mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Turner Burner - ride report

I recently purchased a Turner Burner and I was able to get a few rides in over the weekend. Details on build are over on the Turner Forum under the Burner Build thread. I thought I would share in the 650b forum as well.

I have owned a DW 5 Spot and I also have a 2012 Turner Sultan. Both the Sultan and 5 Spot are great bikes - I have ridden a lot of mountain bikes over the last several years and I always have a Turner as one of my rides. Over the last year I have mostly been riding my Sultan.

I have been able to take the Burner out for a couple of rides. The trails I ride are a good mix - rocky, tight turns, long gradual climbs/descents, short steep climbs/descents.

Some initial thoughts . . .
    I was really impressed with how well this bike maneuvered on the trail compared to the Sultan. The Burner definitely has a more playful feel to it compared to the Sultan.

In the corners, the Burner tracked just as good if not better than the Sultan. I was able to maintain speed in corners without the wheels losing traction.

In the rock gardens, the bike held its line really good and the DW suspension worked well to soak up the bumps. Perhaps the Sultan is a little more effective in the rock gardens but not much.

The Burner accelerated really well as would be expected compared to the Sultan.

The Burner, similar to the Spot and Sultan, climbed incredibly well particularly on technical climbs.

On the descents, the Burner was stable and solid - Similar to the Sultan it was easy to control and manage on the descents

I did not have to adjust my riding style going from the 29 Sultan to the 27.5 Sultan.

I felt more in the cockpit and lower to the ground on the Burner compared to the Sultan.

Overall, the Burner exceeded expectations. Like many have said the Burner does a nice job of combining the advantages of a 26er and a 29er. If you are in the market for a new trail bike, I would recommend the Burner be given serious consideration.

mtbr member
    Thanks JTBAZ. What about sizing and cockpit differences between the Sultan/Burner? What are your specs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Thanks JTBAZ. What about sizing and cockpit differences between the Sultan/Burner? What are your specs?
    My height is 6'

Sultan:
    Large Sultan with a 90mm stem

Burner:
    Large Burner with a 70mm stem.

The Burner cockpit felt similar to Sultan cockpit. I did feel that I was closer to the ground on the Burner as compared to the Sultan. Both cockpits are very comfortable and they both had a nice balanced feel to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep I agree with JTBAZ, its very noticeable how much closer to the ground you feel and feels more stable. I'm on a blur trc 650b coming from a new epic

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Turner Burner - ride report

Killer bike dude. Are you running those Nobby Nics with tubes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am running the Nobby Nic's tubeless