mtbr member

UK 650b Sworks Carbon Hardtail

Here are some pics of my recently converted Specialized carbon hardtail XC race bike.

Last year I raced on a Niner Scandium 29er but although I loved the way it rolled over the ground I became disullusioned with the lack of acceleration and felt I was always clawing my way back to the group, instead of getting over the bike and putting in a quick sprint to stay in touch.
    The end result was I went back to a 26" carbon hardtail. I immeadiatly noticed that it sprinted faster and felt quicker in tight singletrack but also felt the difference in rolling over roots and rough ground and missed the speed and security of the big wheels on the downhill sections, in short, I began to remember why I switched to a 29er in the first place.
    I began to look at the 650b option and after looking at the frame, which has good mud clearance and is designed for a 90mm fork, began to realise that it could work.
    After sourcing secondhand rims,tyres and building them up with some LX hubs from my parts bin I have a pair of 650b wheels to try at a reasonable cost. The plan is to try them over the winter, If I like the format I'll build up a new set of light race wheels for next seasons races.
    The fit of the rear wheel in the frame is near perfect with 10mm clearance at the sides and 15mm to the base of the of the seattube, it could have been made for 650b!
    I have a Psylo fork for the front but to my suprise the SID Race brace clears the Quai Moto tyres by 5mm. There is 80mm clearance to the crown so I am not sure it will be a good option long term. but the next race in the UK is a flat enduro so I am sure it will be OK.
    The SID is over a pound lighter than the Pslyo and has a lockout so, to me,the benefits are worth the small calculated risk and a test ride should confirm or deny any fears I may have

I believe that there is no such thing as the perfect format, wether its hardtail, rigid, or full suspension, 26", 650b or 29", all have their advantages & disadvantages, it comes down how those disadvantages impact your style of riding and what you are prepared to compromise on for your riding style and intended use.
    I will have to wait until next weekend for a shakedown test ride, the weather in the UK is wet at present so the Quasi Motos may not be the perfect choice baut at this stage that's all I have!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

That is one sweet looking ride!

Congrats, and keep us posted on your impressions of the bike / wheel size.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member

UK 650b Sworks carbon hardtail

here is a pic of the fork clearance.

mtbr member

UK 650b Sworks carbon hardtail

and the seatstays

nothing relevant to say
    WOW I'm impressed with the clearance! I checked some of Specialized lower level bikes, and found similar clearance! Nice to see its transcended into the high end ear too. Very Rad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what kind of bb height have you got there? what size frame is that and how tall are you??? i am a 29er guy as well, but have been looking at 650b as well (ibis mojo).

looks great!!!!

mtbr member

UK650b Sworks Carbon Hardtail

Frame is a 19", the BB height on 26" wheels was 290mm, with 650b its 310mm.
    I am 6'1" tall and the 29" bike really did feel right in terms of fit so I am hoping the 650b will help in that direction.

Eating Hot Pockets
    oh BLESS YOU for posting this!
    i was on the fence about buying one of these frames and trying it myself...

now that I know it'll work, my order can be placed for a Stumpy Expert carbon HT.

freaking SWEET.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I'm really surprised the SID clears. The quasi does not clear my 2005 Reba.

Thanks for posting the pics! Nice bike, and great build. I want one of those saddles.

banned
    Oct 2008
    It is really looks good. That much great comparatively to others. Folding bicycles often cost more than non-folding bicycles with the same performance-related features, because they have more parts, to allow folding and to lock the frame when unfolded. As a result it has more complicated design, which is more complex to manufacture; as well, there is a smaller market for this type of bike.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_waugh
    It is really looks good. That much great comparatively to others. Folding bicycles often cost more than non-folding bicycles with the same performance-related features, because they have more parts, to allow folding and to lock the frame when unfolded. As a result it has more complicated design, which is more complex to manufacture; as well, there is a smaller market for this type of bike.

uh... Yampy...my loose translation of the above post would be that i think he wishes your bike folded in half.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried in an aluminum Stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Aluminum Stump HT

I was looking at a stumpy HT tail. The Quasi looks like it will fit fine, lots of room. Not sure about the Neo.

mtbr member
    CHT, you said that you check lower end spec bikes and said they had similar clearance...care to elaborate on which models?

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_waugh
    this folding bike crap is b.s......

- It looks like the front tire clearance could be a major concern..I think that at speeds, or not, you could flex the heck out of the front wheel and make the tire rub with little effort...looks like a good fit on the frame though . props on the retrofit

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    CHT, you said that you check lower end spec bikes and said they had similar clearance...care to elaborate on which models?
    http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/2007/...it-part-2.html

"2008 Myka Sport, the ladies version of the Hardrock- FIT! Surprisingly a great FIT. Even the stock fork fit the 650B, a RST Capa T26 ML, fit with clearance less than the Fox, but did not rub, about 5mm."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    how does it ride?

mtbr member

650b s works

The bike rides really nicely, it is light & precise, no problems with geometry. It carves singletrack really well and feels fast. The carbon frame and 650b tyres combine to give probably the most comfortable ride of any bike I have ever owned. I had to change the SID to a Psylo fork due to clearance issues.
    I havn't had as much time on it as I would like as my job goes mad in the run up to Christmas with little time for riding and I've been laid low with illness the past few weeks. I am keen to get back on the bike and give a more detailed ride review once the early season races begin to kick in, hopefully over the next 8 weeks or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    very cool bike
    Sorry for my terrible english