Baby Bear is in the house

Hope Titec H-Bar or Groovy Luv Handles? (x-post from SS forum)

I'm currently in the process of converting my 69er rigid SS to 650B. I'm fully sold on the big sweep/funky bar phenomenon, but need a bar wider than the one I have now (25-degree sweep 580mm wide generic riser). I've narrowed down my choices to the Titec H-Bar and the Groovy Luv Handles.

My 1st choice is the H-Bar, since this is going on my 1 and only bike, which serves as both trail bike and on-road commuter. I can see how the multiple hand positions will be useful on long road (or even off-road) rides. My concern with it is that 45 degrees may be a little too much sweep. My current 25-degree bar is super comfy while sitting, but gets a little iffy once i stand to mash (could be the narrow width though). I'm thinking a little less sweep than 25 degrees might be the ticket, thus the Luvs. What I like about the Luvs is that it's steel (arguably stronger), it's lighter, can be ordered custom, and you get to support a small, cool company/guy. Main gripe is price (and another point mentioned below).

The problem now is, the Titec seems to be out of stock almost everywhere. And where it is available, either they don't ship to where I am (the Philippines), or shipping costs would almost double the price of the bar (e.g., PricePoint) or SRP is more expensive than the Luvs! (e.g., USD90 @Universal Cycles; wait, they don't ship to here either... "Universal" ...Hah! ).

My question about the Luvs is, does it offer other hand positions apart from the normal grip section? Say, do the welded junctions offer a narrower, more forward position similar to that welded section on the H-Bar? Is it worthwhile wrapping this section with grip tape as is done on the H-Bar? Or is the normal grip position so "optimal/ideal" that alternative hand positions aren't necessary anymore? Similarly, are the grip ends just past the welded section "grippable," like mini bar-ends or will the brake levers just be in the way?
    I've no way of trying either bar as i don't think anyone locally has one (or even knows these bars exist).

FTW I've yet to decide if I'll be using Ourys or the Ergon knock-offs I'm currently using (very comfy, but I miss the ability to wrap my fingers all the way around the bar as with a round grip, so I'm leaning towards the Ourys).

Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...

Pardon the long-winded post.
    'appreciate any input.

P.S.
    If someone could point me to an online shop that ships to the Philippines and has the Titec H-Bar for USD90 or less (including shipping), my problem is solved. Nashbar has the best price I've found but they don't ship to the Philippines. Jenson ships, and has a fairly good price, but they're out of stock
    Help!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Personally, I use a H-Bar with oury grips and it rocks. I don't have the feeling that 45 degrees sweep is too much. In fact, it feels better than the 40 degrees of the Mary bar which is on my girlfriend's bike. Standing and mashing works very well, too.

Can't help you with the Luv Handles, although I admit the idea of a custom length steel bar is, well, seductive.

mtbr member
    Anyone using the newer Titec JBars? The flat version of the HBar?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Your generic bar is fairly narrow. The 21.5 degree sweep of the Luv Handle is fairly similar in the amount of sweep the generic bar has, leaving width as the major factor in its comfort while climbing. Given that you seem to like the H-bars I would assume that you might prefer greater sweep while climbing and since the sweep between the generic bar and the Luv Handle is negligible, I'd say you need to take that H-bar offroad and do some climbing. You'll have a better idea of what you want and maybe at the end there will be a few more H-bars in stock.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Having ridden both the H-bar and the Luv bar, I am in love with the Luv bar. Immediately natural feel with no learning curve. Best bar I've tried. I'll add that there are other hand positions but I feel like my gloves offer sufficient padding as I am 99% of the time in the grip unless I'm on a flat section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I recently got a set, have about 50 miles on them, and they're working out well. You can kinda rest your hands at the intersection of the bars if you're just motoring along on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by lml1x
    I recently got a set, have about 50 miles on them, and they're working out well. You can kinda rest your hands at the intersection of the bars if you're just motoring along on a smooth road.
    You're talking about the Luvs right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    You're talking about the Luvs right?
    yeah, the luvs. another thing i like about them is that the middle bar is a bit ovalized or flared at the ends. it give 'em a bad-ass look.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    I am in love with the Luv bar.
    That's a great photo - Groovy should use that for promotion! Is that polished titanium? Stock four degree rise, or zero-rise?

it's....
    Luving my Luvs, but one problem if you choose to go with Ergons.
    Due to the thick paint, it's extremely hard to get the Ergons to slide on the bar.
    I ended up using a mallet to get them on, but then you can't twist the grips at all so be very careful of the grip angle during the initial install.
    I also had problem with Danger Boy bar end slugs for lock on grips for the same reason of bar getting out of spec due to the thick paint.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Quote Originally Posted by pinepig
    Is that polished titanium? Stock four degree rise, or zero-rise?
    Yes polished ti. Stock rise.

rmb
    mtbr member
    The Luvs are amazing, comfortable and look great too.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    Having ridden both the H-bar and the Luv bar, I am in love with the Luv bar. Immediately natural feel with no learning curve. Best bar I've tried. I'll add that there are other hand positions but I feel like my gloves offer sufficient padding as I am 99% of the time in the grip unless I'm on a flat section.

I'm assuming that these are shimmed? I think I see it. What did you use, the Jones shim?

update

Got the Titec H-Bar. Got a good price on JensonUSA (and shipping wasn't so bad), but totally got screwed by local customs duties and taxes

Thanks to everyone who threw in their 2 cents

The Luvs are still on my Lust/Wish list though. Some day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titec H-Bar or Groovy Luv Handles? (x-post from SS forum)-im126262_vga.jpg  

Crawfishy
    Jun 2004

Luvs

r1Gel, good job on the Homegrown. I have to thank you for starting this thread here. Because of that I was able to get a set of Luvs for my Soma B-side. I really like them a lot. After 20 years of riding, this is the first year I was suffering numbness in my hands and arms (ulner nerve) and these have done the job with eliminating that. Hope you can get your hands on some of these someday too.
    "98% of us will die at some point in our lives" - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfishy
    r1Gel, good job on the Homegrown. I have to thank you for starting this thread here. Because of that I was able to get a set of Luvs for my Soma B-side. I really like them a lot. After 20 years of riding, this is the first year I was suffering numbness in my hands and arms (ulner nerve) and these have done the job with eliminating that. Hope you can get your hands on some of these someday too.
    Thanks and you're welcome
    Glad to know that someone else benefited in my "quest for knowledge."
    The B-Side is actually also on my wish list

bonked
    I'm happy with Luv Handles too, though like any bar it takes a little tweaking of the angle to get em to feel right.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I dig my LUV bars so much...I bought another pair

it's....
    Has anyone else tried Ergon grips on your Luv Handles?
    They fit so tight due to the thick paint that I couldn't rotate the grips at all once they were force on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am having the exact same problem with the Luv's. I can't get my Ergons' on and off easily. Although, it seems confined to one side. I finally got the grip off after alot of struggle. I took the bars off the bike. Like them but too much hassle getting the grips on and off. I also have problems get my xo grip shifters on.
    Last edited by Haystack Calhoun; 12-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.

it's....
    I had to use a razor blade to cut the ergon grip off, it would not come off otherwise.
    I still think the thick paint is the reason.

bonked
    I haven't had a problem with fitting controls or grips, nor removal of the aforementioned items.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get a bamboo bar! That is what they have in the Philippines........they are all good depends on you. Sorry, after a few drinks, stupid Q's get stupid answers...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have Luv Handles one one bike and the Mary bars on another and luv em both. They are different but similar, if that makes any sense. Definitely agree that dealing with the guy that makes the Luv is cool though. Simple Paypal transaction and Luv shows up in the mail (eventually). Dig small maker businesses like that. I got the Ti bars as both my bikes are fully rigid and he recommended em for some cushion and I think it is working good so far.

The Mary's are on my Surly 1x1 which has Velocity 650b wheels on it BTW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have two LUV bars...i'm about to buy another set

feel great...only wish I could afford the TI version of them

Carlos