Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trek goes 650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trek goes 650b

Good news to see another big american brand stepping up.

Trek Goes 650B - Press Release - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post

...So Euro market only?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Trek will offer Remedy and Slash 650b models:

Trek Debuts 650b Models

Mo.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bikes look fantastic. Good for Trek. Specialized can keep the 26" die hards IMO and watch the sales slip away.

Carbon Remedy is freaking yummy but I want that KTM orange paint job of the Slash.

More great options for 650B!!!

dwt
    mtbr member

Trek goes 650b

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Bikes look fantastic. Good for Trek. Specialized can keep the 26" die hards IMO and watch the sales slip away.
    Also the "29'er Trail and AM bikes are just great" crowd

And then there was one. How long will they hold out?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    And then there was one. How long will they hold out?
    Literally! I give em a year at most before they cave but it's gonna be interesting and also how they back-pedal on all their 650b wheel size statements. Love how the 26" die hards still think it's a fad most likely never having ridden a 650 bike for any length of time if at all.

swag ho Administrator
    Our coverage is here:

Revealed: Trek Remedy and Slash 27.5/650b | Mountain Bike Review

These will replace the 26er Remedy and Slash. Basically, this is the trend as most companies are killing 26er and replacing with 27.5

Bontrager has awesome new wheels called the Rhythm Elites and they will be used here. XR-3 and XR-4 tires will be used.

Specialized will have no 27.5 in 2014 and they will probably replace 26ers with 27.5 in 2015.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Literally! I give em a year at most before they cave but it's gonna be interesting and also how they back-pedal on all their 650b wheel size statements. Love how the 26" die hards still think it's a fad most likely never having ridden a 650 bike for any length of time if at all.
    I don't think they are holding out, they admit they have been testing 650b and don't have a bike ready yet. I fully expect a 650b Stumpjumper Evo and Enduro next year (MY '15)

Shame that Trek spec the Evolution fork on the 8, would have been nice to see a Performance series on there. It makes a big difference and is what Specialized have on their Expert level bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post

I also can't help but thinking there might be some awesome deals on perfectly good 26ers in the near future...hmmm...
    ===================================
    and everything else 26 specific, as in rims & forks at least
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't think they are holding out, they admit they have been testing 650b and don't have a bike ready yet. I fully expect a 650b Stumpjumper Evo and Enduro next year (MY '15)
    Nah, they never said anything about not having a bike ready. They said they have tested the size and saw no real benefit or performance increase so they will eat some crow at some point. How they address it will be amusing after their stake in the sand stance for this long.

I've believed for a long time Spec. will have a "B" bike. Just a matter of time. When they apply their freakishly short CS design to all their FS bikes that will be pretty cool. The death of the FD or at least models designed without it also looms large. Norco carbon Sight for 14 you will be able to buy either way.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Our coverage is here:

These will replace the 26er Remedy and Slash. Basically, this is the trend as most companies are killing 26er and replacing with 27.5

Bontrager has awesome new wheels called the Rhythm Elites and they will be used here. XR-3 and XR-4 tires will be used.

Specialized will have no 27.5 in 2014 and they will probably replace 26ers with 27.5 in 2015.

It seems that Spesh drank the 29er koolaid so much that they actually believe it now. Seems to me that they will be losing out on all the 650b sales while Trek/SC/Giant/etc. will sell out of their productions. I can't see 26" lasting very long now.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Baby Bear is in the house
    Are those seat tube angle measurements actual? I'm hoping they are, as they seem awfully slack. In which case, what would be the effective angles?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Specialized is waiting for their lawyers to finish filing the patent for 650b, then they will release a bike and sue everyone else.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Specialized is waiting for their lawyers to finish filing the patent for 650b, then they will release a bike and sue everyone else.
    Ah, knew it had to be something like that so they could weasel their way out of the corner they backed themselves into

mtbr member
    Removing the cynicism, Spec'd has a product cycle and they don't break that very often. They have been riding and testin 275 for a few years now and don't see a benefit to the wheelsize. That's obviously not the only lens through which to see the marketplace. They spent the last year or two moving Stump fsr to 29r, building EVOs, building the Enduro 29r and on the new SWAT stuff (which is really cool).

The demand for 275 bikes is minimal and many people will stick with 26 because it's what they already have. For a lot of people, switching platforms is a big deal.

I have had conversations with quite a few people who say 'yeah, I like Android a lot more than iPhone but I have all my music in iTunes'.

The 275 market is tiny right now. They won't suffer for waiting.

BUT, I'm considering a Trek for the first time in my life with that purty 275 Slash in orange. I'll keep my stump fsr 275 bike for racing though.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Removing the cynicism, Spec'd has a product cycle and they don't break that very often. They have been riding and testin 275 for a few years now and don't see a benefit to the wheelsize. That's obviously not the only lens through which to see the marketplace. They spent the last year or two moving Stump fsr to 29r, building EVOs, building the Enduro 29r and on the new SWAT stuff (which is really cool).

The demand for 275 bikes is minimal and many people will stick with 26 because it's what they already have. For a lot of people, switching platforms is a big deal.

I have had conversations with quite a few people who say 'yeah, I like Android a lot more than iPhone but I have all my music in iTunes'.

The 275 market is tiny right now. They won't suffer for waiting.

BUT, I'm considering a Trek for the first time in my life with that purty 275 Slash in orange. I'll keep my stump fsr 275 bike for racing though.

mk
    Oh come on now, did you really have to ruin all our fun doing the logical approach thing? Party pooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I did see an interview with Brad over at specialized and he stated they are testing 650b prototypes right now but they are not ready. With both Giant and Trek doing away with 26 I think specialized will be in earlier than even they thought. My bet is that, the new stumpjumper (since it wasn't redesigned this year) will be a 650b. Now with these other companies releasing 650b, I wouldn't bet against specialized doing a release in September or October ( kind of mid year like the enduro 29)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Keeping my 26 Fuel but will be picking up 27.5 Remedy....oh yeah
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is not something to be glossed over IMO. The Bonty Duster, Rhythm Comp, and Rhythm Elite rims are pretty darn nice. Especially their TLR rim strip setup which is really good. The XR-3 and 4 tires also get pretty good reviews.

More choices again....

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    As far as Specialized is concerned I did not like the fact that no-other full suspension bike they've released this year utilized the Taco Blade and 16.9" chainstays. That's like saying "we've broken the chainstay barrier and dont need 650b" and then going back to traditional full suspension 29er chainstay lengths.

The other issue with Specialized is availability. I might have chosen a Enduro 29 over a 650b option, but there needs to be a surplus of last years bikes on the market with some wiggle room for lower than MSRP. I don't forsee that happenings until late 2014.

Lastly, there is still the travel factor. Although "only" 160mm, the Slash, Range, Genius LT, Carbine, and many others all have at or over 160mm travel, and I think it will be quite some time before we see any decently light, decently efficient 170mm FS 29er.

It seems like you can get short stays or long-travel, but you can't have both unless its 650b.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I can't wait. That Orange Slash is sexy looking... Has anyone seen any prices yet? I can only assume they will be around the same price range as the current 29er Remedy and Slash.
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7
    2015 Trek Stache 8

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I was in the store yesterday speaking with the Trek guy about prices. Keep in mind, Aussie costs for these, but all the Remedy's match pricing on the 29er range of them, with the Remedy carbons being in the same ballpark as the Fuel EX's.

Actually got a tough decision to make, Australia doesn't get many of the Remedy's in. There's a shipment of the 29'ers coming over now, but it's tiny, there's only going to be about 3-4 of each popular size, and most are expected to disappear on pre-orders or shop staff when they land in September. I have a major hard on for orange though, and that Remedy 9 and Slash 9 make me want to forget how well 29ers fit me.

Geo link btw.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    LOLZ. It's funny cuz it's true.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Trek goes 650b

Somewhere out there, David Copperfield is crying softly into a glass of warm milk.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Somewhere out there, David Copperfield is crying softly into a glass of warm milk.

Name:  crying over spilled milk.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  6.7 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast