Thread: trek 69er 3x9

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

trek 69er 3x9

Does any one have the weight of their 69er 3.x9? Also was wondering what upgrades people have made to their bike? I am thinking of getting one for racing. I was thinking about getting an XTR or XT crank. Also would like some ideas on what tires people are running and what wheelset. I am thinking about getting a race day wheelset and using the dusters for training and all around riding. are people running flat handlebars or risers?

mtbr member

small changes

Not sure on weight, about 25lbs. The changes i made were- sram xo rear deraileur and twist shifters, bashring,wtb saddle and tires. I am running racing ralphs and love them!! I have always bought bikes and immediately started replacing parts with bling stuff, this time i told myself to wait until sometrhing fails then replace. After a summer worth of riding everything is holding up fine, i like the flat bar and the wheelset is holding up. The lx crank is also working good, when it acts up i will replace it but for now i just ride it........

Mac & Jacks African Amber
    I have only "upgraded" the cassette due to slippage from time to time. I now run the '08 XT 11-32. The SRAM OEM part would slip in uphill and heavy torque conditions. I am 6'4" and 255 on a 21.5" frame '08. As stated above, the LX crank is great, not a hint of creak or groan. No need to consider this part for changes. Lastly, I replaced the OEM Bonty tire with the Kenda Nevegal 2.35" on the rear after wearing the origianl down. In hind site, I would opt for the 1.9 version Nevegal only due to overall pedaling efficeny went down from the OEM tire.

Due to my wingspan I replaced the narrow (for me) bar with a 50mm rise 710mm width riser. Should have found something a little bit narrower, like 690mm.

For anyone else reading this, I can't say enough about this new frame. Soild, no shimmy in the 21.5" I think it is a real value for the quality of both design and construction of this frame.

My two-bits
    My Current Rides:
    '09 Trek 69er SS '08 Trek 69er 3x9 HT

Master of the Obvious
    I have had mine for 10 months now and I still love it, I have upgraded my brakes to juicy 7's, swapped out the bars for some wide Salsa's added a Thomson stem and a Salsa post clamp. I am running the wheels tubeless and I am swapping out the shifters to XT this week and will probably upgrade the cranks to XT in the near future. I am also planning on picking up a 09' 69er SS this Jan.....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've gone with XTR STI shifters and disc brakes, XT cranks, and Stan's ATR 355 rims with XTR centerlock hubs. I'm runnning WTB weirwolf up front with an exiwolf in the back. I like the big sweep bars, so they remain on the bike, but I have gone with a Thompson laidback post. I love this bike. I'm looking forward to the singlespeed coming my way with the Fox front end.

responsible zombie owner
    the tyres you want depend on the terrain you'll be riding. some people hate the bonty xr's but for the dry, dusty conditions i ride apparently they're pretty good. i'm getting Kenda SB8s just in case but i have to say in the short time i've had trying out the 08 69er i can't see anything i want or need to swap immediately. the cranks are well made, the bar gives plenty of control and sweep, and even the Bontrager Race saddle seems light and comfortable. right now i'm just waiting for frame patches to prevent the cables rubbing the paint!

edit: nobody seems to know much about the Dusters but i'm assuming they're heavier but possibly also wider than the Races on the 08. i would give them a trial before swapping them out, if they are wider than normal the extra cornering control might be a worthwhile payoff for extra weight. on the other hand, everyone who takes advantage of the Bontrager Tubeless Ready wheel/tyre system seems to rave about it so that might be worth doing ASAP.

mtbr member

current setup

I also have a Eno rear wheel built up for SS duties from time to time. I love the Racing Ralphs!!!!

I'd rather be riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    I have had mine for 10 months now and I still love it, I have upgraded my brakes to juicy 7's, swapped out the bars for some wide Salsa's added a Thomson stem and a Salsa post clamp. I am running the wheels tubeless and I am swapping out the shifters to XT this week and will probably upgrade the cranks to XT in the near future. I am also planning on picking up a 09' 69er SS this Jan.....

Angus and others. What diameter Salsa seatpost clamp did you use on your bike? I have the Top Fuel 69er and it has "36" imprinted on the seatpost clamp. Don't know if that is the same as on the 3x9 or not. I was wondering if the Salsa 36.4 mm Flip-lock clamp would work as a replacement for my 36mm clamp?

As far as tires go, for the time being I am using a Rampage 2.35 on the front and a Karma 2.2 on the back. This combo sticks well for me in wet and dry conditions over the rocks and roots that we have in the southeast. I will probably stick with the Rampage in the future because I really like it. I would however like to try a Fat Albert on the rear. Anybody have experience with it?

Qatarbhoy...I like your Avatar!

responsible zombie owner
    kmacon, consider it a tribute from the light side of the force...