Just a flesh wound

Unexpected Result

I recently taco'd my rear wheel on my Prophet. It is a light, Blunt SL with a 28 spoke build, but I have about 1,000 miles on it, so no complaints. In order to ride I had to put my old 26" wheel on the back. It has a 2.35 Nevegal so it is noticeably slower at times, but I totally love the slack head angle. My 650b rear with the 2.3 Neo-Moto is fixed, but I almost want to keep the 26 on the rear. It descends really well and the climbing is still good. I am now thinking that I should shim my shock to ride in the FR setting. I had never tried the FR setting, but it really changes the way the bike steers.

Anyone with a similar experience?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Just a flesh wound
    Picking up the repaired 650b rear today. Can't wait to see how it feels compared to the
    b 6'er set up.

Dissolved member
    I was forced to ride a Nickel with a 26" rear wheel for a few days when I destroyed a 650b wheel a year ago. I did not like the setup much mostly because the 26 wheel and tire were nowhere as nice as the 650b ones. Slack bikes are fun though. The HD I ride now has a slightly less than 66deg HA (angleset, Vengeance with 650b friendly axle-to-crown length) and it climbs just fine. Descents are a blast on that thing indeed. I say go for the FR setup!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Works Components 1.5 degree angle set (I'm sure they could do something with the lefty you have) and keep the bike in the XC setting. No shock shimming and still use the 650b wheel.

Just a flesh wound
    This is getting interesting! I will try the shim first, see how much travel I lose. The slack head tube angle makes the Prophet shine. I can't believe I never tried it before!

mtbr member
    Hey Chris, my Jamis is 130 travel front and rear, but my fork is convertible to 150 mm. I recently set it up that way just to see how it rides and it was a lot of fun. Some can be chalked up to extra travel, but I think the added slackness and little extra BB height was part of it too. I won't be switching it back any time soon.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Just a flesh wound
    I will post up after I get the FR setting to work with the 650b set up. Jay, did I read that your bike is cracked? StiHacka, thanks for the input. Look forward to riding with you again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

650b/26

hi there

I ride a klein palomino - it does not take a 650b in the back so I tried a reba 29 fork with a 29 wheel in the front for a while and it did not work - so I slapped a 650 instead- first at 80mm travel just to make sure,then increased it to 100mm and never looked back - love the slacker angle and bigger wheel up front and love the monolink in the back. Cannot say the size difference has been an issue...it has a slight tendency to wheel flop at very low speeds but after 500+miles on this setup I've had no problems ....it's a work in progress though I need a smaller fork to increase the travel to 120mm...if you have any thoughts, let me know...the new 27.5 crop that I see are tapered and of no use to me ...so I'm looking for a 650 compatible 26.

Having said that every frame is different and I have no saying in any prophet setup...I'd say ride it, push it - slowly in the beginning and harder if it feels solid - if it hols up don't let anybody tell you any different ( I had a LBS refuse to put the fork on due to the change in frame geometry)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I recently taco'd my rear wheel on my Prophet. It is a light, Blunt SL with a 28 spoke build, but I have about 1,000 miles on it, so no complaints. In order to ride I had to put my old 26" wheel on the back. It has a 2.35 Nevegal so it is noticeably slower at times, but I totally love the slack head angle. My 650b rear with the 2.3 Neo-Moto is fixed, but I almost want to keep the 26 on the rear. It descends really well and the climbing is still good. I am now thinking that I should shim my shock to ride in the FR setting. I had never tried the FR setting, but it really changes the way the bike steers.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Just a flesh wound
    I have now switched back to the 650b on the back in XC (69.5 degree) with the 2.3 Neo-Moto. This is an experiment in process. The 650b is faster, especially compared to the 2.35 Nevegal Tubeless on a heavier 26" wheel. 27.5 miles or so into this experiment, I broke a spoke. That's what I get for using the old spokes from the original rim crumple. The 26" is back on and I will ride it tomorrow night. In the interim, I did put the bike in FR mode (67.5 degrees) with the 650b on the back and rode it on the street for the feel. It is more slack the 650b / 26" combo. If I can shim a shock to prevent seat tube contact, then I will try this mode, but I have grown very fond of the BB clearance I have as a 650b in XC mode.

I will post up impressions, and I have been recording my rides for comparison, so I will offer up the speed differential for all of these settings, though that will be a fairly small group of data and not representative of too much other than how I feel that particular ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I have now switched back to the 650b on the back in XC (69.5 degree) with the 2.3 Neo-Moto. This is an experiment in process. The 650b is faster, especially compared to the 2.35 Nevegal Tubeless on a heavier 26" wheel. 27.5 miles or so into this experiment, I broke a spoke. That's what I get for using the old spokes from the original rim crumple. The 26" is back on and I will ride it tomorrow night. In the interim, I did put the bike in FR mode (67.5 degrees) with the 650b on the back and rode it on the street for the feel. It is more slack the 650b / 26" combo. If I can shim a shock to prevent seat tube contact, then I will try this mode, but I have grown very fond of the BB clearance I have as a 650b in XC mode.

I will post up impressions, and I have been recording my rides for comparison, so I will offer up the speed differential for all of these settings, though that will be a fairly small group of data and not representative of too much other than how I feel that particular ride.
    Should have had Dave lace the new rim with his favorite Sapim Force triple butted spokes. I did try my Prophet in the FR setting when it had 26" wheels and I didn't like it. Lots of pedal strikes and the steering sucked for me. My shock could have been to soft but I didn't leave it in the setting long enough to find out. The pedal strike were enough to keep me in the XC setting. Now with 650b the BB goes up at least a 1/2" so that might have been ok (should be around 13.75 in the FR setting with 650b I think) but I never did try it again and the bike is now for sale (with 26" wheels). Worst case and more $$ you keep the bike in the XC setting and use that Works Components 1 or 1.5 degree angle set head set. Head angle you want and BB height also.

Just a flesh wound
    Dave did lace them up with his favorite Sapim Force triple butted spokes. When I taco'd the rear, I must have damaged one enough that it failed after being re-laced. The FR setting does drop the bike a lot. The height with the 650b in FR would be about 1/4" lower than the 26" in XC, so pretty close to the original. But now I can go over things without any worries, so the it will be interesting to try all three set ups within a short time frame.