mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Vee Rubber Speed-R or Mission?

Has anyone used either of these tires for a rear tire? It looks like both would provide good traction and fairly fast rolling speed, and I want to combine it with a Nobby Nic 2.35" up front. If it matters for comparison's sake, I ride mainly in Colorado on hardpacked trails with varying amount of rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ran the Mission for a little while. It is a relatively tall and narrow tire, at least the 2.1 is. It was just over 2.0, yet as tall as another 2.2 tire (Ralph) I had.
    It sealed up immediately with Stans. On my first ride, the tire developed a small tear that would not seal. I chalked it up to bad luck. I patched the tire and continued to ride for about 75 miles. The traction was OK, braking poor and speed fast. About 80 miles in, the tire developed another, larger tear and I decided that I was done with this tire. The terrain was the same that I always ride. WTB Wolverines have stood up to many more miles, multiple Maxxis tires (non-650b) have stood up to many more mile.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OK, thanks Los. I ended up finding a good deal on the WTB Wolverine Race 2.2" for the rear tire, and since I've had the tire previously I went with it again. I think it'll be a solid combo with an Ardent EXO 2.25" in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Indeed. I have a new Ardent sitting in the garage right now. Once the Wolverine I have out back gives up the ghost, I'll replace it with the Wolverine that's on front and throw the Ardent up there. It should work out well.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got the speed r's now for about two weeks. Size 2.4. Give me a week or two more before posting..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So... so far the speed r's have been doing fine. have them on light bicycles chinese carbon wheels. AFTER my race yesterday, I was surprised when the front tire blew off the wheel as I was riding the bike back to my car. I was running them 35 psi, which everybody says is way to high, but I weight 215. I have previously run the tires as high as 45. Weird, but I am glad that it happened after the race. Other online reviews have been positive. I'll check the bead, rim, combo and see if it happens again.