Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Which tyres!!! Aaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi All,

I'm cracking up here. I am off on an epic trip and I need the right tyres for my Genius 730. The trails on the trip will be very dry and mostly rolling, with some rocky sections and slickrock. We will also be doing a lot of climbing, tarmac, fireroad and singletrack.

I need a largish light tyre with good rolling and good protection. Spec should be about 2.2, 600 grm. I have access to the following, but none hit the brief......

Any other ideas? I am in Europe, so preferably source locally.

X-King Protection 27.5, black chilli - 2.4 - Too big
    Mountain King Protection 27.5, 2.4 black chilli - Too big
    Maxxis Crossmark (27.5 x 2.10) - Too small
    Maxxis Ardent (27.5 x 2.25) - Too aggressive
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph (27.5 x 2.25) - Perfect size, too light!!
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic (27.5 x 2.35) - Too aggressive
    Kenda Nevegal (27.5 x 2.10 or 2.35) - Too small/big/heavy

Thanks

Joe

DILLIGAF
    Maybe the Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3? I am running the 2.1 version and am very happy with it. Not sure about sourcing in Europe.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks! Too aggressive and way too heavy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Joe,

looks like you are hard to please !

The Racing Ralph is a nice tyre if you are not pushing it traction wise but since it isnt available in DD or snakeskin steer away from it in the rocks.

You will be suprised how un agressive the Ardent is. My suggestion would be to run an Ardent out front and the crossmark out back if you want something quick or Ardent front and back if you are not racing.

The Nobby Nic isnt that agressive even though it looks it. Its weakness is its side knobs which, as a 2.35, one tends to fall off when its used as a rear tyre.

If you want a tyre that is fantastic fun, loads of grip, strong and controllable but you are not racing then try the Hans Dampf 2.25. Softer Trailstar out front and harder Pacestar out back. Rolls well and lifts the bike to another level.

If its too hard to pedal then perhaps trim the guy or grow some thighs of justice ! :-)

good luck with your selection.

DILLIGAF
    Rocket Ron seems to be right in the middle of your "too light" and "too aggressive" Schwalbe selections.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Professed.....

Yes, I am obsessed with tyres. The bike has 2.35 NNs already, great for the winter here, but v slow on he roads and fireroads.

The tyres are for a one off trip and will be going in the bin after. Dont care about racing as its a 730 and not that kind of bike anyway. All too aware of weight and fitness, I'm a bit slack these days, but going away with pros so need every advantage I can get.

Disagree on the Ardent and HD, knobs are massive! Crossmark again too small. I have used RRs many times for XC racing, and the 27.5 2.2 is the right size, but too light for where we are going.....if they had it with protection it would be great.

I leaning towards the MK 2.4, big, but fast and lightish. Pity I cant get the 2.2 :-(

Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rocket Ron has a tad more grip than the Racing Ralf in loose but its casing in 650B is standard EVO (as far as I know) and without Snakeskin or Double Defence is like riding a part time tyre in anything but buff conditions.

I tested a RR on the rear of my Liteville 301 650B in moderate conditions and slashed it within 6 rides. Pretty much tore the tread apart also.

Likewise with Nobby Nic when used on the rear dont expect more than 500Miles tops.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    RRon and RRalph would be perfect, but only in evo, too light though! Pity, schwalbe, get your act together, 27.5 is going to explode for trail bikes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I feel your pain !

Soon enough there will hopefully be more players with more sizes and levels of protection. I have some HD 2.25 on their way (been running a 2.35 and its my new all time favorite) so might be able to give better feedback later.

Till then and until Maxxis, Conti, Kenda or Panaracer expand their range there isnt all that much choice for lightish trail rubber... :-(

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90mccall View Post
    Thanks! Too aggressive and way too heavy!
    Neos aren't that heavy. They roll remarkably well and handle the New England singletrack extremely well. I have the 2.3's on my Prophet set up tubeless on Velocity Blunt SL rims. I am very pleased with them.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Geax Saguaros may be something to look at. A little heavier than your 600 gram target, but they roll really well and have very good volume for a 2.2.

Edit: Just realized they only make the Saguaro in 2.0 for the 27.5 version. Too bad as it's a great 29er tire in the 2.2 size.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Geax Saguaros only in 2.0....pity.

Think I'll get both X-King and RRalph, just to see how they look and feel....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh, I see Geax have a suitable tyres, Aka, 2.2 @ 590 grms.....hmmmm

products Geax.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Vee Rubber Trail Takers. Sack up and go wider on the front (unless they won't fit, of course!), and they have great traction and rolling resistance with solid protection. 2.4", about 725g, they're great tires.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks smmokan, I dont doubt its ability, but again, too aggressive and too heavy. Again, I have NNs and hey are too much!

anyone got a good online source for Gaex Aka 2.2?

Dissolved member
    Vee Rubber Mission 2.1 ?
    650B Tires - My650B.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    100g more is too heavy? What kind of trip are you going on?

Quit being a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone any experience of performance line?

Bike24 - Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance MTB Folding Tire 27,5" 57-584

Re: trip, its a biggy, 7 days, 6 hours per day, 4000 mtrs climbing per day....bike, tiny backpack, ferries and hotels/loges.....across gran canaria, tenerife, and la palma islands.

Yeah, I am fussy, but I friggin hate heavy tyres. Might have to go with the heavier tougher ones though, rough enough and try finding a 650b tyre on an island off the coast of africa!

74 & 29 pilot
    Maxxis Ardent (27.5 x 2.25) - Too aggressive
    WOW, REALLY? You really are a weenie!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I were obsessed w/ tires I don't think I'd have purchased a 650b...yet. I had a RR 2.25 and if a rock looked @ it long enough it would tear. I have settled on running Neo-moto's tubeless until more tires become available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm surprised nobody has thrown out the WTB Wolverine yet. 2.2", 640 grams seems like it could be a very good fit for you.

Universal Cycles -- WTB Wolverine Race 650b Tire

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not a weenie at all. But tyres are by far the most important thing on the bike. I have been on the 730 since last October, and its a heavy beast. But the tyres and wheels are one thing that I dont compromise. the NNs have been great for the mega wet winter we have had here, but they (and all like them) are PIGS on the road. the upcoming trip is a bit special, lots of road and fireroad climbing, and lots of mega descents......a tough combo to satisfy.

I just saw this, the cobra 2.25s at 590 grms look perfect. Been a long time since I have had hutchs on my bike!

Hutchinson’s 650B/27.5″ Tires Shipping, Downhill Tread Planned - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks smmokan, I dont doubt its ability, but again, too aggressive and too heavy. Again, I have NNs and hey are too much!

anyone got a good online source for Gaex Aka 2.2?
    Can't help on the sourcing, but I used the AKA as a 29er tire, and it is one of the few tires where I actually punched a hole between the knobs in the main tread of the tire. Might just have been a fluke, but the low profile knobs with a fairly generous spacing seems like it might be a little more prone to this than other tires.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Like the WTB, we were supported by them a few years ago, impossible to goop up. Are the new ones TLR?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Like the WTB, we were supported by them a few years ago, impossible to goop up. Are the new ones TLR?
    The 27.5" tire is not listed as TCS (which is their tubeless tire). But I've mounted the 26" Wolverine tubeless on an Arch rim with no problem (I think I used a compressor), and I just mounted an older 29 x 2.55 Weirwolf tubeless on an Arch rim with no problem too (again, using a compressor). I personally have had good experience with using the WTBs tubeless.

Was your problem getting the bead seated or getting the sidewalls to seal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast