mtbr member

Too many rim choices!!!

I know this is a spoiled statement, because I remember the days when there were only about 3 choices and they were rarely ever in stock.
    But seriously there is a ton of new choices since 6 months ago! Spank and Halo both have some nice mid range offerings, and Alex strides ahead with 2 New choices at 27 and 30mm width for $40 or less!!

Anyway, I'm looking to lace a moderately stiff wheel (compared to my usual race wheels with dt rev spokes) and I'm contemplating between a beefy rim or beefy spokes, at 160 and having never knocked a rim out true from riding, I think I can get away with one or the other, but I want a stiff feeling wheel so not both. So what's stiffer, a 500g 27 or 30mm rim laced to 1.8 spokes, or 2.0 spokes on a 400g rim??

650b me
    I remember reading in Jobst Brandt's book that a stiff rim is the key component in a stiff wheel. By comparison, I believe spoke gauge doesn't affect wheel stiffness much, as long as they are properly tensioned.

mtbr member
    Well I know that double butted spokes are claimed to make a stronger build because they have some give in the butted center. I don't know if 1.8mm straight will be noticeably more flexy than 2.0 tho?

NedwannaB
    I'm a light rider and was having a 650 front wheel built by Universal and they started out saying they could do them with DT Revolutions, they came back saying only with Super Comps, finally had to settle for Comps with a DT480 rim and went brass nipples. It's ok would have liked it a little lighter but it's a solid 15mm t/a front trailbike wheel, no complaints.
    Last edited by JMac47; 02-28-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    I was feeling good about the alex rims for the width, but the XD-lite, SX44, and FR30 all share the exact rim profile. The only measurement I could find was for XDlite, claiming 17.5mm internal width vs 24mm external, thats a huge difference! By that measure the SX44 at 27mm would only be 21 internal.

The WTB frequency might be my all around winner, 23mm internal, 460g, and the ibeam design should make it hella stiff, all for $60.

I've basically made a spreadsheet of all of the different rim options, comparing internal, external width, and weight. will have to post that up when i get a chance.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    I was feeling good about the alex rims for the width, but the XD-lite, SX44, and FR30 all share the exact rim profile. The only measurement I could find was for XDlite, claiming 17.5mm internal width vs 24mm external, thats a huge difference! By that measure the SX44 at 27mm would only be 21 internal.

The WTB frequency might be my all around winner, 23mm internal, 460g, and the ibeam design should make it hella stiff, all for $60.

I've basically made a spreadsheet of all of the different rim options, comparing internal, external width, and weight. will have to post that up when i get a chance.
    That be great!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't forget about the Sun Inferno 23, 25, and 27 rims. Ask Morpheus how he likes them.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    "I'll take 'Thread Titles I thought I'd never see' for $500, Alex".