mtbr member

Tough decision. Your advice please!

2009 Stumpjumper FSR 26". I want to setup a second pair of wheels for purely XC style fast riding (fire roads and smooth single track), whereas my primary wheelset is currently configured with knobby slow but strong tries for more gnarly, all mountain type riding I do about 80% of the time.

I already have:
    1. A spare (complete) front 26" wheel
    2. Two virtually new XC race tires (Bonty XR0)
    3. A rear disc rotor

I have a $700 budget (thank God for bonuses!)

My options are:

1. Pick up a semi-decent rear wheel (~$200) and 9sp cassette ($60) t complete my spare wheelset and use the difference to purchase a LEV dropper post (for the gnarly stuff) and a couple misc. items I need,

or:

2. Pickup a complete 650b wheelset from light bicycles ($640 ship) and a cassette ($60), and then stretch a bit to purchase a couple 650b racing tires (FF or RR for $120?)?

Will I notice that much of a speed difference/improvement in moving from 26" to to 650b wheels on my stumpy? Will my handling in general be messed up given the bike's design was never meant for 650b? Will it be strictly a placebo effect and I would be better off with the Lev and using what I already have to complete a second 26" wheel set?

This decision is driving me nuts. I would really appreciate some advice.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Save your money and get another bike next year. In the meantime try to test/demo/borrow some new/high end 650b and 29" (and 26") bikes to see how you like them. Throwing $700 at a nearly 5 year old bike is probably not really worthwhile IMO.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

jrm
    mtbr member
    You should be able to build a 650b wheelset for much less then $700. I think my blunt/ hope pro II wheels ran me about $350 complete. heres a nice wheelset w tires for $350. 650B/27.5 Wheelset - Stan's Flow Rims on American Classic Hubs - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Walt. Thanks. Not bad advice. Problem is most bikes I "want" are like in the 5-7K range, and it this rate it will take me years to save up. I just don't have the patience.

JRM. Good idea. The link you provided shows they are sold. Where/how did you put together your blunt/hope set?

Thanks guys!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Fair enough. IMO 650b is not going to drastically change how your bike rides (for better or worse) especially if you're going from big/knobby 26" to smaller/XC 650b tires. Overall wheel diameter is going to be very similar in that scenario, though obviously the XC tires are going to roll a lot faster. Worth the cost of wheels, tires, tubes, disc rotors, cassette, etc? That's your call but I would save my money for something (maybe used if you're on a tight budget) that is actually what you want.

If you find a shop that has a J&B account, they often are selling XT/Blunt SL wheelsets for very cheap (not allowed to tell you the wholesale price but retail would be <$350) if you do decide to go the new-wheels route.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Just a flesh wound
    The Stumpy is a good bike. If it takes 650b front and back, then go for it. I converted my C'Dale Prophet and I am very happy with it. Definately faster, though that might have more to do with the vastly improved wheelset and Neo Motos.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think 650B wheels and tires bring new life to an older 26" bike. It did for me and my Scott Spark. I don't ever ride it with 26" wheels any more...
    http://www.my650b.com/ 650B Tires and Rims

jrm
    mtbr member

That was fast huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorin_2 View Post
    Walt. Thanks. Not bad advice. Problem is most bikes I "want" are like in the 5-7K range, and it this rate it will take me years to save up. I just don't have the patience.

JRM. Good idea. The link you provided shows they are sold. Where/how did you put together your blunt/hope set?

Thanks guys!
    i think i posted that link @ 8:30am PST and poof there gone in one day. Well someones stoked. i bought my hope pro hubs @ chainreaction and the blunts from universal and had my LBS lace um up for me. I dont know if id go the blunt route again with all the other options out there at comparable prices though. Im running a WTB wolverine up front and a neo moto in back. The wheels are mounted on a converted 08' 5spot with a TALAS 150/15mm.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys