mtbr member

Trek EX with 650B front and rear

The 650B Trek EX-perience

I put together a short video of a 650b on a TrekEX8 that was loaned to me to evaluate. This is a link to that The 650B Trek EX-perience – My Blog

I regularly post video of riding.........some of it is good :-)

My Blog

NedwannaB
    Cool vid. Looks like some great riding out there.

Couple Q's, what year and is that a carbon or alum frame model?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member

year/frame material

Aluminum Frame - 2011 - O yeah the miss spelled words in the video are only proof I did it myself - no reflection to the dealer who loaned me the bike to evlauate :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Cool vid. Looks like some great riding out there.

Couple Q's, what year and is that a carbon or alum frame model?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I mentioned the same thing to Francios about his on-camera reviews:

Don't try to talk and film at the same time, unless it's dead quiet or you've got remote mics with foam over them.

Your better off filming first, then doing an audio/voice over later on while inside.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I mentioned the same thing to Francios about his on-camera reviews:

Don't try to talk and film at the same time, unless it's dead quiet or you've got remote mics with foam over them.

Your better off filming first, then doing an audio/voice over later on while inside.
    Had an opportunity To share some information and that's the best I got. A very much appreciate any tips and suggestions to doing it better thanks for taking time to post

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, had no idea even the smaller 650B wheels will fit a Fuel EX frame. I knew they fit a Remedy but the EX I doubted from just looking. Pretty cool and thanks for sharing the info and video.

So a shameless plug here for the brand new, never built up, 2012 EX9 frame set I have for sale in the classifieds that will apparently also work with some 650B wheels as well. 18" virtual, 17" actual is the size.

Brand new 2012 Trek EX9 frame, 18" virtual, 17" actual - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Ex

That must me a small tire, my wheels wouldn't fit my EX with Nevagals, I actually had about the same clearance with my big tire 26ers. Have you measured the overall height of the tire, just wondering if you actually gained anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.D View Post
    That must me a small tire, my wheels wouldn't fit my EX with Nevagals, I actually had about the same clearance with my big tire 26ers. Have you measured the overall height of the tire, just wondering if you actually gained anything.
    I was thinking the same thing. The tires almost looked dwarfed by the wide rims. I think any frame that is deemed 650b compatible should be able to fit or have confirmed fitiment of a a mid sized tire.

Uncle
    The IRDs are reportedly smallish, perhaps <2.0". Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but they certainly worked for the OP's conditions. Probably has the option to run a bit more volume with smaller knobs too, like a Racing Ralph; certainly the Quasi Moto. Nice video.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

NedwannaB
    What gives? Where's the bb ht Q? Are you loosing interest in the 650 scene or what?

Uncle
    Ha, JMac, you're on it! Jazzed that he's built up a 650b bike. I didn't ask about the BB height because I'm certain I wouldn't pursue a build like his. I'm all about the hardtails these days, so I'll save my questions for a more appropriate (for me) post.
    What I want now, is just about what I wanted before, and so far the Kona Explosif and the new Chameleon are the closest candidates. That said, I don't need the sliders, and could get by with alloy just fine (or Ti, or steel, or even carbon). We're getting closer though. Perhaps Cotic or some other Euro brand will make it happen before too long.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Ha, JMac, you're on it! Jazzed that he's built up a 650b bike. I didn't ask about the BB height because I'm certain I wouldn't pursue a build like his. I'm all about the hardtails these days, so I'll save my questions for a more appropriate (for me) post.
    What I want now, is just about what I wanted before, and so far the Kona Explosif and the new Chameleon are the closest candidates. That said, I don't need the sliders, and could get by with alloy just fine (or Ti, or steel, or even carbon). We're getting closer though. Perhaps Cotic or some other Euro brand will make it happen before too long.
    PLenty of 650 opportunities coming down the pike to ponder for sure..

mtbr member
    the tire was a 2.1 -

in the beginning of the video you should be able to pull of the tire the complete specifications.

I only measured to see if it was a safe enough clearance to not do an auto eject - Any tire change or inflation change on something like this need be verified - no doubt! My bike I run the gravity 2.3 (26") I experienced no disadvantage on this day in these conditions that ranged from frozen ground to just the opposite...