it?

www.derbyrims.com
    I agree the Trail Taker is too round. I found Neo-moto's had more traction except when leaned far more than is common when riding most trails. The TT might work well on fat-bike wide rims, 60mm wide. I have read some very good reviews by others, so maybe it is just my personal problem with my mixed hard pack, rooty, rocky trail conditions.

I haven't tried the Hans Dampf yet. All I see are great reviews of this tire.

SPAM: I have 2 Trail takers, one new-unused, one with a single 20 mile ride on the front wheel. I'll ship both within the USA for $40. PM if interested.

mtbr member

tt pics look a bit funny.. did something go wrong with the mold?

Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Just answered my own question, looks like there is a 650b size in the reinforced version. Should I try it?
    Yeah, I saw two versions for each size available too.. and more on the Michelin UK site

~~~~~~~~
    Maxxis still has the 965g HRII single ply tire in stock. For me they are a huge improvement over HD downhilling and cornering, which is most important to me. I have no desire now to experiment with other tires.

MTBR Contributing Editor

Noah,

The side knobs on the TT can sometimes be a bit tricky to initiate for cornering and deep turning, and you have to press the inside edge of the handlebar with some finesse to get them to work properly, otherwise they can washout on occasion. Once you get the hang of playing with the tires in this manner, you can roll the suckers to your heart's content, and really toss them over. Flying down flowy trails is a hoot, and grabbing some air, and rolling in and out of berms is a joy.

I haven't tried the Fluids, so can't comment.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    You try one out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You try one out?
    Not yet, now thinking HR2.

mtbr member
    Im thinking the same..

Seen the 2.35 HD, 2.35 Grip'r advanced (non reinforced) and 2.4 HR2 and all seem similarly undersized at about 2.25".. That reinforced 2.35 grip'r is the one I haven't seen yet, might have a bigger size like the 26" reinforced

Dissolved member
    Im thinking the same..

Seen the 2.35 HD, 2.35 Grip'r advanced (non reinforced) and 2.4 HR2 and all seem similarly undersized at about 2.25".. That reinforced 2.35 grip'r is the one I haven't seen yet, might have a bigger size like the 26" reinforced
    Weird. My 2.25 Grip'r Advanced is oversized, actual width of the casing is more than 2.3". Its large volume has been a disappointment for me since I cannot get it fit comfortably in the rear triangle of a Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    Maybe the advanced sizes are mislabeled ?? On DL31, widest spot on that advanced gripr 2.35" measured 2.28 to the knobs, i remember the casing was smaller too, something like 2.2
    Last edited by Deerhill; 06-06-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: more info

Dissolved member
    Maybe the advanced sizes are mislabeled ?? On DL31, widest spot on that advanced gripr 2.35" measured 2.28 to the knobs, i remember the casing was smaller too, something like 2.2
    I do not think so. The weight of my 2.25 is in line with the data I saw on their website - 714g vs. 730g posted. The 2.35 posted weight was 850g IIRC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I do not think so. The weight of my 2.25 is in line with the data I saw on their website - 714g vs. 730g posted. The 2.35 posted weight was 850g IIRC.
    That weight sounds right.. those 2.25 must have totally different tread then. Guessing the 2.35 gets ~ 150g to the lugs (looked good btw), casing was pretty light