mtbr member

Turner Burner or Intense Carbine 275?

In the market for a new trail bike. I'm going 650b. Looks like my two options at this point are the bikes above. Neither bike seems perfect. The Turner is heavy and the Carbine isn't a dedicated 650b bike...aka i've read that i can't run a 180mm rotor on the back. the bike must have the capability to run a water bottle cage in the front triangle. Ideally, i'd just get the RM Altitude, but that's not an option for me. And the Norco seems really expensive...stupid Canadian dollar. Thoughts? thx

~~~~~~~~
    Have you seen an accurate frame only weight for the carbine? The built bike weights are pretty close to the burner. Noticed a review saying the carbine was slightly flexy, product of reduced weight? Also the head tube is tall on the carbine, more of an issue for smaller riders looking for low aggresive front end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think the Turner is too heavy for a trail bike. My medium is 28-29 pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I recall that the frame weight difference was about one pound (carbine lighter, obviously).

At any rate, I assume you saw the multi-page thread here recently re: high end 650b frames for 2013. Bottom line for me is that with all the rumors of announcements at Sea Otter, it's a good idea to wait a few weeks to see what more options emerge.

FWIW, my backup plan in April will be to order the Burner probably, and replace it with a carbon fiber frame (perhaps from Turner, if that pans out, or Ibis, since it's just a matter of time before they have a mojo HD true 650b frame) down the road.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

dwt
    mtbr member

I think the Carbine has slightly more travel, but they are close.

Prices are also very close

Some folks prefer VPP, others DW link

Carbon & VPP or alloy & DW ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 03-04-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    In the market for a new trail bike. I'm going 650b. Looks like my two options at this point are the bikes above. Neither bike seems perfect. The Turner is heavy and the Carbine isn't a dedicated 650b bike...aka i've read that i can't run a 180mm rotor on the back. the bike must have the capability to run a water bottle cage in the front triangle. Ideally, i'd just get the RM Altitude, but that's not an option for me. And the Norco seems really expensive...stupid Canadian dollar. Thoughts? thx
    Damn, I weighed my large frame when I got it back in Sept, but it escapes me what it was. It was over a pound lighter than my Firebird frame and I wanna say 6-6.5 lbs. My complete 26" build with a Fox 36 and 2.2-2.4 specialized grid casing tires on Carbon Havens was just shy of 28.5 lbs. With light-bike 650b rims(built to 420 grams) laced to DT 350 hubs with Nevegal 2.35 and Ardent 2.25 this a mix of XTR/XT w/ X.0 cranks and 125mm Lev it's at 29 lbs 5oz.

I weigh 195 without gear and I have no problem running 180 front/ 160 rear rotors, and I ran that on my Firebird as well. I did 2800 feet of descending today and the 180/160 is plenty on the steeper long descents.

I rode my carbine as a 26" for for three weeks waiting on my 650b rims and building the wheels. It was a great bike! On 650b wheels this is my all time favorite bike and constantly say there is nothing else I need out of this bike and any limitation is rider induced. The 650b drop-outs only add a 1/4 inch to the stays, to total 17" and there is plenty of room for big tire on the back. This bike was meant for 650!!!

It has the holes for a bottle holder.

I've never ridden a Burner, let alone any Turner, but it looks good and the latest review say it's great.

KRob rode both of them at Bootleg Canyon last year so I think he would be a good person to ask.

Good problem to have deciding between two nice bikes; Good luck!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

dwt
    mtbr member

I'm waiting till next year. More bikes, better selection.

Maybe even better prices (not holding my breath).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Yeah, i've been tempted to wait, especially with the rumors of the new SC bike for April 1. I'm just a little worried about unloading my 26" carbon Remedy.

mtbr member
    If you read my Interbike reviews you know we really liked the Carbine 275. There's no way I would know it was converted from a 26" bike if I didn't know it. We rode the 26" version the year before and the 275 seems much more natural, balanced and capable as a 650b than it did as a 26" build.

Tough call on which one to buy. With the excpetion of a faulty shock tune on the demo (which has been remedied with production models) I really liked the Burner as well. I've owned a Turner and an Intense and my experience with build quality and CS with Turner was better FWIW.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been riding my Carbine 275 for a month, and I am impressed. I came off a Mojo HD so the bar is very high. The Mojo is crazy stiff and burly, the Carbine is more compliant, just a touch softer but is over 1lbs lighter on the frame so it make total sense.

The 650B carbine with the CTD fox is plusher! I did not belive it as I had a X Fusion Vector HLR on the HD. I have never liked fox rear shocks but man did Intense and fox nail it, ok some of its the wheels but not much as I tried the HD as 650B. The BB was to high for me at least (abot 14.3). The HD clims a touch better because of the additional anti squat, but its a bit less plush. We are talking nuances not big differences.

Same exact build but I9 650B wheels compared to I9 26" Fox 36 float Formula Brakes 2x10 X9 Drive Hansdamf 2.35s.

I have learn to get along with the 160 rear by being smoother and using balanced braking.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Whats the BB high on the Carbine 275 (which fork)?

74 & 29 pilot
    Mine is 14" on the nose unsagged with a Fox 36/160. That is with a Nevegal 2.35 front and Ardent 2.25 rear. It's perfect for my terrain as I'm riding over big rocks all the time.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have not measured mine but I am now running the float at 535 (150mm) so with a front is a hans damf 2.35(pretty tall), rear is an ardent 2.25 (average) I am guessing 13.5- 13.7

Intense lists 13.7 i think with 545 fork and 2.35 Neves

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The built bike weights are pretty close to the burner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    I have been riding my Carbine 275 for a month, and I am impressed. I came off a Mojo HD so the bar is very high. The Mojo is crazy stiff and burly, the Carbine is more compliant, just a touch softer but is over 1lbs lighter on the frame so it make total sense.
    So the carbine was 1 lbs. lighter in the frame? I would have thought in the other way around. I've rear the HD 140 was about 6.1lbs for a medium with the Intense coming in at closer to 7 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    So the carbine was 1 lbs. lighter in the frame? I would have thought in the other way around. I've rear the HD 140 was about 6.1lbs for a medium with the Intense coming in at closer to 7 lbs.
    Here's a picture of my small carbine with 650b dropouts, XT BB, axle, QR and shock right at 6 lbs 1 oz. Without the BB and axle it'd be about 5.76 lbs.

27.5 (650b) fever - Page 12

I hear the black carbines are even lighter as the paint adds weight to the frame.