mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Trek Demo Day recap: Remedy 650B vs. 29

I was fortunate enough to spend about 30 minutes each on the Remedy 650b and 29er today at a factory demo.

Flowy woods trails, rolling hills with some rocks and roots. Not overly technical. Both bikes would probably be considered "too big" for the terrain.

Me: 195, 6'3" , mid pack sport class.

For tighter, twistier, downhill parts of the trail the 650B was more fun due to more nimble handling. Front end felt very planted and precise. It just carved the turns so nicely. I felt like I was riding quicker, but probably was not actually moving any faster than on the 29er. More fun doing little jumps off rocks. Flew in the air a little better. Stand up and throw the bike around. Had fun choosing lines.

The 29er was easier to ride, more point and shoot. Sit down and pedal. I could be lazier with line choice. Also a bit faster on the gravel roads. I felt higher off the ground and a little more upright which made ducking around trees a more awkward. Once the momentum got going you could almost be lazy. BUT, if you lost the momentum, it took just a little longer to recover.

The 650B was probably a little quicker in the tight stuff, but the 29er was faster everywhere else, meaning the 650b wasn't fast in as many places, so it was slower overall in the terrain I was riding.

Gut feeling afterwards was that the 650b would be more fun riding solo just for fun. It was more playful. But if I was on a group ride with some fast guys pushing the pace, the 29er would be a better choice.

Could other terrain yield a different conclusion? Sure.

Another guy about my size claims his lap times were identical on the two bikes (and also the Fuel ex 29), but that he had more fun on the 650B....

mtbr member
    "but that he had more fun on the 650B...."

Sounds like all the reason you need for picking the right bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rumble....good back to back comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    "but that he had more fun on the 650B...."

Sounds like all the reason you need for picking the right bike.
    Just depends on your needs.

When I ride with my GF and slower friends I want a fun playful bike and fast is actually not all that helpful as I have to wait for them frequently as is.

On rides with faster guys that keep me on the edge of the puke zone I want the fastest bike possible and not puking is fun!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Just depends on your needs.

When I ride with my GF and slower friends I want a fun playful bike and fast is actually not all that helpful as I have to wait for them frequently as is.

On rides with faster guys that keep me on the edge of the puke zone I want the fastest bike possible and not puking is fun!
    My sentiments exactly. When I ride alone, 27.5" trail bike (27 lbs) is the pony chosen from the stable, and I screw around a lot, and try to get air on kickers and ledges (on which I am apt to mess up, due to lack of talent).

So on group rides, especially with other 29'ers in the mix, I'm in trouble if I don't take my 25lbs. Tall Boy c. Otherwise too much trying to catch up.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey Rumblefish, what size of the Remedy 650b, in particular, did you demo? How did it fit you? How wide was the bar and did you like the width? I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and a max seat setting of 80 cm (bottom bracket to seat top) and was wondering about the fit for you. Thanks, Nick

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

The 21" fit really well in stock trim. I'm about an inch taller and inseam is maybe half an inch more. The bar was slightly narrower than the 29er. Overall loved the feel.

I ended up on a Scott Genius 910 since I got a great deal, but the remedy 650b was also high on my list. I ride endurance xc so 29er made more sense at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks RF29. Interesting, I found the bar (750 mm) on the 21.5" Remedy 650b (steeper head angle setting) a bit wide for me when I was at my full 80 cm seat extension and on an extended climb, ie. felt a bit stretched out width wise. Surprisingly I felt more stretched out than on the 29 Fuel EX in the 21.5. When I lowered the seat on the Remedy for trail riding it felt much better and comfortable. Maybe the stretch out at extended seat height was due to the more relaxed seat angle of the Remedy compared to the Fuel EX. Regardless as controllable as the wider bars might make the Remedy for downhills, they are a pain when they cause you to hit trees on narrow trails. :-) Still don't know which one I will go for - the Fuel EX 29 or the Remedy in 650b. They are very similar in terms of quickness in the steering. The Remedy in 650b was better on the steep downhills since I wasn't as forward, but the Fuel is sweet on everything else. As always, maybe it is better to get a bike for what you will do more often - like fast trails - rather than the couple of times you might be on steep downhills and/or rock gardens. I think the Remedy in the 29 might be off the table because I would lose too much of the quickness in the 650b which is more similar to the Fuel EX 29. Decisions decisions. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If I was strictly trail riding for fun, and putting the bike on the car to get places, I would probably have chosen the 650b just because it was a little more playful. But I spend a lot of time spinning along on roads and paved or gravel bike paths to get to trails. And, we have a ton of roots and chunkier rocks where the larger wheels really are noticeable.

