Oji
    Jun 2008

Vee Rubber Trail Taker experiences?

I'm running a Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3 in a 26" Fox 140 Float fork on the front of my Turner 5.Spot. This combination has been great for the past year including a week in Fruita and Moab as well as many trails in NC/VA. I'm going back out to Moab this spring and the Neo is getting worn down so I want to replace it before the trip. I'm completely happy with it and don't Jones for something different necessarily, but it's the only 650b tire I've ever tried so I'm open to experimentation. The Vee Rubber Trail Taker looks interesting to me, but I see from other posts that it is of larger diameter than the Neo and I wonder whether it will fit in a Fox 26" fork without rubbing against the arch and crown? The Neo barely did when brand new, but not enough to be of concern even with full compression of the fork. I'd be grateful for any direct information about this from folks who might have tried it.

General opinions of the Trail Taker tire by direct experience also solicited.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    g3rG did post some pictures and commented on the tires (seems to really like them)

Gram light bikes, is about to come out with a full review...

If your clearance is of concern consider the Nobby Nic 2.35 with performance casing...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by My650b.com View Post
    g3rG did post some pictures and commented on the tires (seems to really like them)

Gram light bikes, is about to come out with a full review...

If your clearance is of concern consider the Nobby Nic 2.35 with performance casing...
    The new NN 2.35" is about as tall as they come right now. It will clear the arch of a std Fox fork by about 2-3mm (tested on a Float 140) but will hit the crown at bottom out. I could still roll the bike if I gave it a good push but an internal 5mm spacer would be recommended (or a zip tie for the very crude method). The Trail Taker is lower profile and might clear the crown or just slightly rub? Frankly, I've never gotten full travel out of my Fox air forks without running stupid low pressure. Perhaps the newer ones are better?

Might want to have a look at the Schwalbe Hans Damp 2.35" also. Not as tall as the NN for some reason and seems like a great front tire choice in the sticky version.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Old-newbie
    I have been riding them front and rear on my Mojo HD for a couple of weeks. They grip like crazy, especially in the turns. If you push the bike way over in the turns you will really appreciate those side knobs. They have absorbed an amazing amount of abuse. I have done things that should have torn the sidewall, with no visible damage. I attribute much of that to the knobs protecting the sidewalls.

They will break away in the turns if you push hard enough. They hook back up smoothly, without the sort of grabbiness that can put you over the high side.

These are rather large, with a diameter of 27.85 and a width of 2.5 at the side knobs. Clearance is scant on the back of the Mojo (I posted photos over on the Widest tire thread). I also have one on the front of a bike with a Lyrik fork, and that is tight as well. It clears the Dorado just fine

The only down side that I have seen is that they are wearing quickly. However it is too early to get any idea of lifespan. They also have quite a bit of tread-walk or runout when I spin the tire. No worse than I have seen in other tires. I suspect that they are packaging them up before they are cool enough. That is what it looks like, anyway.

So far I am very pleased. I would not have believed that a tire this light would hold up in the rocks so well.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    The new NN 2.35" is about as tall as they come right now.
    Are you sure that's the case with the 2.35" Performance casing?

I'm also interested in a wider front tire... can anyone take a picture of the clearance for the Vee Trail Taker on a Fox 150mm fork?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Are you sure that's the case with the 2.35" Performance casing?
    Not sure about that. I've got the Snakeskin with the Pace Star compound.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Oji
    Jun 2008

Good job! Thanks

Good info. Just ordered a VTT.

mtbr member
    may i ask where you ordered from?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Oji
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    may i ask where you ordered from?
    My650b.com

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a rear tire on my 29er, for wet rock/root terrain here in Seattle area.
    Any opinion on this tire (Trail Taker) for these conditions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Does anyone have a picture of the Vee Trail Taker on a 26" Fox 32 150mm fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG
    So far I am very pleased. I would not have believed that a tire this light would hold up in the rocks so well.

gerG
    I cannot find a weight for these tires anywhere...

Fred

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I cannot find a weight for these tires anywhere...

Fred
    Hi Fred.

I weighed the first one that I got at 735 grams. I am used to tires in the >1000g range, so this one seemed extremely light and frail. Not so, apparently.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

Old-newbie
    I have been running a VTT on the back of my recent Uzzi build (the 650 boozie) mounted on a DL31 rim. Seems to be a great combo so far. The front has a Bonty FR3 (29") tire, and they work together extremely well.

gerG

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just pulled the trigger on one for the front wheel of my Blur LT (from my650b.com). I'll report back once I get a few rides on it... I think the width and traction will be a welcome change over the WTB Wolverine I have on it now.

www.derbyrims.com