mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Turner Flux vs SC Solo/5010 vs Giant Anthem Advanced 2

Live in SoCal and the area I usually ride has lots of climbing so I'm looking for a 27.5 that climbs great and will still be fun downhill.
    My max budget is right around $3500 and I would like to buy from one of the local shops.
    From what I've seen I'm down to the Turner Flux Trail edition, the SC Solo/5010 and the Giant Anthem Advanced 2. Luckily a couple shops have demo days happening this weekend so I should be able to take them all for extended rides.
    Should be an interesting comparison between the DW Link, VPP and Maestro, and I'll add an update at the end of the weekend!

mtbr member
    These are all good choices and I have ridden each of them. I thought the Solo/5010 felt the most fun/playful/responsive/substitute favorite cliche' here of the the three. The Anthem felt the most like an XC bike (least trail), and the Flux felt the most all-round/well rounded/one bike capable. All have good suspension designs and it depends a bit on preference but most people will say that the Turner dw-link is marginally superior to the other two in most situations.

Knowing Turner build quality, customer service, and reputation I think it would be the best buy if you can get it for $3500. I suspect that it will be closer to $4000 even with a mid-level kit. Even at $4K I wouldn't rule it out over the others at $3.5K.

mtbr member
    Turner currently running a holiday special on new completes. Call them and they'll spill the deets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Update

Had an eye opening day doing Turner and SC demos. To start with, because of health issues I haven't been doing much, if any, dirt riding for several years. So my form, to put it bluntly, leaves a lot to be desired!

Started with the Flux, it was XT with ENVE wheels so it was light and pedaled incredibly. There were a lot of fairly technical climbs, kind of steep, huge water troughs and lots of loose rocks and dirt. The Flux just motored up these amazingly. As long as you picked a good line I felt the only limitation would be the rider. Going down hill it actually felt a bit nervous and if anything, too light. Not bad, but not as planted as it was going uphill. Really liked it, but wasn't quite in love.

Next came the Burner. Wow, I liked the bike immediately. It had the strange sensation of tons of travel, but still pedaled like a lighter bike. Going uphill you could notice the little extra weight and it maybe wasn't quite as crisp as the Flux, but still incredible and if anything had even more traction. Going downhill was amazing, a couple of the areas that the Flux felt nervous on the Burner just bombed though like you were on pavement. I kept telling myself, 'lines, we don't need no stinking lines' as the bike just gobbled up everything in front of it. Hated bringing it back, just a fun, fun, fun bike!

Finally got to take a nice long ride on a SC Solo C. All XT and carbon frame, but no carbon wheels. The Solo has a really nice feel, and maybe I was getting a little tired by this time, but I didn't feel it pedaled quite as well as the Flux or Burner. It also seemed to 'hunt' a bit on climbs which neither of the Turners did. Not sure if this was from what I would consider a really short stem (I think 40mm?). I would also say that it didn't have quite the same traction in the loose stuff. Downhill it did feel a bit more stable than the Flux, but no where near in the same class as the Burner. And, if I'm being honest, a couple times I wished I was still on the Burner...

So I'm kind of tempted to sell the wife's car (JK!) and head on down to the local Turner dealer and lay down the money on the Burner! Before I do that I am going to take the Trance X1 for a spin. Based upon what I experienced today I think the Trance would actually be a better fit for me than the Anthem.

Oh, and as a disclaimer, this is just my opinion. I think there are very few bad bikes being built these days, the trick is finding what is going to work best for you.

Thanks!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by CraterMaker View Post
    Had an eye opening day doing Turner and SC demos. To start with, because of health issues I haven't been doing much, if any, dirt riding for several years. So my form, to put it bluntly, leaves a lot to be desired!

Started with the Flux, it was XT with ENVE wheels so it was light and pedaled incredibly. There were a lot of fairly technical climbs, kind of steep, huge water troughs and lots of loose rocks and dirt. The Flux just motored up these amazingly. As long as you picked a good line I felt the only limitation would be the rider. Going down hill it actually felt a bit nervous and if anything, too light. Not bad, but not as planted as it was going uphill. Really liked it, but wasn't quite in love.