There is really no wrong decision; both are awesome bikes and will go plenty fast with enough seat time and learning how the bike needs to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    With a name like rumble fish I have to ask. What did you think of the remedy 29 in comparison to the rumblefish assuming you owned one.

I'm on a rumblefish right now riding what sounds like similar trails, some might say a remedy is just too much bike but I like to have fun, get off the ground and mow rock gardens every chance I get, and I'm finding that I'm hitting the bottom of my travel almost every ride.

mtbr member
    I am shocked (literally, surprised and giggling like a school boy on every ride) on how much fun my 650b (conversion) 2013 Remedy 9.9 carbon is. With a 1x/Wolftooth and SRAM X9/X0 drivetrain is simple, light and fast.

Burly but light (27lb) build. 1650g, 23mm ID Sun Ringle' Charger Pro SL's definitely help the fun and 'on rails' factor. (Next wheel set will be hookless carbon 650b, 30mm ID, I'm sold on light/stiff wheels.)

I rode the same trail back to back (White Ranch - Belcher, Longhorn, Shorthorn, Longhorn... quick loop/out and back). Yesterday on my 120/100mm XC/trail 29er and today on my 150mm 650b conversion. On paper the XC/trail 29er *should* climb better. My watch says that I was faster today on the 650b. I simply charge harder, faster, flow-ier... My experience says that I had more fun on the 650b.

Seriously: Fun. Smiles. Giggling. More fun than my old Trek Fuel EX, Spesh Enduro and Gary Fisher Roscoe. (All of which were fun bikes).

I love the speed and efficiency of a 29er, but they feel dead and numb to me. To the point that I've found myself considering selling the 29er and building something similar to a 5010/Solo... (But that would be too close to my 150mm 650b Remedy, so XC 29er & AM 650b it shall remain).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    With a name like rumble fish I have to ask. What did you think of the remedy 29 in comparison to the rumblefish assuming you owned one.

I'm on a rumblefish right now riding what sounds like similar trails, some might say a remedy is just too much bike but I like to have fun, get off the ground and mow rock gardens every chance I get, and I'm finding that I'm hitting the bottom of my travel almost every ride.
    I had a 2011 base model Rumblefish that I liked a lot. It's only flaw was how squishy the shock was. Even in lockout mode there was considerable movement. It was a really nimble bike for a 29er yet also stable downhill. I was not a huge fan of the Remedy 29 for whatever reason. Granted my RF had the stem dropped lower and flipped upside down to make it more XC like, and I had chosen tires I liked.

I rode the RF the same day and walked away saying "I like the bike I have a lot!" And was not about to fork over $3k+ for something new. The 650b was cool mainly because it was different. I really had no need to switch from the RF to a Remedy 29.

I ended up on the Scott because instead of owning, maintaining, and upgrading separate AM and XC bikes, I could get one high end bike that can do it all, for me. A 28 lb 130mm 29er with rock solid lockout and good climbing geo is pretty close to having you cake and eating too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently spent a day with a Trek demo trailer and hours on Remedy 650, Slash 650, Remedy 29 and Fuel 29. I loved the Remedy 650 but the whole experience also left me in love with my 26 wheel Transition Covert.

Seems to me that a lot of riders don't know how to pump or do low level flight without their feet clipped to the bike. If you know how to do those to you want something more playful and responsive vs bike version of a Kenworth. That left me most impressed with the Remedy 650 and other brand 29 bikes that are more slack with shorter chain stays. The Remedy 29 was probably the sleeper of the day but did feel heavy compared to the carbon 9.8 with lighter wheel/tire.

The Remedy 650 in reality was better than on paper. Also nicely responsive to the CTD switch compared to some bikes.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    I have a Remedy 29er and a 26 DH bike... I run better strava time on my Remedy on most of the trails at Trestle Bike Park / Winterpark. I enjoy the flick-ability and playfulness of my Status, but the Remedy is just more confidence inspiring and more fun to ride fast. Totally bogus comparison but I like my wagon wheels.
    2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er + 150mm Pike
    2012 Specialized Status II + Boxxer World Cup