ride more
    Mar 2007

trying out 650b in the rear

been running 650b in the front since early summer, on this old rush I put together from left overs, it has been getting way more attention than the other bikes. Thought it was time too try the rear, so far I have only ridden it around the neighborhood, but I think I'm in love.... It was very muddy and I had no clearance issues. p.s. thanks Brandon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NedwannaB

Double take!

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    been running 650b in the front since early summer, on this old rush I put together from left overs, it has been getting way more attention than the other bikes. Thought it was time too try the rear, so far I have only ridden it around the neighborhood, but I think I'm in love.... It was very muddy and I had no clearance issues. p.s. thanks Brandon.
    First pic it almost looked like a backwards 67.5er! Is that a Talas or Float fork up front? Thinking of 1x9 setup? Looks great.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    yep the angle of the first pic is weird, but hey it's freezin out there... I think the fork is a float, whatever came stock on a 3Z ? I'm thinking of running 1x9 on my next project, I got new Prophet frame out in the garage see.....

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Just a quick update, I'm not sure if it's better or just different? I can tell my bb is higher and it seems too roll over stuff better, but it feels different? I need the weather to break so I can get out on a long ride I guess.

NedwannaB

Curious to see.....

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    Just a quick update, I'm not sure if it's better or just different? I can tell my bb is higher and it seems too roll over stuff better, but it feels different? I need the weather to break so I can get out on a long ride I guess.
    ......what kinda different. Weather break karma comin atcha so you can hit the dirt and figure it out.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    thanks Jmac

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Putting the 650b rear wheel would steepen your head angle back to what it was originally. I'm curious how this turns out, since I'm going to get a new wheelset for my 07 Rush and I'm still debating whether I should go 650b up front or all around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    Putting the 650b rear wheel would steepen your head angle back to what it was originally. I'm curious how this turns out, since I'm going to get a new wheelset for my 07 Rush and I'm still debating whether I should go 650b up front or all around.
    I went w/ a 650b front only on my Turner RFX. Even w/ a 518mm Pike (RFX's are spec'd w/ a 535mm fork) the 650b front only made the bike feel lazy. I will have a 650b rear built up by weeks end. The larger front wheel changes HA and trail.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I went w/ a 650b front only on my Turner RFX. Even w/ a 518mm Pike (RFX's are spec'd w/ a 535mm fork) the 650b front only made the bike feel lazy. I will have a 650b rear built up by weeks end. The larger front wheel changes HA and trail.
    Fwiw, you do have to adjust your position relative to the BB when doing a front wheel only conversion. Having said that, if you haven't changed your position yet, adding the 650b rear wheel should get you back to your original position, just a little higher off the ground.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Fwiw, you do have to adjust your position relative to the BB when doing a front wheel only conversion. Having said that, if you haven't changed your position yet, adding the 650b rear wheel should get you back to your original position, just a little higher off the ground.

Cheers,

KP
    "adjust your position relative to the BB " What exactly does that mean ?

I did remove 12.5mm of spacers from under the stem to offset the 1/2" taller 650b wheel / tire. The steering was lazy like I added a taller fork - noticable on flats and descents.

mtbr member
    it means you will be further behind the bb as the front of the bike comes up because the rear wheel contact point is the fulcrum. not necessarily a bad thing...or at least worth a try...

for example, i initially put a longer rake fork, a 28.%" front wheel and a 26" rear wheel on my 29er frame. this tipped everything back...but relaxing the angles was nice. then i put a 650b rear wheel in and it tipped forward again, a little, and was better yet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    it means you will be further behind the bb as the front of the bike comes up because the rear wheel contact point is the fulcrum. not necessarily a bad thing...or at least worth a try...

for example, i initially put a longer rake fork, a 28.%" front wheel and a 26" rear wheel on my 29er frame. this tipped everything back...but relaxing the angles was nice. then i put a 650b rear wheel in and it tipped forward again, a little, and was better yet...
    I understand that would be an issue for climbing but as I stated the lazy, slack, slower steering is on flats as well as descents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would not be worried about a slightly more slack HA on a Rush. It has fairly XC geometry, so I doubt it would get too chopped out. The RFX is a different beast as it runs a slacker HA to begin with.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    another update..... rode about 4 hours yesterday in really rocky, slippery conditions and one big plus is I seem too have better traction. Which should be size related since my previous rear 26" tire was a nevengal or cinder both offering good aggro tread. The bottom bracket height felt more natural this time, took some getting used too? I had 1/10 the # of pedal strikes, so that was a huge posative.