mtbr member
    Mar 2013

trance x advance 27.5

To those who owns the giant trance x advance 27.5, how do you find it during climbing steep hill and also in cornering?

Do you think composite is way to go for am riding or shall I just purchase the alloy version of trance 27.5?

I am coming from trance x 29er, this is very slow and difficult to manoeuvre and slow to climb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I am wondering the same thing maybe jeff lenosky can shed some light on the subject since he has raced both for enduro racing. I to was on a 29er, but a stumpy evo that I sold for a 27.5 do to same issues as you slow and difficult to manuever in tight lines. I having a lot of trouble deciding between pivot mach 6, santa cruz bronson and giant trance advanced sx 27.5. Not many people on here have ridden the trance advanced to give a good review.

mtbr member
    I have had my advanced sx for awhile now and managed to get several rides in before the snow.

Comming off the trance 29x0 with a 140mm fork and offset hardware, its a tough call as too which one is the better decender. Its really a toss up. Both bikes do that part really well, but in different ways when it comes to different angles of descent.

The advantage the 29 brings is slightly larger contact patch for traction in corners and the larger wheel rolls over more. The 27.5 wheels feel stiffer due to the shorter spokes and its easier to drift, which suits my style of riding. Also noteworthy is the fact that the 27.5 wheel carve a tighter arc during corners, so there is less urgency when entering corners, at high speed, to get way outside at the enterance of the corner in order to make the apex.

In climbing the 29er wins for smooth ascents. For slow technical climbs the advantage goes to the 27.5. Worth noting too is the 27.5 wheel sizes ability to accelerate mid climb over the more sluggish 29er acceleration. On flat sections the 29 has the advantage in gearing due to the larger wheel. Having run the same exact set up on both I can say that you will be riding two cogs down in the back while pedalling along on the 27.5. Not really an advantage or disadvantage one way or another. You might find yourself running a 24/38 on the 27.5 as opposed to the 24/36 that I was using on both to test them out.

Comming from an extensive downhill back ground, I like the 27.5 more overall. It feels like a trailbike with a dh bikes attitude. The 29 is more like a xc bike with a trailbike attitude.

Which one you choose really depends on you, your preferences, intentions and experience.

On the frame...construction is the best Giant has ever done. One small weakness is the rear 142x12 hanger and axle nut. I feel that alot more thought could have gone into the design of this part. Riders will at some point have issue with the M30.516mm retention bolt. If you do bend yours, thats the size you need. Internal routing is improved and easy to use.

Can't say much more till spring time when I get to shred it more.
    Last edited by Maestroforlife; 11-24-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    Pinning it since 76'

gd2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just picked up the giant trance advanced 1 27.5 and I am coming off a tallboy ltc. The Trance is more "entertaining"; its easier to change lines, boast airs, and it feels like it begs for me to get out of the saddle when climbing. The longer wheel base with the slacker head angle adds a great deal of stability and confidence on high speed descents. Its light and climbs great too. ON it, I have climbed through some tough spots that I had never made before.
    The tallboy ltc is also a magnificent bike. It always felt as if it wanted to keep me in the saddle a little more on the climbs. On High speed descents it clobbered over everything but was a little slow to change lines (not a lot). Its an great all day rig that can do it all and take you to some great places...
    If I had miles and miles to cover and explore I would go with the tallboy ltc.
    If I just had a few hours to play with I would go with the trance.
    And thats not to say that the other bike couldnt do it well either..

I did have to change a few things on the trance. The od2 steerer is annoying... the bars are akward and nooby nics arent my favorite tire.. so I went with chromag for the cockpit.. wtb vigalante up front and an ardent in the rear. The wheels seem to be okay, probably going to switch them to some I9s on arch rims soon though.. the foundation is there though. and a full Xt drive train is great!