mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tire choice for Fox 36 VAN 170mm? Help?

I've read and searched for hours.

I know that the fork (Fox 36 Van spaced down to 170) can take the 650b but I'm seeing smaller tires for the most part.

I use Maxxis Minion 2.5's right now on my 26" bike. I don't need to stay that big but I do like the bigger tires for the rock gardens and rollers around New England.

What's the biggest similar tire that will fit in there.

I plan on building a wheelset with Stans FLow EX or Pacenti Dl31 and going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Schwalbe,Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35 is all but 2.5 wide side knob to side knob on a Stans Flow rim and has proven durable and tracks well in all conditions.

74 & 29 pilot
    Just to give you another point of view, the HD 2.35 actually measures 2.35" at the knobs and is a large volume tire; I run it on the front at 23 psi and I'm about 210lbs with all my gear. There have been MANY, MANY complaints about the Trailstar compound not being very durable. I had a knob tearing off the casing in 20 miles, but with Stan's and Gorilla glue I will run it till it's dead. Now, at about a 100 miles the knobs are starting to come apart some, but people say the grip is still very good even after this gets worse. I like the tire quite a bit, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $50 for it.

Look at Vee rubber trail taker 2.5, the Flow and Fluid tires that are just hitting the market.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire choice for Fox 36 VAN 170mm? Help?-img_3049.jpg  

Tire choice for Fox 36 VAN 170mm? Help?-img_3110.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Much appreciated guys. Thanks for those pics.

I can't find anyone local that has 650b that I can put on my fork to check for clearances. It scares me to drop the money on rims / tires and find out it doesn't work.

Have you seen anybody use the 650b Vee rubber trail taker 2.5 on the fox36? Still have good clearance?

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman-X View Post
    Much appreciated guys. Thanks for those pics.

I can't find anyone local that has 650b that I can put on my fork to check for clearances. It scares me to drop the money on rims / tires and find out it doesn't work.

Have you seen anybody use the 650b Vee rubber trail taker 2.5 on the fox36? Still have good clearance?
    DUDE! Try the search function instead of continuing to ask questions that have been answer many times here already.

I hate being an enabler, but the weenies here will say I'm being MEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAN for just saying "use the search function."

This will get you started: http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/27-...ce-833399.html
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Tire choice for Fox 36 VAN 170mm? Help?

Thanks for your input mtb.

Sent from my phablet with Tapatalk 2