Next came the Burner. Wow, I liked the bike immediately. It had the strange sensation of tons of travel, but still pedaled like a lighter bike. Going uphill you could notice the little extra weight and it maybe wasn't quite as crisp as the Flux, but still incredible and if anything had even more traction. Going downhill was amazing, a couple of the areas that the Flux felt nervous on the Burner just bombed though like you were on pavement. I kept telling myself, 'lines, we don't need no stinking lines' as the bike just gobbled up everything in front of it. Hated bringing it back, just a fun, fun, fun bike!

Finally got to take a nice long ride on a SC Solo C. All XT and carbon frame, but no carbon wheels. The Solo has a really nice feel, and maybe I was getting a little tired by this time, but I didn't feel it pedaled quite as well as the Flux or Burner. It also seemed to 'hunt' a bit on climbs which neither of the Turners did. Not sure if this was from what I would consider a really short stem (I think 40mm?). I would also say that it didn't have quite the same traction in the loose stuff. Downhill it did feel a bit more stable than the Flux, but no where near in the same class as the Burner. And, if I'm being honest, a couple times I wished I was still on the Burner...

So I'm kind of tempted to sell the wife's car (JK!) and head on down to the local Turner dealer and lay down the money on the Burner! Before I do that I am going to take the Trance X1 for a spin. Based upon what I experienced today I think the Trance would actually be a better fit for me than the Anthem.

Oh, and as a disclaimer, this is just my opinion. I think there are very few bad bikes being built these days, the trick is finding what is going to work best for you.

Thanks!
    take a look at my build thread for the flux in the turner forum. The 34 talas, with big tires and brakes makes this bike highly capable and fun.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    IHB, I saw your bike build thread and it looks great! I was thinking that one of the things that helped the Burner so much was the 34 fork. Since your Flux+ sounds like it would be closer to the Burner, why didn't you just buy a Burner?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Had my Burner 4 months now. Out on a long ride yesterday I finally figured out what is wrong with this bike: the only limitation is the rider!

I was a bit upset when Turner introduced the 275 Flux right after I bought the Burner, thinking local trails are more XC than all mountain. I haven't ridden the Flux, but over time I have less regrets. The rough sections make the ride, and the Burner handles them extremely well.

The bike is about 30# but as you noted it tracks very well up or down, and is particularly good on rocky or rutted trail. On another thread someone suggested that (for non-racers) weight isn't as important as having a bike that is fun and makes you want to ride often. I agree, and the Burner is so much fun that the Mrs is pissed about how much I'm gone (she doesn't ride).

Crazed Country Rebel

Turner Flux vs SC Solo/5010 vs Giant Anthem Advanced 2

Crater: I wanted an "all arounder" that could do long Xc rides and rough technical trails.

Mine weighs in around 29 pounds. You could easily get this down to 26 with lighter forks, tires and brakes.

Specialized sucks dong

It's about showing up.
    They all get lighter if you spend more money.

Interesting that you are targeting $3500 yet test ride a bike with $2000 worth of wheels on it. I makes reference points tough to nail down.

I just went through the bike buying process. I put geometry first, then found bikes that fit, then leaned on them. That done componentry, in terms of price point and package, made much more sense. I was able to find a bike, a model hardly in the States yet, at a low price point that made sense under me and bought the same style but at a much higher level; carbon frame instead of alloy. I knew that the specific suspension components were on a huge number of bikes, XT stuff is XT stuff, brought on some carbon bits and bought the bike sight unseen.

What I test road at 31 lbs is a gem at 25 with pedals. I am ecstatic about this bike and feel very pleased with my method. Pardon the gushing but I am full of endorphins from a quick carouse in the Canyon.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I hear you and if I had the chance to test a Burner with the trail kit, I would have. They have what they have and you ride what they have...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    CraterMaker,

I'm glad you started this thread, because I'll likely purchase one of the three bikes you're discussing over the next few months. I'm currently riding an older 2008 Flux, with a fairly stout build at 27 lbs and I ride in the Wasatch Mountains near Salt Lake City.

I was able to ride the 5010 Carbon, Flux and Burner (among many others) at Outerbike this year in Moab, UT. While I came away really liking the 5010C, it was hard to definitively rule in favor of any bike due to the very differing builds. Both Turners pedaled excellently, with traction that outperformed anything else I rode over the weekend. Both the Flux and the Burner were setup 2x10, full XT with ENVE hoops and some relatively weak rubber. The wheelsets alone were probably worth more than my beat-up '99 4Runner.

