Thread: UST 27.5 rims?

mtbr member

UST 27.5 rims?

Are there any UST 27.5 rims available? Had a nasty crash when a (non-tubeless) tire blew off the Stan's 355 rim on the front of my bike so I'm in the market for a more reliable combination...

mtbr member
    Mavic SLRs and Crossmax Enduros come to mind if you are looking for complete wheels.

mtbr member

Big Test Icycles

UST 27.5 rims?

Mavic just released the 821 in 26". I would bet the 650b version is not to far behind. True UST

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

UST 27.5 rims?

Sorry to hear about your crash. I've had great luck with WTB i23 rims in both 26 and 27.5 sizes. They have UST bead lock sidewalls but do need tape for tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Thanks, should've mentioned that I'm looking for something cross country-ish, under 500 grams/rim, around 25mm width, and something available as rim only so I can have the wheels built by my local shop. The WTB is one I'm considering. Might go with Pacenti's too-I've had good luck with the TL-28 rim running tubeless. I will definitely be running only tubeless/UST ready tires on tubeless setups from now on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've had a set of the Pacenti TL28 as well. They were also a good set of rims, and lighter than the i23s, but they dinged/dented much easier. The WTB i23s have lasted longer.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor and look at the Sun Inferno. I think they have 25mm and 27mm rims. I'm running the Inferno 27 and love them. Stainless eyelet, which is crucial for me. The WTB 650 rim I ran (narrow) was crap.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Derby if you can swing $270 a rim... excellent tubeless capability, smooth and stiff carbon feel, XC weight (mine came in at 431 grams), and MONDO width will give you all mountain style volume and grip even on lighter skinnier tires.

I think wide rims are the next big fandango that's on the horizon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Another vote for the Derby if you can swing $270 a rim...
    Heh, I'm hoping to get the whole wheels for under $270 each.

mtbr member
    Word.... I shouldn't have bought mine either...convinced the wife it would make a great birthday present for me...she said "Sure, just go ahead and order it."
    Now this weeks she's like "When are you going to put $300 in the account to cover your bike parts1?!?!"

Wrench
    Just out of curiosity, which tires and what pressure were you running? What kind of corner were you taking, or did your front end land funky on a turn-drop?
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Are there any UST 27.5 rims available? Had a nasty crash when a (non-tubeless) tire blew off the Stan's 355 rim on the front of my bike so I'm in the market for a more reliable combination...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Derby's are nice, wide, yes expensive, but not UST. I believe the only true UST rims are Mavic's IIRC. But I could be wrong. Someone could chime in. I thought they had the patent/rights to be the only UST rim.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which tires and what pressure were you running? What kind of corner were you taking, or did your front end land funky on a turn-drop?
    I was running around 25psi, WTB Wolverine Race tire (non-tubeless) Stan's 355 rim. Popped off a little root or something on a short downhill, nothing I haven't done with this combo dozens of times. But this time, POW! WAM!! My buddy thought someone shot me.

mtbr member
    I think they license the design to other rim builders, or others have similar (no spoke holes) designs.

Thinking I'll either go with Pacenti TL-28's or the new WTB KOM's. They're comparable in weight and width. Probably just go with whichever my wheel guy can get the better deal on. (or get at all!)

Open to any other suggestions if someone has one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Do yourself a favor and look at the Sun Inferno. I think they have 25mm and 27mm rims. I'm running the Inferno 27 and love them. Stainless eyelet, which is crucial for me.

mk
    I don't think those are tubeless ready, much less UST, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Shimano's new XT's are UST. I am a big fan of UST over the other type's of tubeless designs.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JQualey View Post
    Shimano's new XT's are UST. I am a big fan of UST over the other type's of tubeless designs.
    Shimano makes a 650B rim? Do tell.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Shimano Announces new 650B/27.5? Wheelsets for 2014 | Mountain Bike Review

I talked to a shimano tech rep at an Enduro race a few weeks ago and he said they might be in stock now. Not much info on the web about them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Big ust fan here, I struggled with the stans/ regular bead issue for a long time before realizing the ust is the way to go. I think the wtb rims are the best bet for you.

Nor­wegr
    Aren't Enve rims UST?

LCW
    mtbr member
    I run Easton Haven UST rims in 26"... Would be great to see them release some 650B rims... I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I'm a big fan of UST. I've done the stan's route and I got fed up with sealant and hoping things seal up, always adding sealant... residue and dried sealant when swapping tires... so running Maxxis UST tires... Would really like if there ever ends up being some UST offerings in 650B...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Aluminum Havens are on their way. Carbons are tbd but I would buy a set in a second. Love my 26 Haven Carbons. True UST too.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    American Classic 101

101 RIMS|26 / 650B / 29

"The rims use our proven bead barb technology to hook on the tire bead to help keep the tire in place without burping."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got two big guys running 650B and 29er wheelsets built with Pacenti TL28s. One has even bent his Alum Nashbar frame, and I've yet to see and dents or dings in their rims. But they just do normal trail riding. No drops or anything. Don't get me wrong they ride hard. We just don't have anything with big roots and rocks in the area.

Both are running tubeless with no issues.