mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Three new bikes from Transition.

I'd have called them 650s - oh well.

This looks like good news because I love my original Covert. The new Bandit looks like it could be built as a lighter bike to complement it, and the TransAm would be nice to have. Same for Covert but I don't think I need a 160 mm bike at my age.

I've been completely pleased with my Transitions and hope they keep on with solid bikes, good parts selection and value in addition to super handling.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice looking bikes. To bad the BB heights will be to low for serious rocky technical terrain (IMHO, but I can't stand low BB heights). ETT length on the Bandit is not long by recent trends. Now the Trans Am sure is.

mtbr member
    I love that TransAm 650! Looks beautiful!
    I ride faster than I should...

mtbr member
    damn, i'm not going to be able to sell my bottle rocket and hard tail now.

i need to sell both of them to get an xl covert.
    SOLD: 2010 EWR OWB 29er
    SOLD: 2012 Transition Bottlerocket

2013 Banshee Spitfire XL Red

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Yep I would have liked to seen a longer Bandit. Definitely want to run them with 170mm cranks or if you are shorter 165mm's.

Regardless I will likely be on a Bandit 275 next year.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Liking the Trans AM
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Early 2013 reviews of the Covert made it sound like a complete dog going uphill, which is interesting because folks thought the Bandit was a good climber. I hope that the redesigned incorporated some better suspension characteristics for climbing, or at least the shocks do a better job.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Early 2013 reviews of the Covert made it sound like a complete dog going uphill, which is interesting because folks thought the Bandit was a good climber. I hope that the redesigned incorporated some better suspension characteristics for climbing, or at least the shocks do a better job.
    My Covert doesn't get the climbing traction my Horst-type bikes had but it hasn't stopped me from loving it and flipping my shock platform switch does a lot. It can make me want another more sophisticated suspension again as I consider 650 wheel bikes but I can't forget the simple and strong suspension has never creaked, clicked, or had maintenance I did on my Specialized or friends did on their Santa Cruz and others.

It's a lot of fun to see all the new bikes, budget, think about them. I'll get all excited about a bike that costs $1000 more then I remember these are consumables and $1000 saved buys another trip and a bike for one of my 3 growing kids. Last night my kid next in line for a bike cleaned a rocky rooty climb he's never done. Funny how that and being out there are so valuable so in one day I've gone from wanting more sophisticated bike to caring less.

I will try to cool it with ideas to purchase until I can try some of the new single pivot bikes. Also wonder how a bike like the Knolly would do or Horst-type with more platform. That because my Specialized could keep the rear wheel planted so well under power even though it could also wallow or float too much on smooth climbs.