The Turners were a pleasure to spin on... seriously fast bikes that seemed to want to run quicker and quicker. However, I found myself wishing wanting a shorter stem, wider bars and stickier tires for the slabby, chunky terrain in Moab. Because of the build and wheel/tire combo, they felt a bit undergunned a skittish when things got hairy. Between the two, the longer chainstays on the Burner made it feel a bit sluggish in comparison to the Flux. This isn't a fault of the bike, I'm just used to a frame with 16.8" stays and probably don't need the capabilities of the Burner.

By contrast, the 5010C was setup with XO1 1x11 drivetrain, sticky High Roller II tires and a nice wide bar. At 27 lbs for an XL and setup pretty close to my preferences, the 5010C was a blast to ride, both up and down. It didn't climb and pedal as neutrally as either Turner, and it had a slight tendency to wallow in it's travel, but VPP2 is pretty darn good.

With that said, I'll probably build a Flux+ similar to Iheartbikes new Flux. The axle path, leverage curve and traction characteristics of DW frames are hard to beat. Add to that Turner build quality, support and dialed geometry ... everything thing else is up to the build and rider preference.

Glad you enjoyed the Burner. Best of luck in your decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    To further confuse the situation (lol) I was able to take a spin on a Trance 27.5 1 today. The bike felt great and pedaled nice, but I wasn't able to really take it off road. My impressions would be that it's not the bike the Burner is, but it would be a nice alternative and would be a less expensive option.

Which leads me to the question, for anyone that has ridden the Burner, Flux, Solo, etc; and has also tested the 27.5 Trance, what did you think?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    To further confuse the situation (lol) I was able to take a spin on a Trance 27.5 1 today. The bike felt great and pedaled nice, but I wasn't able to really take it off road. My impressions would be that it's not the bike the Burner is, but it would be a nice alternative and would be a less expensive option.

Which leads me to the question, for anyone that has ridden the Burner, Flux, Solo, etc; and has also tested the 27.5 Trance, what did you think?

Thanks!
    I'd take a look at the geometries and see if you can tie out differences to ride characteristics that you prefer.

As to the value proposition... Why buy a 3-series BMW when an Accord or Camry can do the same thing for less? It's hard to justify a boutique frame quantitatively...

The Turner is likely stiffer and made here in USA. However, the dollars and cents will never make the decision logical. Most guys buying frames from smaller companies (Turner, Ventana, Ibis, Yeti, Pivot, Etc) value the company and craftsmanship that the larger manufacturers don't provide. It also allows you to build the bike exactly to your liking, should you choose to do so.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ibis, Yeti, Pivot are not made in the USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks View Post
    Ibis, Yeti, Pivot are not made in the USA
    Yep, you're correct. Should have lumped several thoughts into a single sentence. Fixed now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NWfreeride View Post
    I'd take a look at the geometries and see if you can tie out differences to ride characteristics that you prefer.

As to the value proposition... Why buy a 3-series BMW when an Accord or Camry can do the same thing for less? It's hard to justify a boutique frame quantitatively...

The Turner is likely stiffer and made here in USA. However, the dollars and cents will never make the decision logical. Most guys buying frames from smaller companies (Turner, Ventana, Ibis, Yeti, Pivot, Etc) value the company and craftsmanship that you can't replicate with a bike welded and assembled in Taiwan. It also allows you to build the bike exactly to your liking, should you choose to do so.
    Turner has a pretty good deal going on right now on the Flux. Also, there really isn't much difference in components between boutique and name brand at the $3500+ price point. It's a mental illusion caused by the fact that the bigger brands have mountain bikes with lower starting points. It's why it doesn't make sense to buy a 50K Mustang 5.0 when you could buy a base Corvette, because, let's face it, even with a 5.0 the Mustang is still the same car as the V6.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Turner has a pretty good deal going on right now on the Flux. Also, there really isn't much difference in components between boutique and name brand at the $3500+ price point. It's a mental illusion caused by the fact that the bigger brands have mountain bikes with lower starting points. It's why it doesn't make sense to buy a 50K Mustang 5.0 when you could buy a base Corvette, because, let's face it, even with a 5.0 the Mustang is still the same car as the V6.
    I would test ride them all and buy the one you like best. The return on investment is not regretting your purchase.

Specialized sucks dong

It's about showing up.
    I hear you and if I had the chance to test a Burner with the trail kit, I would have. They have what they have and you ride what they have...
    True, true. The trick is to assess/isolate the things that will be meaningful.

Very exciting.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    The return on investment is not regretting your purchase.
    This is huge. The trick is deciding which factors put your feet, hands, and wheels where they want to be and what happens when you press down hard. Components are a wash as far as I am concerned. Tires, bars, drivetrain, wheels can be changed at date of purchase.

The frame is the heart of it all.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Turner has pretty much the same deal on the Burner that they do on the Flux right now. One of local Turner dealers is a great guy and he's trying to work out a very fair deal for me. Definitely my first choice but I like to have options, and before I make the final call I will setup an off road demo on a Trance.
    I'm big on doing the actual test rides before I buy, but they can be difficult to setup and that's why I was wondering if anyone else did a test between the Burner and Trance.

mtbr member
    I'm big on doing the actual test rides before I buy, but they can be difficult to setup and that's why I was wondering if anyone else did a test between the Burner and Trance.
    Yes, I've ridden the Burner and Trance as well and while the Trance was "ok" I'd take the Turner all day over the Giant..... especially if I could get a deal on the Turner that made the price prett close to the giant. The Burner feels stiffer, pedals just as efficiently, but feels more active and controlled while hitting rougher terrain. Overall it just felt more capable without feeling any less snappy/efficient etc. I imagine some of this was set up and with the right parts mix you can get the Trance feeling feeling similar (Trance SX for instance), but much of it is in frame stiffness and build quality.

Disclaimer: I like boutique brands and having something that's going to last a long time and stand up to a bunch of hard riding. I don't know that the giant won't, but I know the Turner will. I also like dealing with small companies and owner/ceo's like Dave Turner and Noel Buckley that you can talk to and that have a true passion for the sport and making high quality bikes.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by NWfreeride View Post
    CraterMaker,

I'm glad you started this thread, because I'll likely purchase one of the three bikes you're discussing over the next few months. I'm currently riding an older 2008 Flux, with a fairly stout build at 27 lbs and I ride in the Wasatch Mountains near Salt Lake City.

I was able to ride the 5010 Carbon, Flux and Burner (among many others) at Outerbike this year in Moab, UT. While I came away really liking the 5010C, it was hard to definitively rule in favor of any bike due to the very differing builds. Both Turners pedaled excellently, with traction that outperformed anything else I rode over the weekend. Both the Flux and the Burner were setup 2x10, full XT with ENVE hoops and some relatively weak rubber. The wheelsets alone were probably worth more than my beat-up '99 4Runner.

The Turners were a pleasure to spin on... seriously fast bikes that seemed to want to run quicker and quicker. However, I found myself wishing wanting a shorter stem, wider bars and stickier tires for the slabby, chunky terrain in Moab. Because of the build and wheel/tire combo, they felt a bit undergunned a skittish when things got hairy. Between the two, the longer chainstays on the Burner made it feel a bit sluggish in comparison to the Flux. This isn't a fault of the bike, I'm just used to a frame with 16.8" stays and probably don't need the capabilities of the Burner.

By contrast, the 5010C was setup with XO1 1x11 drivetrain, sticky High Roller II tires and a nice wide bar. At 27 lbs for an XL and setup pretty close to my preferences, the 5010C was a blast to ride, both up and down. It didn't climb and pedal as neutrally as either Turner, and it had a slight tendency to wallow in it's travel, but VPP2 is pretty darn good.

With that said, I'll probably build a Flux+ similar to Iheartbikes new Flux. The axle path, leverage curve and traction characteristics of DW frames are hard to beat. Add to that Turner build quality, support and dialed geometry ... everything thing else is up to the build and rider preference.

Glad you enjoyed the Burner. Best of luck in your decision.
    3rd ride on the "Flux Plus" today. This bike seriously rips.

140mm on the steep downs and 120mm everywhere else. It's so confidence inspiring.

I was look at geometries today. Santa cruz runs a 13.6" BB on the Bronson and a 13.2 on the Solo. The flux is 12.8. that's significant.

The bike climbs perfectly - with the CTD shock in downhill mode. And still sucks up rocks and such.

Specialized sucks dong

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    I test rode the flux last week and its all ive thought about since i left the shop! I Would prob get the xt build with the dt350 hubs.

The shop i buy from also sells ginat and rocky mountain.
    i only ride for fun.